Advanced search  

Poll

How did you learn how to play?

Tutorials
Trial and error
Freind/Family teaching you
Other (Post what it was.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How Did You Learn How To Play  (Read 2745 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: How Did You Learn How To Play
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:31 pm »

Initially, with the help of CaptainDuck's tutorials. I gave up shortly after though and didn't make much progress.

Then with renewed interest I came back, and I believe I learned through trial and error along with the Wiki.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:06:04 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »

I (mis-)learned the game first by reading the legendary Boatmurdered.  I then actually learned how to play it by reading the wiki and compiling my own guide on how to not get completely curb-stomped while building up a massive empire.
Sanity is for the weak.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:02:46 pm »

I trial and errored and then followed 'Undecisives illustrated tutorial' or whatever it was called. I am so grateful to whoever made that because it kjept me from quitting DF do to WTFing and the screen through my first two embark and stare at the wagon for several seasons before aborting.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 10:50:10 pm »

I started on 2D version when 40d was out. Someone told me that 2D was easier. I got in the groove of 2D.

Then I went to 40d, could do okay there, learned it and managed to make a fort survive. A week after I told myself I was comfortable with my knowledge, 31 appeared.

I've not touched it yet. People are complaining of bugs and whatnot. I like stability.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 11:00:29 pm »

Most of the bad bugs have been worked out. I think the most major ones left are underground farm plots requiring mud and dungeon masters not showing up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »

I was introduced to and taught how to control the game in the most basic manner by a friend. After that, I learned it on my own and by browsing the forums. I never posed any real questions though, just watched.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 11:37:19 pm »

Brute force and ignorance. Had lots of fun too. And I mean enjoyment, not fun.

Well, I did abandon a lot of forts there, but still, it was enjoyable!

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 02:24:03 am »

Youtube Let's Plays for basics and wiki for the finer details

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 04:28:45 am »

In 2D 8)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 04:47:36 am »

I think it was hearing about Boatmurdered and reading the LP was what brought me over to the forums and made me want to play.

I read actually read a lot of the forum and other people's questions before I played for the first time.  Then I looked up some tutorial and followed parts of it, but figured out a fair amount on my own using what I had heard about on the forums to give me hints about which wiki articles I should read.

It was this influence that made me into the person I am today:  someone who laughs maniacally while dropping elves into a volcano.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:01 am »

CaptainDuck, trial and error and the wiki...oh and the forum 8)
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:18 am »

Boatmurdered.  Panicked texts to the former roomie who introduced me to DF.  The wiki.

Or, at least, those WILL be my answers when I learn how to play...  Does one ever truly learn to play DF?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 07:13:10 am »

The wiki. I started fooling around right when 31.18 came out. Took me three days to realize there was more than one Z-level. DOY!
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 07:27:27 am »

Well I somehow got onto the boatmurdered forum thread and that lead my to this site. I perused the forums and saw that captainduck's tutorial had started from the very beginning of the game and I did more of a play along. I ACTUALLY took notes while watching his tutorials, hints like bins are used for storing items.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 07:33:35 am »

By playing. And by asking people on this forum, on the TaleWorlds forum, and on this couch, and by looking at the magmawiki. :)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4