Advanced search  

Poll

How did you learn how to play?

Tutorials
Trial and error
Freind/Family teaching you
Other (Post what it was.)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How Did You Learn How To Play  (Read 2742 times)

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Did You Learn How To Play
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:18 am »

Most of the bad bugs have been worked out. I think the most major ones left are underground farm plots requiring mud and dungeon masters not showing up.
Yes, because military and hospitals are unimportant and actually unneeded parts of game. Nothing major, really.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 09:14:13 am »

And the mud thing is not a bug. Trial and error. Wiki. Mostly wiki. How I remember my one tile wide stairways...
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 09:48:18 am »

To be honest, i dont think any of us will ever stop learning how to play.
It has so many different moments that seem the same, but aint.

:)
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Avarage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:29 am »

Since I prefer to learn by trial and error, but knew about the wiki right off the bat, I tried 2 forts on my own. The first one, I managed to dig a basic bare-bones fortress. But then I couldn't figure out how to make booze or food, or farm to get the ingredients for said goods. Dehydration did my fort in. Similar story with the second fort. Then I read one of the beginner embark guides on the wiki, and took it from there. It was a fairly even mix of trial and error and consulting the wiki.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:47 am »

To be honest, i dont think any of us will ever stop learning how to play.
It has so many different moments that seem the same, but aint.
:) Ditto.
My learning history has been:
1: Tutorials
2: Wiki + Trial and error
3: Now: Daily forum reading + Trial and error.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 10:22:16 am »

I started back in the 2d days. I learned the game by trial and error, with some help from the forum. I had lots of !!FUN!!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:48 am »

Boatmurdered, wiki, then forums (I came in late enough that my first few posts were greeted with 'wait, you're playing 2D?').

Never been able to stick with a tutorial, because I want to know the hows and whys of what I'm doing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 10:34:15 am »

Sold my soul to the wiki for a few days, then started playing. There was still a lot of error.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 12:28:19 pm »

Three cheers for CAPTAINDUCK and his great tutorials.  I had always wanted to play DF - but honestly I was concerned that it would take way too much time to learn it before I could start enjoying it.  But I started listening to Captainducks youtube videos during compiles - not only did I learn the basics, but also the general way of just how to interact with the interface and the sim.  Also he has a great voice that is fun to listen to.  You hear him and think "Well -he doesn't sound crazy and yet enjoys DF - I bet I could too".

After a handful of those, I started gen'in worlds, embarking, and havking FUN over and over.  After that the WIKI became (and still is) very key.

The11th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 03:01:00 pm »

A friend introduced me and got me set up in my first dungeon, told me about farming, etc. Then I read Boatmurdered and the wiki tutorials, and from there I've pretty much done my own thing.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 03:46:18 pm »

I worked through the tutorials at the same time I was trying to play. I never would ahve gotten into the game without Captainducks tutorials, even though they were out of date when I was watching them. I nearly screamed several times "Why can't I plant anything!", and so forth. My first dozen forts or so died of starvation or thirst. Then I breached an aquifer, flooded a few rooms 7/7 with water (oh, you're not supposed to do that?), and died via ambushes and sieges over and over and over again.

Heck, I'm only now starting to get halfway decent.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

fijkus

• Bay Watcher
  • "Reapers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:55 pm »

I read about the game on TVTropes. I then found the saga of Boatmurdered, and then the wiki. I started to read the wiki, and it is a help, but most of the things I have found have been through trial and error. I’m still on my first functional fortress (not any flux or metal, but a ton of rocks, a lot of gems and a decent number of trees) so I’m going to keep on experimenting before it inevitably collapses.

For example, I have just discovered that I could make walls and am now closing off the hole that leads to my farm. I am also trying to make my fortress militia into something that can make my fortress survive the first siege.

Jamesein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:47 pm »

Heh like most i saw Boatmurdered, downloaded the game, spent three days trying to figure out how to ANYTHING, gave up for a week, looked around and found the wiki, and just kept hitting random page(I spent a week of free time doing this mind you), and that is literally how I came to everything i needed to get me into the real FUN.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »

I still have no idea how to play, I just know how to build crap and not die.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to figure out why my farms aren't working.....again
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4