Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Freelancer - Better late than never.  (Read 12287 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freelancer - Better late than never.
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »

Edit: I just realized something that blew my mind.
Outcasts' flag is the cross of The Knights of St. John, with their home planet being Malta. Their arch-enemy is the Corsairs. The Omicrons are the Mediterranean of the 16th century.
And they're all pirates! Ahaha!

Has anyone else loggon that server recently though? Can't help but feel that race is an awful long way away!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:25 pm »

Edit: I just realized something that blew my mind.
Outcasts' flag is the cross of The Knights of St. John, with their home planet being Malta. Their arch-enemy is the Corsairs. The Omicrons are the Mediterranean of the 16th century.
And they're all pirates! Ahaha!
It's interesting how otherwise (fluff-wise) uninteresting games, manage to show surprising depth... The backstory tends to be rather interesting when you get into it (if you ignore the plot-holes, and general sillyness)... At least how discovery seems to portray it.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:47 am »

It's interesting how otherwise (fluff-wise) uninteresting games, manage to show surprising depth... The backstory tends to be rather interesting when you get into it (if you ignore the plot-holes, and general sillyness)... At least how discovery seems to portray it.
Quite true!
(But... Don't point me out to any plot-holes in Freelancer. I'm blissfully ignorant to them thus far.)
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:10 am »

Quite true!
(But... Don't point me out to any plot-holes in Freelancer. I'm blissfully ignorant to them thus far.)
I think he means that the general premise is very silly (SPACE GERMANY VS. SPACE AMERICA! kind of stuff) though I find the universe wholly lovable.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »

I think he means that the general premise is very silly (SPACE GERMANY VS. SPACE AMERICA! kind of stuff) though I find the universe wholly lovable.
I quite agree.. I find the whole thing... Almost cute?
It's like a puppy, it might be really bad at playing fetch, but when it looks at you with those eyes!

But yeah, Space Germany Versus Space America isn't so much a plot hole, since it all adds up in the canon. It's just... Really really badly... Shallow?
I think that may just add to part of the charm, that it's a sci-fi game that you don't need to know tons about, it's very upfront about what it's doing.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2011, 01:29:22 pm »

Okay, so I hate to double post, but I really don't have much choice here.

The race will be starting in an hour-ish (as scheduled previously), and I expect everyone to be ready by then!

The rules are:
1. All characters to register for the race must start their name with [Racer]. Case isn't important.
2. The route is from Sunderland Research Station (Newcastle) to Planet Manhatten (New York). You cannot use jumpholes.
3. You will be carrying exactly 225 units of illegal artifacts in your cargo hold.
4. Cruse Disruptors will be perfectly vaild for use against players, if the game lets them work.
5. You can open fire on any NPC ships. You will also be set to hostile against Ageria, BMM and Orbital Spa and Cruise.

So, as number 2 suggests, there is a set route for the race, so that people who know exactly where all the jumpholes are don't go and leave everyone else far far behind.
And yes, the main challenge of this race is to either protect yourself or flee from heavy hostile fire.

I expect everyone to have turned up at Sunderland Research Station on time, ready to go.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:46:31 pm by Fayrik »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »

Okay, so I hate to double post, but I really don't have much choice here.

The race will be starting in an hour-ish (as scheduled previously), and I expect everyone to be ready by then!

The rules are:
1. All characters to register for the race must start their name with [Racer]. Case isn't important.
2. The route is from Sunderland Research Station (Newcastle) to Planet Manhatten (New York). You cannot use jumpholes.
3. You will be carrying exactly 225 units of illegal artifacts in your cargo hold.
4. Cruse Disruptors will be perfectly vaild for use against players, if the game lets them work.
5. You can open fire on any NPC ships. You will also be set to hostile against Ageria and BMM.

So, as number 2 suggests, there is a set route for the race, so that people who know exactly where all the jumpholes are don't go and leave everyone else far far behind.
And yes, the main challenge of this race is to either protect yourself or flee from heavy hostile fire.

I expect everyone to have turned up at Sunderland Research Station on time, ready to go.
Damn, wasn't home for the start. Is it still going or how did it turn out?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2011, 03:44:41 pm »

Damn, wasn't home for the start. Is it still going or how did it turn out?
Nobody turned up. Heh.

But I ran the route under those rules. It takes around about half an hour. It's quite difficult, 'cause you're always getting shot at. I got hit by a couple of battleship razors too.

We could try again the same time next week or something, if we can get the interest going.
But now that the rules have been posted, everyone can go setup their racing characters.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2011, 07:58:04 pm »

I was there.

Just... would have actually been ready had I had the Discovery Wiki to help. Stupid 403 errors.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2011, 11:30:26 pm »

Charmander, try using a proxy, if you can find one.
It really does sound like someone somewhere's been banned one way or the other.

..Alternatively, I could fetch you small tidbits of info if you know what you're looking for.

Also, now, I'm taking ideas for other events now too! So, if anyone wants to host a PvP or RP event, or anything else, just let me know!

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2011, 01:50:23 am »

I dont know if this was mentioned already but

if anyone liked freelancer, GO and grab X3: terran conflic.... like right now... dont waste more time.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2011, 01:53:37 am »

if anyone liked freelancer, GO and grab X3: terran conflic.... like right now... dont waste more time.
Eh, X3 really isnt the same. I prefer freelancer.
X3 is a super, super, slow version, where everything, including combat is slow.
Its more of a space RTS.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2011, 02:03:57 am »

Lovely, but, uhh.
Just to keep these two trains running on their own tracks.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2011, 02:14:27 am »

Lovely, but, uhh.
Just to keep these two trains running on their own tracks.

oops, my bad, sorry !!

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:06 am »

Charmander, try using a proxy, if you can find one.
It really does sound like someone somewhere's been banned one way or the other.

DTunnel works, so... huzzah.

And *now* have I found the ship I was on about way back when. It's the Camara. Looks like a mini train. OH WELL.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9