Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Freelancer - Better late than never.  (Read 12327 times)

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freelancer - Better late than never.
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:51 pm »

W7 ultimate x64 bit

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »

Where can I get Freelancer, anyway? I've looked for it before but not found it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2011, 06:14:00 pm »

While messing around on the server I discovered that this:

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2011, 06:47:11 pm »

Where can I get Freelancer, anyway? I've looked for it before but not found it.
First post has a couple of links on it at the bottom. It's not that easy to find, but just look anywhere you'd look for old games.

While messing around on the server I discovered that this:
<Image>
Bwahaha! That's great.
Also, so everyone knows, my Aliai(Multiple of Alias?) are Rufus and Bluevoid. I have a couple more but it should be obvious who I am. Generally in some form of gunboat. :P

As for Win7 64 Ulitimate.. Well, that's the version I was hoping to install to. :x
Alternatively... You might be able to try installing with Vista compatibility?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2011, 06:49:19 pm »

Will try that, although i'd advise you to not worry about having problems, my computer is messed up, the installation was bad (I suspect it missed some key files) because i've had to download several dx.dll and other .dll files to get certain programs to work, and even at this present time i'm missing a lot of files.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2011, 08:09:03 pm »

Will try that, although i'd advise you to not worry about having problems, my computer is messed up, the installation was bad (I suspect it missed some key files) because i've had to download several dx.dll and other .dll files to get certain programs to work, and even at this present time i'm missing a lot of files.
Uhh, that sounds like a really bad idea.
If a program has an incompatibility with a .dll in Sys32, try copying the correct one into the program's folder (the one with the actual .exe in it.)
Overwriting causes other stuff to become unstable, but programs will always search their own directory for dependancies before System32.

Also, I'd just like to say, if anyone does log on the server, look out around Planet Gettysberg. (If that's how you spell it.)
I've encountered four Rogue Gunboats there. Two of which where at the same time. They're not easy to take out, but they do give quite a haul. Most of it sells well on the aformentioned planet.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2011, 08:58:05 pm »

If a program has an incompatibility with a .dll in Sys32, try copying the correct one into the program's folder (the one with the actual .exe in it.)
Overwriting causes other stuff to become unstable, but programs will always search their own directory for dependancies before System32.

Also, I'd just like to say, if anyone does log on the server, look out around Planet Gettysberg. (If that's how you spell it.)
I've encountered four Rogue Gunboats there. Two of which where at the same time. They're not easy to take out, but they do give quite a haul. Most of it sells well on the aformentioned planet.
Planet gettysburg or battleship gettysburg? I've never seen a planet unless it's in a system which doesn't correlate with reason. (Just like how Planet Pittsburgh is in the New York system despite the existence of a Pennsylvania system.

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:06 pm »

It's not incompability, it's actually not having those files. For example, I had a program that said I was missing a d3dx9_42.dll file, so I had to go online, download it and add it to the sysWOW64 folder manually, had a number of missing .dll files ranging from d3dx9 to d3dx11 and some other sound files, I suspect the drivers did not install correctly, or the OS installation was faulty. Perhaps this is the reason why I can't install Freelancer  :(. I suspect a complete, clean os reinstall could solve the problem.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »

you have to install directx 9 to get it to work.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2011, 09:39:42 pm »

It's not incompability, it's actually not having those files. For example, I had a program that said I was missing a d3dx9_42.dll file, so I had to go online, download it and add it to the sysWOW64 folder manually, had a number of missing .dll files ranging from d3dx9 to d3dx11 and some other sound files, I suspect the drivers did not install correctly, or the OS installation was faulty. Perhaps this is the reason why I can't install Freelancer  :(. I suspect a complete, clean os reinstall could solve the problem.
I'd never download them from random sites. You might find those dlls are full of viruses...
And, even if that's all you've done, you may find it's easier to put them in the game folder rather than a system one. (Quick google search turned up more than just one reason on why you shouldn't download them individually.)

But yeah, that sounds definitely like a faulty DirectX installation.
I thought that DirectX9/10 came with Windows 7 as standard.. You might want to look around the Microsoft website/Windows Updates to look for DirectX updates or installers.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2011, 09:48:37 pm »

I'd never download them from random sites. You might find those dlls are full of viruses...
I'm not sure, but I don't think it's possible for a .dll to be malicious, they're just necessary for some .exe's to work correctly, and can't do anything on their own.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2011, 09:53:05 pm »

.dll files are made in the exact same way as executables, and can contain the exact same information.
The only thing that differs between a .dll and a .exe is what's called an "Entry point". In other words, there's nothing for the computer to do when you double click on it.

So yes, they can be malicious, they just need to wait for an executable - or another dll to try and access them.

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »

ninja'd

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:58 pm »

Well, I got mine off from this site http://www.dll-files.com/ , so far no problems, I hope they weren't viruses or anything like that.

Anyways, I tried downloading direct x 9/10/11 installations and it would either say that I already have an updated version installed, or that the installation was a failure, again I blame a faulty OS installation for all these bizarre problems.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 12:31:17 am »

you need the sdk installations for the optional runtimes needed
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9