Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Freelancer - Better late than never.  (Read 12336 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Freelancer - Better late than never.
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 03:17:50 pm »

Freelancer felt a lot like the Wing Commander movie. Maybe it was visually what the makers of Wing Commander wished they could pull off? It's funny, Freelancer looks better than the movie did back then :P

I didn't like how there were little spurts of grind to get your next ship and then you were stuck until you completed the next story mission. And how the ships and guns get better and better as you travel around, not necessarily away from the middle of civilization. It's the typical JRPG "this town has better swords!" sort of thing that I'd expect has a Trope listing already.

I liked the procedural dialogue but it desperately needed more variety. I got so tired of hearing the script.

It also had raiders showing up so much more often if you had worthwhile cargo, which I call the "Hardwar Problem". If there are pirates, fine, but have the pirates hang out all the time not just when I have a cargo hold full of rare and valuable Abraham Lincoln fan fiction.

Finally the game really is intensely linear. You do a story mission, then you can run around grinding randomized side missions for money and reputation, then you cap out and have to run the next story mission. I don't recall many divergent paths (actually I can't remember any but it's been a while) and I couldn't find any alternatives in the end of the game. GTA is less linear, but of course you still don't have many choices to make at all (my experience is in GTA 3-4 and Vice City, don't blame me if Rockstar changed their games since then because I have no idea).

That said, it was fun and totally worth $10 or whatever it costs on Steam.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 04:13:57 pm »

Just had a look, and I'm not seeing it on Steam.

And yeah, that's a fair comment, Leo.

But in other news~
Me and Charmandar have been talking about hosting an event on my Discovery server. Possibly something in the way of a Race.
Charmandar suggested it should be a contraband smuggle across at least one system where your cargo is illegal. I'm currently trying to iron out the spesifics (like what and where), but anyone else's ideas at this point are welcomed warmly!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »

Just had a look, and I'm not seeing it on Steam.

And yeah, that's a fair comment, Leo.

But in other news~
Me and Charmandar have been talking about hosting an event on my Discovery server. Possibly something in the way of a Race.
Charmandar suggested it should be a contraband smuggle across at least one system where your cargo is illegal. I'm currently trying to iron out the spesifics (like what and where), but anyone else's ideas at this point are welcomed warmly!
Make it so that attacking another player is not allowed, though doing something like sabotaging trade lanes is alright.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 05:02:10 pm »

Make it so that attacking another player is not allowed, though doing something like sabotaging trade lanes is alright.
That's not bad. We where thinking maybe allowing Cruse Disruptors too. Not sure if it's possible to disable friendly fire or not while having CDs on, but it's all worth looking into.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 05:34:57 pm »

That's not bad. We where thinking maybe allowing Cruse Disruptors too. Not sure if it's possible to disable friendly fire or not while having CDs on, but it's all worth looking into.
um i never had the problem with using CDs to knock out ships online, are you guys targeting the ships?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 08:56:44 pm »

um i never had the problem with using CDs to knock out ships online, are you guys targeting the ships?
Meaning the rules of the race being planned, personally I think the idea of CD's being allowed is good, though I think it would be ruined if it could be turned into a battle.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:48 pm »

In the actual storyline, I could never get past the part where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 11:46:00 pm »

Meaning the rules of the race being planned, personally I think the idea of CD's being allowed is good, though I think it would be ruined if it could be turned into a battle.
Exactly our thinking here.

<Spoiler>
Yeah, if you have a storyline/invincible character in the battle, focus more on not getting shot than shooting others down.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2011, 12:00:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yea man you were supposed to fly around not getting shot until helped arrived and then you blew off to the outside worlds.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2011, 12:30:37 am »

Bugger, I dug out my game but it's having huge problems with audio :<

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2011, 01:05:09 am »

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I can definitely play the game on Windows 7, so long as I don't want most of my sound :/

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2011, 01:09:02 am »

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I can definitely play the game on Windows 7, so long as I don't want most of my sound :/
sounds works for me andi have a mono speaker but the resolution is being a bitch.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2011, 01:24:28 am »

I'm on W7. I fixed the colour and resolution problems on mine by adding -d1024x768 to the shortcut. Let me pick 32-bit colour and stopped the resolution being screwy.

My sound is fine, though.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2011, 02:18:33 am »

Oh hey a freelancer thread... I have played it for so long I know a trick or two. First, remember to follow enemy patrols. They will lead you to !Fun! and warpholes. Two. Remember to use tab all the time.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2011, 02:34:16 am »

You can edit the config files for different resolutions - google Freelancer Widescreen and there's a good guide.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9