Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working the damn military  (Read 938 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Working the damn military
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »

So, how? I've tried following tutorials, but despite what I do, I can't get them to do anything, and the best I've done was quickly drafting dwarves into the military and pressing "k" over monsters. Now I've tried to set up alerts and schedules, and it's all buggered up.

This is what I've done, so please tell me if I've got anything wrong.
I've set up an alert called "Summer Duty" with the intention that the squad does patrols etc in the summer, training in spring/autumn (fall) and has winter off.

Now due to my carelessness all other 3 squads had unfortunate accidents, and my last remaining squad has one legendary axedwarf in it. An fb has appeared during the autumn, as my guy is training. Nw, correct me if I'm wrong, but the "move" and "kill" commands override those of the scheduling, as they're active commands?

Currently the fb has killed 30 of my 50 dwarves and my axedwarf STILL hasn't left his training (which is set to 1 person minimum, but....that shouldn't have an effect when dealing with active orders?)

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but I've selected the schedule as Summer Duty via the squads menu, but when I press "s" to show me the schedule, Active/Training is shown?

Any and all help appreciated  - Lucky.

Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Working the damn military
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:39 pm »

well, if you use danger rooms or arena's to train your dwarves you can also just use the military screen to make a swuad and assign a uniform but no schedules (everthing empty) and than just use [m]ove order to the arena or danger room. It is a lot easier :)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »

If my dwarfs are training, they will stop and respond to a move or kill order. They don't move as an organized unit though, so I've started using the move command to get them all grouped up first, then giving the kill command to send them to an enemy.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:43:48 pm »

I tried giving him no scheduling...and he's training....and it's still showing the active/training schedule when the schedule IS set to summer duty...
Steam page!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »

That's because military dwarves will usually train when they have time off, I think. I never really bothered with schedules.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:02 pm »

If you want your military to behave properly, never issue direct Kill orders - instead, just tell them to Move to a location close to their target and they'll automatically attack it once they're within range.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 02:22:51 pm »

If you want your military to behave properly, never issue direct Kill orders - instead, just tell them to Move to a location close to their target and they'll automatically attack it once they're within range.

This is good to know. I've had soldiers returning to locations where kobold thieves were killed and then standing around. They presented "cannot follow order" on the units screen. Now I know why.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48:14 pm »

I'm a bit confused on what you've actually done.
You set up an alert named "summer duty" first.
Then you set up a schedule, did you set it up under the correct alert?

m > s > active-duty schedule
m > s > * > passive duty schedule
m > s > * > * > Summer duty alert schedule
* is shift-8 of course.

Because it it's set up under the wrong alert, then the dwarves aren't thinking to do it.

Also, do you have a training area set up?
q > Armor Rack > enter > highlight squad > t

That way the dwarves know exactly where to train during their order, rather than just training anywhere they want to.

My first guess is the first part, but it's hard to say without being more hands-on. Screenshots of the menus you used would help.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 04:52:20 pm »

The schedule was for the correct alert.

I think it was just a general bug, as a lot of other weird things started happening/glitching out afterwards. The only answer was purification through magma.
Steam page!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 02:09:33 am »

Use the active/ training schedule for patrolling, sentry duty,guard duty. Set up each month was you want them to do, on its schedule. Use the Alerts for emergencies.
 Bomreck is building a wall on the perimeter, and sees some goblins. As she is running around in terror, see's her cousin Urist, and his platoon training in the courtyard. Yelling at the top of her lungs, she uses fairly rude language to confer to Urist, he better get his marksdwarfs up on the battlements, they are supposed to defend, against invaders.
 So you set the emergency alert for that squad to defend the battlements, Urist then goes with his platoon, to plink the goblins. Then the goblins have been punctured quite nicely, you turn off the alert, they go back to what the squad was doing, before Bomrek started screaming.
 That's the best use for an alert.
  As a afterward, she also was raising such a fuss, you have to set the civilian alert, "Get inside." which they will do, in their alcoholic haze.

Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration