Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Games and DRM expand and discuss  (Read 6059 times)

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Games and DRM expand and discuss
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:27 pm »

Best DRM: cries of game developers. But nowadays the gaming industry is a bit like any other industry- cold, soulless money making machine eating away all who have any talent and spiting their corpses out. Oh and it's backed by evil corporations. That's why sometimes the games they make are boring ;D

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 01:03:11 pm »

[Drm are great :  they mean that paying customer get less than non buyer.
And that's also a point in favor of indie game and free software. I personally love them.
Can't wait for the day you have to hand over your comp for complete inspection before even installing a game. (Bonus point if a tsa style strip search is involved.)

Are you on drugs???!!!! O.o, and I buy loads of indie games and im glad about no DRM in them so much.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 01:17:00 pm »

And that's also a point in favor of indie game and free software. I personally love them.
Can't wait for the day you have to hand over your comp for complete inspection before even installing a game. (Bonus point if a tsa style strip search is involved.)

Are you on drugs???!!!! O.o, and I buy loads of indie games and im glad about no DRM in them so much.

Sarcasm just flies right over you head, huh? :P

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »

Sarcasm just flies right over you head, huh? :P

Heyy give me some credit it's hard to detect sarcasm on a forum >,<

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »

*Snip*
Well, if you stick around long enough and read enough posts from the regulars, its easier to tell when/if they are using sarcasm or not.

I buy PC games without DRM.  Otherwise...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »

*Snip*
Well, if you stick around long enough and read enough posts from the regulars, its easier to tell when/if they are using sarcasm or not.

I buy PC games without DRM.  Otherwise...

Well I have been here for about five months now so I'm not fair off haha >,<

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »

Not really. If I go out and buy a new console, should every player have to buy a copy of the game we're going to play? No.
Actually, it's been argued that this might be why some FPS games are doing away with splitscreen multiplayer. Not necessarily true, but it sure smells something awful.
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 04:54:43 pm »

I've given up on a lot of new games. I have Half Life 2, and a few other games on Steam. Mostly games I'd play once then abandon.

And, actually, I've just lost interest in new games altogether really. Steam has only highlighted to me, just the many thousands of games I wouldn't pay for. Ever.
...Infact, because of steam, I've had more than a few times I've seen games that I'd hesitate to play at gun point. And I wish I was over-exaggurating there.

I've now taken to looking for old games. There's plenty of Fish in the sea, so, surely there's still plenty of old games that are perfectly good that I can play... If I can find them.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 04:57:12 pm »

I've given up on a lot of new games. I have Half Life 2, and a few other games on Steam. Mostly games I'd play once then abandon.

And, actually, I've just lost interest in new games altogether really. Steam has only highlighted to me, just the many thousands of games I wouldn't pay for. Ever.
...Infact, because of steam, I've had more than a few times I've seen games that I'd hesitate to play at gun point. And I wish I was over-exaggurating there.

I've now taken to looking for old games. There's plenty of Fish in the sea, so, surely there's still plenty of old games that are perfectly good that I can play... If I can find them.

I think you might be in the wrong thread there dude. You're looking for the complain about games thread.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 05:20:30 pm »

Yeah, I know.  Its a bit of a bummer compared to how things were in the old days, but there is a pretty good argument that your friend SHOULD have to buy a copy of the game to be able to play against you.

Not really. If I go out and buy a new console, should every player have to buy a copy of the game we're going to play? No.

Total Annihilation and Dark Reign handled this wonderfully and they were made ages ago. TA lets you install multiplayer only version. DR only lets you play multiplayer if no cd is inserted.

Now see, this is exactly the reason why it's been changing over time.  Consider.

Back in the old days, single-player was the main reason MOST people bought the game.  Not everyone even could play multiplayer.  And frequently, playing multiplayer compelled people to buy the single-player campaigns.

Now, a majority of people acquire games exclusively for their online components.  This no longer works.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 05:35:35 pm »

Yep. Although to be fair, there are many productions today that are SP only (Dragon Age, ME, Just Cause, ect....) that cost millions to make. While that may be pocket change compared to the BILLIONS a popular MP game can produce, they've still got reasons for DRM on SP only games.

But yeah, I fondly remember a time when devs gave away MP for free as long as they were assured you paid for the product.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »

Yeah, I know.  Its a bit of a bummer compared to how things were in the old days, but there is a pretty good argument that your friend SHOULD have to buy a copy of the game to be able to play against you.

Total Annihilation and Dark Reign handled this wonderfully and they were made ages ago. TA lets you install multiplayer only version. DR only lets you play multiplayer if no cd is inserted.

Now see, this is exactly the reason why it's been changing over time.  Consider.

Back in the old days, single-player was the main reason MOST people bought the game.  Not everyone even could play multiplayer.  And frequently, playing multiplayer compelled people to buy the single-player campaigns.

Now, a majority of people acquire games exclusively for their online components.  This no longer works.

There are plenty of games in the past that most people bought mostly for multiplayer. Most Blizzard games, most FPS games post quake, etc.

This was back when you'd buy a game, play through singleplayer and then play multiplayer for months because of extensive amount of mods and new levels and stuff. So multiplayer was a pretty huge draw. And while not everyone had the internet, nearly every game let you plan LAN.

I don't know of any games where playing multiplayer convinced people to pay for the singleplayer? Which ones gave away the multiplayer and then sold singleplayer seperate?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 05:46:57 pm »

Man, the idea of DRM that means only one person can play it is ridiculous. What about families with two or more people who love certain games and buy them to play lan?
I've got to be honest, though I try to buy games that I like and do so regularly, I almost always get the DRM-free versions of games as of late. I've never played a game that didn't have drm to begin with and not paid for it, but I can't say the same for ones with DRM.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 05:53:19 pm »

I can't remember them directly off the top of my head, but in the days of Shareware, you could often buy a full copy and then spawn versions on other people's PCs with the dev's blessing. They saw it as a form of marketing. And I'm sure it actually worked on some level, back when they might be making games for as cheap as $50,000k in today's money.

Today's cutting edge games are completely different beasts now though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 06:05:39 pm »

Yeah I know many games had spawn versions, but people who played a spawn/shareware copy and then bought the game weren't necissarily doing it for the singleplayer campaign.

Speaking of DRM though, I got Wings of Prey in the christmas steam sales. Normally I try and check games out before I buy them, but the steam seasonal sales are my weakness. This thing is terrible, Installes securom or some other such crap, only 3 installs maximum, and it installs some stupid 3rd party yuplay thing that you need to run to play the game.

I wish the devs had just called the game "fuck you customer" and made it clear from the start. ¬_¬
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7