Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Games and DRM expand and discuss  (Read 6022 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Games and DRM expand and discuss
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »

Check this out.  http://starmen.net/mother2/gameinfo/antipiracy/

That... is actually kinda' awesome. I mean, sure, I'd 'raeg' if something like that was put into a game nowadays (and I actually paid money for it -- I stick to FOSS stuff nowadays, mostly due to hardware limitations :-\), but in '94? That's pretty canny, especially considering how much smaller less well known piracy efforts were, back then. Thanks for the link!

When did all this piracy hullabaloo start up, anyway? I mean, the big dogs using it as an excuse to push control over digital/intellectual material, etc, etc.

As an odd thought, I just now realized I should be wondering what kind of (if any) negative publicity th'major publishers are drumming up by pushing DRM measures. Would th'piracy scene be as large and efficient as it is now if th'big dogs had just let things lay? Reminds me of the fancy new bacteria we've got growing in response to antibiotics :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »

Normal Copy protection (the old kind, like just having a serial you put in) was fine, and I don't get why it needed a change.

Because it didn't take too long for at least one publisher to see how easy it is for someone to put a string of text on the internet and then, allegedly, have this affect their sales.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2011, 10:47:09 pm »

I get your point, but I said things like that, not strictly just serials.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:38 pm »

When did all this piracy hullabaloo start up, anyway? I mean, the big dogs using it as an excuse to push control over digital/intellectual material, etc, etc.

Piracy has been around at least since the Commodore 64.  I remember my dad ordering pirated games from shady magazines when I was a kid.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »

Normal Copy protection (the old kind, like just having a serial you put in) was fine, and I don't get why it needed a change.

Because it didn't take too long for at least one publisher to see how easy it is for someone to put a string of text on the internet and then, allegedly, have this affect their sales.
Some companies still use old copy protection like that and do great. Namely Paradox, can't really think of another example at all. The necessity of the serial to post on a game's forum is pretty clever, too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:02 pm »

Piracy has been around at least since the Commodore 64.
Yes, of course*, but there wasn't nearly as much mainstream-ish attention to it, from what I remember. Nowadays you get freaking news articles on it and junk. Certainly the publishers weren't using it as an excuse -- then, at least -- to push for thing like SecuRom. Obviously, that's what it morphed into, over the years, but I'm kinda' curious when the big 'counter-attack' type stuff started happening from the publishers' side and major groups started pushing out Zero Day material like clockwork and so forth and so on.

* Probably even earlier. I can only imagine there were knock-off Go boards or whatever back in the BCE.

E: I now totally want an ancient knock-off-brand Go board.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:55:45 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:55 pm »

Spiderweb Software (Geneforge/Avernum serieses) also uses serials,though they're much less known than Paradox.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »

I miss my old code wheels, like the ones for Starflight or this baseball game I used to have.

Starflight II was also pretty neat.  You get this great fold-out starmap, which is useful on your own, but also a little overlay thingamabob.  The game asks you to put it at coordinates foo,bar and tell it how many red and blue stars are in that region, and if you get it wrong, after a little while the space police will pull up alongside your ship and blow you away.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:13 pm »

* Probably even earlier. I can only imagine there were knock-off Go boards or whatever back in the BCE.

E: I now totally want an ancient knock-off-brand Go board.

Me too.  Go rocks, and an ancient knock off brand would still be pretty valuable.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2011, 11:51:39 pm »

I don't mind orwellian rules under the justification that you're meant to get a license to a thing rather than a thing- as long as it means you reap the benefits of that as well.

For example, if you need internet to play the game, you should be able to download and play your account anywhere. You should be entitled to updates of the software. If cybercafes were more popular here, I can imagine people playing on public computers.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »

But no matter how supposedly justified, Internet should not be required to play singleplayer, unless it is actually an online (flash, non-mmo rpg, etc) game. requireing it for multiplayer is perfectly reasonable, but for singleplayer its just plain power abuse.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 12:06:07 am »

Indubitably. *sips tea*
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2011, 12:42:04 am »

Piracy has been around at least since the Commodore 64.
Yes, of course*, but there wasn't nearly as much mainstream-ish attention to it, from what I remember. Nowadays you get freaking news articles on it and junk.

There were no articles about it in the news back then because there weren't ANY news articles about games at all really. It was all just previews/reviews ad the like. There might've been a few magazines specifically devoted to gaming news, but they wouldn't have been widely published.

And you can't have a knock-off go board, because noone owns the rights to go, and back when it was created the concept of intellectual property and copyright hadn't been invented. So no knock-off go or chess for you. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2011, 01:02:26 am »

I wanna say DRM started for real reals probably....I dunno, '94 or something. Starforce fucking with your BIOS is the first I ever heard of DRM.

Piracy is about as old as the first BBSes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2011, 05:05:40 am »

personally I think DRM's should go back to how you lot described earlier in the thread, where games when pirated would have a fault with them like, a gun firing out of line or the game not letting you past a certain level or deleting everything you have done. That seems like a batter idea, and is not sticking a big middle finger up at the consumers who buy the game.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7