Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Vaccination against drugs  (Read 4945 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Vaccination against drugs
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:39:22 am »

http://io9.com/5725864/cocaine-vaccine-could-make-drug-addiction-a-distant-memory

So researchers paired up a cocaine-ish molecule with a virus and injected it into mice.

The result?
The mice developed anti bodies that target cocaine.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccination against drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:57 am »

Whoa, that is both scary and awesome.

"Come on children, get your drug shots!"
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:47:55 am »

Sounds a less than good idea. Many drugs can have a therapeutic use that would be blocked this way. Plus, what about the drug-bound antibodies? This could end up with the formation of immune complexes, causing damage to different tissues.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:48:58 am »

I can see for a severe addict who is trying to quit.  It would probably cause damage, but less so then the actual drug addiction.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »

I can see for a severe addict who is trying to quit.  It would probably cause damage, but less so then the actual drug addiction.

I don't think it would help a person that is already an addict.  It doesn't reverse the damage already caused, it just destroys the drug molecules if they enter the body.  Drug addicts will still crave it, but won't be able to get the effects.  I think it's more of a preventative sort of thing.  In which case I can see this becoming an issue in the future.

"Vaccinate your children against drugs!"
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:40:08 pm »

Drug use will increase as a social thing like alcohol... people will think its safer after they are vaccinated.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:41:46 pm »

Uhm, just that there is no point at all in taking drugs when they are destroyed by your system.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »

Drug use will increase as a social thing like alcohol... people will think its safer after they are vaccinated.

There's no way to vaccinate against alcohol.  It's not a complex, low-volume, neurochemical...thing, it's a toxin that you imbibe in very large volume.

Although if you could train your immune system to protect you against alcohol, imagine what else it could do.  Vaccinate yourself against cyanide!  Or antifreeze!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »

Uhm, just that there is no point at all in taking drugs when they are destroyed by your system.
Hypothetically... your non-vaccinated druggie friends invite you to hang around and take a hit. 

There's no way to vaccinate against alcohol.  It's not a complex, low-volume, neurochemical...thing, it's a toxin that you imbibe in very large volume.

Although if you could train your immune system to protect you against alcohol, imagine what else it could do.  Vaccinate yourself against cyanide!  Or antifreeze!

Who knows, maybe there will be unintended side-effects... or maybe the tin label is misleading...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »

Man, if this goes over big, some kids are going to be super pissed when they get to college. Do a line of blow and have an allergic reaction to it.

For extreme cases of addiction though, this would be beneficial I think, at least to bring someone back closer to center.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 07:43:45 pm »

Hmm, I weep for human rights. Ok, so I'm no expert on human rights, but still, I don't like the implications of this, nor the slope it points to.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »

@Max I don't quite understand your position here, we already have many many vaccinations for diseases/viruses that are bad for us. As long as this one stays non mandatory I can't see it being a clear violation of human rights. If it goes mandatory then it will have to have good reason for doing so. But I for one would support mandatory vaccination against most if not all hard drugs (ie P or Heroin) as long as there were no major serious side effects from this.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »

There is a differance between vaccinations against something forced upon you, like a virus, and something you choose, like a drug. Granted, the choice is illegal and bad for your health, but when we stop people from doing things from birth because it is 'in there best intrust' were going to end up in a very bad place.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:01:55 pm »

It's have to be "voluntary".
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 08:07:32 pm »

It's have to be "voluntary".

One would hope. Yet if it became well known that there was an injection that would stop your child from ever becoming one of those junkies, do you realy think there would be many parents not demanding this for there child? Then it gets rolled out as part of the govenment package, and things go from there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7