Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Vaccination against drugs  (Read 4949 times)

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccination against drugs
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:31 pm »

Are you worried about it being a slippery slope to more vaccinations for other things? Because I would really really agree with a mandatory vaccination for hard drugs. We loose the ability to get a high from these drugs, We gain the health benefits and culture benefits to society.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 08:45:18 pm »

I am against legislating morality, so I'm against this on principle, slippery slope or no.  This step, on its own, is already too far.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 09:16:59 pm »

I am against legislating morality, so I'm against this on principle, slippery slope or no.  This step, on its own, is already too far.
Now that doesn't make much sense. All law/legislation is based on morals.

As for the topic. I wouldn't want this forced on anyone without reason,  but I it's not exactly that easy. Drugs take a heavy toll on society and induvidual people both. For example, much crime that that just wouldn't happen if drugs or alcohol wasn't involved. Other people have to pay the price for that. 'Vaccinating' judged criminals with proved drug problems would be well within reason in my opinion.
Love, scriver~

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »

Are you worried about it being a slippery slope to more vaccinations for other things? Because I would really really agree with a mandatory vaccination for hard drugs. We loose the ability to get a high from these drugs, We gain the health benefits and culture benefits to society.

I don't know how anyone else benefits if I get vaccinated for some drug because I have no interest in drugs.  The medical industry certainly benefits from the extra business...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 09:20:39 pm »

A lot of things take a heavy toll on society. If an injection to stop behaviors is the chosen solution, then why not go one more step? Maybe we could release a gas into the atmopshere making the human population more dosile? No fighting or crimes because nobody feels like it, we all just want to mellow out, and get on with the working day untill it's home time and we can sit and talk with our familys.

Wouldn't a drug induced utopian society sound great?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 09:20:57 pm »

Now that doesn't make much sense. All law/legislation is based on morals.

As for the topic. I wouldn't want this forced on anyone without reason,  but I it's not exactly that easy. Drugs take a heavy toll on society and induvidual people both. For example, much crime that that just wouldn't happen if drugs or alcohol wasn't involved. Other people have to pay the price for that. 'Vaccinating' judged criminals with proved drug problems would be well within reason in my opinion.

The day that we start castrating rapists, I'm all for that.

I don't know if it would be a good or a bad thing in the end.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:17 pm »

Ah perhaps I should flesh out my meaning more, when I say mandatory I mean it should be used on those who have a problem with drugs. I don't think there is any point on using it on someone who has no interest in drugs (as they would receive no benefits and only drawbacks). I certainly think that we need to have strict controls on such uses. But I think that the existence of the Legal System and the Courts provides a good base for such system to be built upon.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »

Minimum age of 18 for vaccinations should be legally enforced. If you get to that age, and decide that you don't want drugs for yourself, but cannot just stay away, fine. But I sure as heck wouldn't want to be biologically forced to be a good little boy.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »

A lot of things take a heavy toll on society. If an injection to stop behaviors is the chosen solution, then why not go one more step? Maybe we could release a gas into the atmopshere making the human population more dosile? No fighting or crimes because nobody feels like it, we all just want to mellow out, and get on with the working day untill it's home time and we can sit and talk with our familys.

Wouldn't a drug induced utopian society sound great?
Herp derp G-23 Paxilon Hydrochloride hurrr.

But seriously, that is taking a steps too far. It's one thing to offer parents a way to stop their kids from ruining their life. It's another thing to FORCE the entire GLOBE to turn into nonhumans. Suicide =/= The Holocaust, no matter how horrible either is.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »

Here's what I'm worried about.

Remember that 4th grade "field trip" to the police station where everyone got fingerprinted?  I do.  I was "voluntary" in that my parents could have kept me home, but they would have faced huge social pressure not to.  And I was too young to know enough to object to giving the government my personally identifiable biometric information.

What happens when the 4th grade field trip to the police station includes a free vaccination?  Sure, it's "voluntary," but opting out is difficult and has other social ramifications.  What happens when the vaccine starts including heroine, LSD, speed, THC, nicotine, and caffeine?

I'll be honest, this scares the shit out of me.  Allowing parents to preemptively decide which bad decisions their children will and won't be able to make on their own destroys individual autonomy.  Aside from incarceration and involuntary surgery, I can't think of anything that would more drastically interfere with personal liberty than preemptive childhood drug vaccination.
At last, she is done.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 09:41:48 pm »

Minimum age of 18 for vaccinations should be legally enforced. If you get to that age, and decide that you don't want drugs for yourself, but cannot just stay away, fine. But I sure as heck wouldn't want to be biologically forced to be a good little boy.

But seriously, that is taking a steps too far. It's one thing to offer parents a way to stop their kids from ruining their life. It's another thing to FORCE the entire GLOBE to turn into nonhumans. Suicide =/= The Holocaust, no matter how horrible either is.

See, are we playing the 18+ game, or the vaccinate your children game? People will demand this for there children, clean and simple. Things will get worse, nether clean nor simple, but likly.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 09:43:18 pm »

People will demand this for there children, clean and simple.

THIS IS ARE COUNTRY.

I'm sorry, I truly am.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 09:57:48 pm »

See, are we playing the 18+ game, or the vaccinate your children game? People will demand this for there children, clean and simple. Things will get worse, nether clean nor simple, but likly.
Neither. It's a plain old slippery slope argument you have.

If the death sentence is allowed, how long do we have till the government lets cops use lethal force to arrest?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:01 pm »

What about pot?  It's (theoretically) legal some places in the US.  Should we permanently remove people from something that may well be legalized next decade?

Opium was very widely medicinally used for a long time.

Ketamine is widely medicinally used today.

I could liken this back to the circumcision discussion...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »

Neither. It's a plain old slippery slope argument you have.

If the death sentence is allowed, how long do we have till the government lets cops use lethal force to arrest?

Funny you should mention that. The number of cases of police brutality is greater in the US of A where you have the death sentance, then in Australia, where there is no such thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7