Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ambush?  (Read 1112 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
ambush?
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:48:18 am »

I started a fortress a few days ago and it's pretty good for something I made (aka: it lasted longer than a year) but I haven't really created a good entrance yet. just 4 2x2 stairs down to my fortress surrounded my a large wall with a designated drawbridge. I was just enabling architecture on my carpenter and suddenly;

An ambush1 bla bla bla!

it are ELVES? seriously.. since when attack elves you in your 2nd year :/ I haven't even seen a single kobold thief / trade caravan (including dwarven) and now the ë's are ambushing me!!?

So I just ctrlaltdeleted (lol, chrome says it should be 'deleteriousness') my way out of the situation and loaded the single save I have BUT in that save the elves are already on the map...
is there any way I can still save my fortress? I have no military to speak of and no way to close my entrance before the elves get here...

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: ambush?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:00:23 am »

you're done mate.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:32 am »

yeah, I thought so.
but why did the elves attacked me? Aren't they supposded to be friendly :S...

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:03:20 am »

your civilization might have been at war with elves after worldgen

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:40 am »

So I watched the carnage:
15 civies vs 15 swordelves 1 archer and 1 war grizzly bear:

result:
1 dead child (yay! useless anyway)
3 dead stone crafter (who cares...)
1 dead tanner (again: who cares...)
1 dead miner (I embarked with 4 anyway casue I'm too lazy too wait for them to dig :P)
1 dead donkey (that's too bad, i could have used him to breed or something)
1 dead swordelf

and they left :) they only actual damage they did was killing the donkey so I can just continue now

EDIT: how do I assign a tomb to adead dwarf? I want my miner to have a tomb and not just a grave?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:24:58 am by Dutchling »

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:41:06 am »

You can only designate a tomb to a living dwarf.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:45:35 am »

Can you do me a favor and upload the savegame somewhere? I would love to analyze the legends mode. :)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:44:26 am »

Sure, but It's a pocket world with 5 years of history and id I remember correctly only 8 deaths. (I want to see it myself too now :P)

EDIT: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3650
EDIT2: see fix
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:53:03 am by Dutchling »

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:53:36 am »

i always build a main door, winding hall of traps, another door a few more cage traps and a new door, incase they get in and past the traps i can forbid the second door or if they get past that there is a third door then all the traps they need to go back through, never had one get to the second door

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:58:53 am »

OFC ! Autopsy: The dwarven civilization you are allied with is at war with Elves! Horray!
Enjoy you're dose of fun!

Yeah... next time get a army in the first year  ::)
Desu

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:37 am »

OFC ! Autopsy: The dwarven civilization you are allied with is at war with Elves! Horray!
Enjoy you're dose of fun!

Yeah... next time get a army in the first year  ::)

even worse: the queen and acolyte of the elven civ are both children of a night man, thay may explain why they elves were at war (I've started at least a 100 fortresses (maybe played a total of 20 in game years :P) and I've seen a (goblin - war) once at embark but I've never seen a dwarf civ before that had was at war with elves or human)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 01:45:35 pm »

I've been told by my friends (who admittedly play 40d while I play 31.16) that it's probably because I chopped too many trees my first year. Of course, the elves promptly wandered into my choke-point-and-cage-trap set up, so now I have to chop even more trees to replace all the cages they're occupying!

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 02:46:49 pm »

even worse: the queen and acolyte of the elven civ are both children of a night man, thay may explain why they elves were at war (I've started at least a 100 fortresses (maybe played a total of 20 in game years :P) and I've seen a (goblin - war) once at embark but I've never seen a dwarf civ before that had was at war with elves or human)

The elves are called: The Mirth of Galleys. They have over 60 sites they own. They started a total of 8 wars. 5 of them against the Stake Of Sculptures, your dwarven civilization.

The first war between your nations began in the year 7, when Unib Mobbeddike (Moby Dick?) attacked Heatherscales. During the so called Crazed Assault a total of 8 people died. It took the elves 42 years to recover until they attacked Warmbridges. But without any casualties a peace was again forged. During the next years the elves were attacked multiple times by the Fruity Nation and the Fly of Muscles who in the end attacked each other. Eight times your folg declared war on the elves (two deaths) until they began their own warfare and counterattacked (15 dead). Their last action in the still ongoing Roasted War was the destructon of Autumnalroughness.

Up to now 186 dwarves died and 446 elves (not only during the wars but in total).

The most dangerous still living elf is Ave Violentglade with a total of 2 kills. Not very impressing. And both were your dwarves. ;)
The most dangerous still living dwarf is Datan Shieldgifted with only one kill. Shame on them. Only one dwarf had more kills and that was Tholtig Tangleinked who killed two elves during the first big war in the year 7. He lived 71 more years without a lot of incidents.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:48:57 pm by Fellhuhn »

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:26:20 pm »

In Baltimore, we have street feuds about parking spaces that are more interesting than this centuries-long "epic conflict".  All Dwarvenkind is counting on you to spice this war up!!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 03:33:46 pm »

ummm :-X that;s not very impressing

But I have a small problem: A have my third elven ambush now (the 2nd got scared when a kobold thief spotted them and visa versa(vica verca?))
but the third one has a princess with them, now that doesn't sound very impressing but does she have anything special? (this is the first time I've played longer than a year)

oh, and for the fourth year in a row: no migrants... how long does it take for the migrants to come again?

EDIT: another squad of elves! It is a bowelf squad with another princess.
oh, did I mention they're riding friggin WAR GRIZZLY BEARS?

ps: I have no idea how strong the bears are but  they sure sound awwesome
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:51:22 pm by Dutchling »
Pages: [1] 2