Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best Uniform?  (Read 10476 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Best Uniform?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 08:20:19 am »

So the bottom line is that while they are useful, but not essential?
nothing is essential save for the life of the very last dwarf.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 08:28:16 am »

When I said essential I meant "do they make a difference that can't be accounted for by randomness?"

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 08:46:50 am »

When I said essential I meant "do they make a difference that can't be accounted for by randomness?"
from how i see it, no. Even a copper weapon would slice through a dozen of them with ease.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 10:31:23 am »

After now equipping and re-equipping my militia several times, I've found that some of these comedians simply refuse to wear two caps and a helmet. It even looks like it's the same ones who keep under-equipping themselves. I gave them a uniform including only the caps without the helmet, waited until everyone wore two of them, and then told them to add a helmet (tried it both ways: either adding helmets to their uniform, or adding helmets manually for every squad member). The result is that, while most dwarves indeed ended up properly equipped, a few jokers ditched one or two caps before putting on their helmets.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 10:42:07 am »

ya a known problem probably relate to how some also swap equips nonstop.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 10:53:46 am »

Try equipping the helm first, and then adding the caps (should work if there's simply helm, cap, cap in that order on uniform). Caps are over layer so the order should be helm first then caps.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 11:45:17 am »

Caps are over layer so the order should be helm first then caps.

That's a surprise: I thought metal caps were like mail coifs that would go under the helm. Regardless, I did as you suggested and still a couple of them refuse to wear more than one cap, and one or two don't even put one cap on.

I've been having similar problems with socks and I already gave up on those.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 11:58:29 am »

I've been having similar problems with socks and I already gave up on those.
It's said that there's an issue with how 2 items are to be equipped on different feet. I've since given up on equipping socks as well.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 12:01:34 pm »

I've been able to get them to wear two boots as long as they stayed the hell away from socks. Trying to use both usually resulted in clownish bullshit where they'd wear two socks on one foot and a boot on the other, etc.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 12:10:03 pm »

Metal Helmet
Metal breastplate
Metal mail
Metal greaves
Metal gauntlets
Metal lowboots
Metal Shield
Weapon

I believe this is the best arrangement excluding it's lack of caps? From what I've read on the wiki, you can't stack leather with metal because it's shaped...or something. Sometimes, I really dislike the wiki.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 12:21:21 pm »

Actually, high boots are better than low ones.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 12:36:16 pm »

Ah, sorry to be misleading but lowboots are all my civilization allows me to craft currently. But as far as fortress mode goes, you can't really get better than that?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 01:17:50 pm »

Fortress mode or adventure, according to the wiki high boots are still better. That your particular civilization doesn't produce high boots doesn't mean your next one won't.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 01:43:32 pm »

I believe this is the best arrangement excluding it's lack of caps? From what I've read on the wiki, you can't stack leather with metal because it's shaped...or something. Sometimes, I really dislike the wiki.
You can also put various clothing made of leather onto that set.

You're mistaking "armor made of leather" for "leather armor." Leather armor refers to a specific type of torso protection that can only be made out of leather. That specific type of torso armor is [SHAPED], as are breastplates, so you can't put leather armor on under breastplates. However, other pieces of armor that just happen to be made out of leather might not be [SHAPED] and so can be worn with metal armor. Leather clothing in particular is useful for additional protection.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:28 pm »

so what is the best uniform again then?  It's been a while since I played and i'm not the greatest at reading the wiki sometimes. 

I'm thinking it is:
1 x breastplate (metal)
3 x mail shirts (metal)
6 x cloaks (leather)

2 x trousers (leather)
1 x greaves (metal)

1 x helm (metal)
6 x hood (leather)

1 x pairs of mittens (leather)
1 x pairs of gauntlets (metal)

1 x pairs of socks (any material)
1 x pairs of high boots (metal)