Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best Uniform?  (Read 10480 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Best Uniform?
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:46:44 am »

What is best setup for uniform in terms of protection? While default "Metal Armor" works just fine, It seems that there is better alternative that takes advantage of layering and other fancy stuff but wiki is silent and forum search not helpfull.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Uniform?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:32:28 am »

metal mail shirt x2 (or maybe x3)
metal breastplate
leather cloak x5 (or 6)
leather robe
i think non leather trousers
metal greaves
metal gauntlets
leather mittens
metal cap
metal helm
leather hood
socks
metal high boots

for the metal take iron < steel < spoiler metal
for the leather any will offer the same protection afaik
for the cloth it seems from the raws silk would be best
spoiler cloth will ofc beat it but go through raw material at a rate of 5 per cloak/robe

soldiers have a problem with socks that seems to stem from the weird sock boot sock boot order that can also be observed in adventure mode
this means if you see soldiers with a sock and boot on one foot and only a boot on the other, that he tried to put the last sock over the boot. This can be worked around by adding sock boot sock boot in that order in the uniform (which will result in cancel:pickup equipment spam but should make the soldier wear a sock and a boot on both feet).
The use of the multiple parts (cloaks and mail shirts) is highly debatable, but testing in arena shows that a dwarf with 3 mail shirts has an edge over a dwarf with only one.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:54 am »

Leather rope wont fit in a 3 shirt 1 plate uniform
Leather trousers is just fine, why not use it?
You cant stack helms and caps. 1 helm + 8 hoods or 2 caps + 9 hoods
I believe the sock issue is still there. Cause of it I've been using exclusively metal boots.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:29:44 pm »

My military dwarves wear a cap and a helmet at the same time.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38:01 pm »

You cant stack helms and caps. 1 helm + 8 hoods or 2 caps + 9 hoods
Yes you can.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »

Yes you can.

Go to the wiki, search "armor" and toasted the bottom is a section that starts with somethin like:

2x caps
1x helm
6x hoods

That entire list is the "best" uniform

In spots it will have 2 or 3 options, such as:

Lower body:
Stuff
Stuff (no foreign items)
Stuff (cheap)

Which means you pick one set (stuff 1,2 or 3) for your uniform, based on whether or not you have the foreign items or don't hve the mats for the expensive stuff.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:03:42 pm »

Yes you can.

Go to the wiki, search "armor" and toasted the bottom is a section that starts with somethin like:

2x caps
1x helm
6x hoods

My mistake. Look like you can despite the fact that cap having layer permit of 15 and helm having size of 30  ::)
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:56 pm »

I may be wrong on the figures but there's definitely 3 different types of headwear in the ideal setup.

Feet and hands are about the only things that 'make sense' in terms of armor.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:55:44 pm »

I wonder what dwarves actually end up looking like when burdened with all that armour. :|

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:28:09 pm »

I may be wrong on the figures but there's definitely 3 different types of headwear in the ideal setup.

Feet and hands are about the only things that 'make sense' in terms of armor.
No, you are totally correct, (metal) caps can be stacked with helm even though they have +armor on metal. I just had to fix my raw to enable that in IM.

I wonder what dwarves actually end up looking like when burdened with all that armour. :|
They will move very, very slowly.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 07:09:16 am »

Excuse the thread necromancy, but how did you get your guys to reliably wear two caps, a helmet and a hood? I specified those items in the uniforms and most of my dwarves only wear between 2 and 3 out of the 4 items I specified as headgear. 

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 07:23:36 am »

the reason being those items have different stack layer, and your dorf wont put on a helm or cap after his first hood. You can either mod the game so all of them being on the same layer (watch the size also) or make uniforms in stages so they'd surely put everything on. Generally I find the latter a waste of time.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 07:30:22 am »

the reason being those items have different stack layer, and your dorf wont put on a helm or cap after his first hood.

I thought things like skirts/trousers and greaves were different layers as well, and they don't seem to have any trouble putting those on.

Generally I find the latter a waste of time.

I've been thinking about ditching non-metal equipment as well, but then I thought: don't things like hoods and cloaks protect the neck?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 08:02:05 am »

since .17 I believe, armors now properly protect extremities, including neck. How to test? Spawn a dragon and a dorf with adamantine mail shirt. Incapacitate the dorf with wrestling then try to scratch the neck, it'd say something along the line of "glance away". Do note that this might not work if you modded dragon claws to be something harder.

the reason being those items have different stack layer, and your dorf wont put on a helm or cap after his first hood.

I thought things like skirts/trousers and greaves were different layers as well, and they don't seem to have any trouble putting those on.
That also depend on the specific layer type. Cover items such as hoods & cloaks are special and they have stacking mechanism unlike other items. From my testing, OVER items such as ropes also seem to be wacky but thankfully that's not the issue here.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 08:18:33 am »

So the bottom line is that while they are useful, but not essential?
Pages: [1] 2 3