Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it okay to want your fortress to have fun?  (Read 1592 times)

fijkus

• Bay Watcher
  • "Reapers"
    • View Profile
Is it okay to want your fortress to have fun?
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:45:52 am »

Please bear with me while I write this out. I am sleep deprived, which should enhance the experience.
   Okay, so after a couple of false starts (I’m currently at Fortress #4) I’ve made my first working (for now) fortress. I got a decent stockpile of food, living quarters dug out from the mountain,  a few rudimentary stonefall traps that promise fun to invaders (three rows deep for now), some fun war dogs that love their Kobolt cewtoys (as they should), and a bunch of random donkeys and cows that I did not notice before now, a possible source of the inevitable catsplosion that I won’t see coming and immigrants that I’ll figure out a use for. ...Eventually. And probably a lot of other things I haven’t noticed yet.
   You know, normal stuff.
   I’ve achieved my original goal for the fortress, which is to survive an in game year. (Yay noob low standard.) It’s spring. My glorious stockpile of meatstuffs will ensure that I will not run out of meat before the next caravan from the Moutainhomes, so besides the usual hording of food I am improving my booze industry to make sure that I never run out of booze before fun stuff happens.
   I like to think I’m doing pretty well so far. Which sort of comes to the point of the post.
   Is it okay to want for something to kill your fort so that you can have a clean slate elsewhere, even if you like the little retarded fellows?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it okay to want your fortress to have fun?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:50:54 am »

Of course it's normal to think that!
If you aren't trying to decide on new ways to force your fort to crumble to ruin then you are clearly doing something wrong :D
Remember.
Losing is fun
*Hugs*

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:06 am »

That's basically what I'm doing, too. Well, rather, I hope I can at the very least make it to being the capital, and only then, I swear I'll stop savescumming once something doesn't quite go my way. Won't mind if I don't finish the giant statue on time, that will make instead nice outer ruins that I can complete later with a reclaim if I ever want to. ;)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:08:50 am »

You should always want your fort to have fun. You should always try and make your fort succeed. The void in between is a magic place of enjoyment.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:11:39 am »

snip
place cage or weapon traps in stead of stonefalls, stonefalls are woefully undereffective. Also, make lots of expensive things. Ruby-studded Silver Sarcophagi or Golden Statues with Diamond bits on to improve your wealth and invite Goblin ambushes and sieges. :P

And try to get war with the elves and maybe humans.

Also, NO IT'S NOT OKAY, YOU DISGUSTING FIEND.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:38 am »

Spring of the second year is when your population will suddenly start jumping up, and you'll enlist gobs of immigrants into the masonry guild. It's the start of the lifelong project of building bedrooms for your ever-increasing population. Also, it's the start of when dwarves go moody and claim/demand workshops and stuff, and have personal implosions if they don't get their way.

It won't be too long after that the mayor will start demanding things be made for him, and he'll start arresting/killing dwarves for non-compliance.

Then real soon after that the invasions will start appearing, and seiges that block the caravans and kill the immigrants.

Yes, fun awaits you.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:19:35 am »

snip
place cage or weapon traps in stead of stonefalls, stonefalls are woefully undereffective. Also, make lots of expensive things. Ruby-studded Silver Sarcophagi or Golden Statues with Diamond bits on to improve your wealth and invite Goblin ambushes and sieges. :P

Also, NO IT'S NOT OKAY EXCELLENT, YOU DISGUSTING FIEND DWARF.
Fixed that for you.
*Hugs*

fijkus

• Bay Watcher
  • "Reapers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:57 am »

Very good words of wisdom. I already have my glut of immigrants, so I now have a population of 41. I also already have a possessed dwarf that has commandeered a workshop. I shall take in the advice and use it to improve my fortress and prepare for the coming fun.

Elf: Do you expect us to just sit back while you strip the entire forest bare to allow your master woodcraft dwarf to create his decadent pieces of “art” that will be jewel encrust? Do you expect us to allow you to destroy nature’s wonder?
Urist McExpeditionLeader: No Mr. Hippy. I expect you to die. *fires crossbow*

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 06:05:41 am »

Why would you set fire to a crossbow? :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 06:30:37 am »

Why would you set fire to a crossbow? :o

Magma tipped steel bolts are pretty effective. Or at least would be if we could dip bolts and arrows with liquids yet.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »

Please bear with me while I write this out. I am sleep deprived, which should enhance the experience.
   Okay, so after a couple of false starts (I’m currently at Fortress #4) I’ve made my first working (for now) fortress. I got a decent stockpile of food, living quarters dug out from the mountain,  a few rudimentary stonefall traps that promise fun to invaders (three rows deep for now), some fun war dogs that love their Kobolt cewtoys (as they should), and a bunch of random donkeys and cows that I did not notice before now, a possible source of the inevitable catsplosion that I won’t see coming and immigrants that I’ll figure out a use for. ...Eventually. And probably a lot of other things I haven’t noticed yet.
   You know, normal stuff.
   I’ve achieved my original goal for the fortress, which is to survive an in game year. (Yay noob low standard.) It’s spring. My glorious stockpile of meatstuffs will ensure that I will not run out of meat before the next caravan from the Moutainhomes, so besides the usual hording of food I am improving my booze industry to make sure that I never run out of booze before fun stuff happens.
   I like to think I’m doing pretty well so far. Which sort of comes to the point of the post.
   Is it okay to want for something to kill your fort so that you can have a clean slate elsewhere, even if you like the little retarded fellows?

Once you get to the point that you can build a nice fort, it's almost necessary to find fun. People do this in different ways, depending on what sort of fun they're looking for. Some flood the overworld with magma. Some "forget" to make a farm and feed their dwarves. Some "forget" to start an economy or keep their dwarves happy, bringing fun in the form of tantrum spirals. This is all good.

Some, especially those who want their fun to come in larger amounts, build the most fantastic secure fort ever, worth millions of coin worth in building, and then dig too deep, throwing their all in until fun arrives.  Thus when the fun finally does arrive (and hopefully it does), it is such a huge failure that legends are written about it.

So yes, young dwarf, fun is good. fun is veeeery good.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »

Nah I don't think im ready for that kind of fun  :-\
Desu

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27:08 pm »

I embarked on a wasteland in the Artic. the surface is completely flat, not a single hill or valley. Nothing but snow. Dig down and theres 5 layers of ice before you even see stone. I dig down, down, down. I finally find a cave  84 Z-levels below. It has mud, so I start a farm.  I keep digging, the first sign of water is 96 Z-levels down. Thats how far I've gotten, still no sign of magma.
Also, since I knew there were no trees, I brought 25 logs with me on embark. I've thinking of pumping that water up and make a huge mud pit to grow mushroom wood.
This should be an interesting game. Its only my 8th or so fort.

First problem is my miner got swarmed by Krundles but he stuck his pick through one of their brains and the rest ran off, for now. I only have 13 Dwarfs, but I had 3 with combat experience and made a small squad to help defend my miner. I know from my last game that Krundles like to eat my farm crops.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:57 pm »

I know from my last game that Krundles like to eat my farm crops.

Not possible.  Crundles have [CARNIVORE] and no [CURIOUS] tags, so they can't steal food and they won't eat plants.  Something else must've happened to your crops while the crundles were keeping you busy.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 10:55:23 pm »

Hmm. I am still new to the game, it was some sort of creature that I got an alert of eating my crops.

edit. I think it was a Draltha
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:09:12 pm by GoldenShadow »
Pages: [1] 2