Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: cooking the syrup  (Read 1834 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
cooking the syrup
« on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »

I've recently come across a thread saying how much dwarves like to avoid cooking any sort of liquid. I check my stocks menu and sure enough, I have 190 units of syrup. I've started making sugar instead, but I'd hate to waste all of the syrup. I have an idea to make a couple of single tile stockpiles next to my kitchens; one to accept syrup, and another to accept something solid, and without bins. I could set this to be fully automated, but I need to know under what conditions will my cooks leave their burrows? Will they leave to sleep? Eat? Drink? Or if the burrow only includes the shop and mini stockpiles, will they die if I don't let them out? Or will they ignore the syrup anyways and go for the solid food in other stockpiles?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cooking the syrup
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:09:50 pm »

Dwarven syrup has a high trade value; each barrel will net about 300-500 dwarfbucks when traded to the caravans. More if your guy has high skills in plant processing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:12:43 pm by AngleWyrm »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:55 pm »

I got more trade goods than I know what to do with, so 500 dorfmonies is more of a drop in the bucket.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:17:02 pm »

I usually have the problem of too much food.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »

I do too, but I can always make a bigger stockpile. Also, it provides a buffer just in case.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:05:53 pm »

From the wiki: "unless you have a severe shortage of barrels it is better to make dwarven syrup rather than sugar, as the two sweet pod products have the same value of 20☼ and both can be cooked, but syrup has five times the yield."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:15:29 pm by AngleWyrm »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »

But that doesn't get rid of the syrup I already have. It would seem this idea won't work anyways.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:19:05 pm »

It's a trade commodity, which turns a profit when sold to the caravans. You have already said you prefer to store it in larger carved out extra food rooms, just in case. This is the opposite of "getting rid of it".

You seem to be at war with what you want to do about your syrup. On the one hand you want to keep it and not sell it, but on the other hand you want to get rid of it.

You'll have to decide what you want to do.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:19:17 pm »

I have not had any problem using syrup for cooking in my fortress.  I have a kitchen surrounded by a stockpile containing syrup, and stockpiles further away containing meat and cheese.  When I set the kitchen to cook lavish meals, the cook grabs one unit of solid ingredient and then several of syrup, and makes a roast.  Along with my successful dairy industry, this gets me meat/cheese/syrup roasts that I then buy entire trade caravans with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:14 pm »

I wanted to use the syrup. My dwarves don't like dry pancakes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Syrup Wars
Coming soon.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:13:33 am »

Looking forward to having eggs with that pancake breakfast.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:21:00 am by AngleWyrm »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 12:26:13 am »

syrup is annoying.  Flour and quarry bush leaves fit nicely in barrels, syrup takes up a whole barrel, plus the dwarves don't like to cook it.

No more syrup in my fortresses.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Avarage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:21:24 am »

I haven't done much with syrup in the current version, but I recall in previous versions dwarven syrup roasts being one of the easiest ways to make a fortune and get pretty much anything you need (as well as waves of useless migrants that you don't need).

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

Get Dwarven Cheese, Domestic elephants (for the meat) and quarry bush leaves.  the cheese and meat provide excellent value modifiers (and elephant products will sometimes give MASSIVE stacks of food.) and the quarry bush leaves just create quite large stacks of food (you always get at least a stack of 5 leaves.  With legendary growers you can get over 25 leaves per stack.)  These blend together to create a crazy valuable +dwarven cheese roast+
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: [1] 2