Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"  (Read 16003 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:54 am »

That would've been handy the first few tries :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2011, 08:22:24 am »

Sorry, I was planning to use this weekend for this, but my better half just got us a new season of House MD to watch...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2011, 01:01:46 pm »

I think I might use this weekend for this... still gotta figure out my concept, though. :P To RogueBasin!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2011, 03:06:05 pm »

Been learning how to do Roguelikes in Java.  Once I finalize my first little game, I'll try and do this challenge.  Not starting quite yet though.  I had a good idea for it, until I read the "multiple units available" bit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »

Ahh, just pull it with one unit. This pretty laid-back, and that idea is too good to be wasted. :)

From the Video Game Name Generator that Siquo posted, I've come up with the title "Excruciating Polka Bandits: Masters of the Pogo Zone." I still have no idea what I'm doing, but that's definitely going to be the title. :D

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2011, 12:46:24 am »

Been learning how to do Roguelikes in Java.  Once I finalize my first little game, I'll try and do this challenge.  Not starting quite yet though.  I had a good idea for it, until I read the "multiple units available" bit.

Or hordes of them...
Signature goes here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »

I still see multiple units. It's a Lemmings type of game where you play the role of a savior that tries to get the mindless creatures to safety or something like that.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:11 pm »

Eh, iunno.  Learning to use Curses has been harder than I originally thought, haha.  Probably just looking in the wrong places.  Attempting to learn C++.

What I was imagining was basically this.  There's a farmhand, smith's son, whatever.  Not a particularly strong person.  When the game starts, the "hero" starts in a room, and you want to get him up ten floors to save you.  The game rolls random spells each time.  Here's a list of possible ones;

List goes on.  Every unit has some health, their senses, and a "fear" stat.  If an enemy is deaf, they can't use hearing to notice the hero.  If they're blind, they won't see them directly.  Same goes for your hero though, so be careful.  Some damaging things exist, but you mostly want to avoid fighting.  I'd imagine torches being placed here and there, making them seek light if they rely on it.  Also dispels Shiver.  Each time you play, you get eight spells, and you can use each one once per floor.  Maybe one infinite use one that attracts attention, sound based.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2011, 04:13:12 pm »

Out of curiosity, are these going to be held every month?  I don't have time/willpower to participate in the next few months, but if they are still going later on in the year I might.

Although 3 days doesn't seem like a lot of time.  :)  A week would probably be more reasonable for us less hardcore folks. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »

I'm already doing some preliminary research so I can avoid some early roadblocks once I really start this. Just trying out different ways of handling things ;)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »

Out of curiosity, are these going to be held every month?  I don't have time/willpower to participate in the next few months, but if they are still going later on in the year I might.

Although 3 days doesn't seem like a lot of time.  :)  A week would probably be more reasonable for us less hardcore folks.

Most likely they will, yeah. And I think it's going to be a 7DRL next time- I, at least, am having trouble finding three days in which I could definitely work on this enough.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »

Great.  I look forward to entering when I've got a bit more time(probably in june) and a bit more experience under my belt.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2011, 07:48:51 am »

Right, it's 13:47 and I've got a REPL cooking. Let's start this!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2011, 12:20:52 pm »

Best of luck to ye, lad! I'm starting tonight at 8:00 Central time, and then I'll post accolades when I'm done.

The March contest thread will soon be up! I'm thinking of themes now, but if anyone has any ideas to throw out, they'd be welcome. :)

EDIT: ...yeah, nope, turned out I was going to a play tonight and I didn't end up starting. Now there are less than 72 hours in February. Shucks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:34:26 am by Biag »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »

Hey, can you start listing the submissions in the OP? I'd rather not have to sift through the topic every time I want to try a new fangled roguelike.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10