Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Question about U.S.(Texas) Law regarding self defense  (Read 2498 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Question about U.S.(Texas) Law regarding self defense
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 07:01:41 pm »

tell you what, he knocks you again say "is that all you got?".

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:41 pm »

Sure, but how are you going to get stubborn people to get treatment? According to "human rights" or some other random UN declaration one can't force therapy on someone who doesn't want it...

People with multiple assaults can get placed in mandatory anger-management programs. Same with mandatory drug counseling. This is especially common when dealing with minors. Not to mention people getting involuntarily committed to mental hospitals...

Regarding OP : The correct legal response would be to report him for assault. The correct social response would be to suck it up and take it, or hit him back. Coming at him with a knife when his back is turned is just completely horrible and unjustified however you look at it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:09:01 pm by kinseti »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:53 pm »

"human rights" or some other random UN declaration

Wait what.
Assuming you're being sarcastic- could you point out where people can't get therapy of any sort unless they want it?
Article 18:
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion;

Article 19:
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

In other words, the state can't force you to change your mind and any state who does forcibly admit someone to a mental hospital is in direct violation of the declaration of human rights. Note that article 19 also means that anyone is free to give a prisoner detailed escape plans...

On a similarly absurd note:
Article 17
Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

In other words, the state can't prevent a convicted criminal from earning money and taking a convicted criminal's possessions is also pretty difficult because you have to prove that they were related to the crime. A criminal who happens to own a track of land that he rents to others will get the benefits of that land even if he's locked away for life.

And article 21:
Article 21
Everyone has the right to take part in the government of their country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in their country.
The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

This means that a convicted murderer can become head of state, even if he's still serving jail time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:13:47 pm by Virex »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »

I'd like to discuss this^ but it would be a derail.

On topic, I'd like the answer to the question.
And is there any precedent?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »

Anecdotally, I've seen at least a couple news stories about a property owner getting the book thrown at him for shooting an intruder on his property...when they discovered that the entry wound was in the guy's back.  Those incidents got ruled as murder, if I recall.  Could probably get some results with searching on terms like "shot in the back" "property rights" "murder" etc.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 07:24:16 pm »

Article 18:
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.
What exactly is wrong with that?

In other words, the state can't force you to change your mind and any state who does forcibly admit someone to a mental hospital is in direct violation of the declaration of human rights.
The state can't really force you to change your mind under any circumstances, and nor should they be allowed to try anyway. Some people will think for themselves even under the most Orwellian situations.

Note that article 19 also means that anyone is free to give a prisoner detailed escape plans...
Sometimes, I think you are just trying to find potential issues that would never happen in the real world.

Article 17
Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.
Note the emphasis. If you've done somthing to be deprived of property, such as high-level crimes, then you can be under the declaration.

A criminal who happens to own a track of land that he rents to others will get the benefits of that land even if he's locked away for life.
Because you can do so much with your money while locked up in a maximum security prison.

And article 21:
Article 21
Everyone has the right to take part in the government of their country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in their country.
The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

This means that a convicted murderer can become head of state, even if he's still serving jail time.
No sigifigant group of people is going to vote for a convicted murderer in a democratic election, or even nominate them.

Besides all of that, no state really even follows the charter. The UN has no power whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:25:57 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »

Uh, no. Just some guy said he was going to hit/attack me and this wasn't exactly in school. I can say that if I was in school I would just punch him.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:31 pm »

For making a threat to attack you? You'd get in trouble to refute a threat with violence?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 08:29:07 pm »

Uh, no. Just some guy said he was going to hit/attack me and this wasn't exactly in school. I can say that if I was in school I would just punch him.

And you ask if it's ok to stab him if he punch you?
You could try to think rationally for five second and come up with the response yourself.

But we would be delighted to bring this tread to the attention of justice, should one of us hear of a related accident, to prove that beside use of excessive force, premeditation was also involved.

Short answer is no.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »

People will generally only be institutionalised if they are a danger to other people.  Freedom of thought and conscience doesn't come into it.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:30 pm »

I think you misunderstood. I'm saying it's if he actually does it then I will, simply because I'm not going to end up on the floor if I can help up. My question has been answered, there's no reason to continue this thread. Oh, and great job on the 'internet tough guy' stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3]