Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question about U.S.(Texas) Law regarding self defense  (Read 2505 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Question about U.S.(Texas) Law regarding self defense
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 06:44:26 pm »

If you shoot someone in the leg you'll probably rupture the femoral artery, which is quite fatal indeed.
YOU'RE KILLING SMALLS.

so you rather have me shoot his arms knowing that i could nail him in the chest causing the person a very painful death?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »

I would rather you not shoot him at all, if you can help it. Besides, the Brachial artery is in the arm.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:07 pm »

If someone punched you in the face for no good reason, then I think that person is at the very least a complete moron and in the worst case a danger to society. To me that means they're fully deserving of a good jab in the chest, to teach them some manners. Just make sure to not let revenge get the better of you in such a case, and just do it to teach him how to behave you're good.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »

I would rather you not shoot him at all, if you can help it.
im talking about a self defense scenario, not the random mugger without a knife.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 06:47:30 pm »

I believe that you are only allowed to retaliate if your, or someone else's, life is in danger, once the person stops you are not allowed to do anything.
Except, of course, get the authorities involved and lock them up for the amount of time that society has agreed is appropriate.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 06:48:16 pm »

Oh you mean 2 hours of shoveling the local park if you're lucky?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »

im talking about a self defense scenario, not the random mugger without a knife.
A. Just to restate in case you didn't see the edit:
Besides, the Brachial artery is in the arm.
B. A gun is a powerful persuasion tool. Shooting the guy would be a last resort. Chances are that you just pulling the gun on him would be enough to put you in total control of the situation. I'd just tell him to drop the knife and get on the ground, then I'd call the police. If he tried to come after me after the gun is out, then I'd shoot him.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 06:50:33 pm »

Oh you mean 2 hours of shoveling the local park if you're lucky?

You're assuming that the police would be completely ineffective.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 06:51:57 pm »

No I am under the assumption that if someone smacks you in the face for no reason at all, most judges will give them a few hours of shoveling as "punishment". You think people learn anything with punishments like that?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:54:07 pm by Virex »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

No I am under the assumption that if someone smacks you in the face for no reason at all, most judges will give them a few hours of shoveling as "punishment". You think people learn anything like that.

If someone made a habit of smacking random people in the face, I'd rather they got treatment instead of just being whacked upside the head.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »

No I am under the assumption that if someone smacks you in the face for no reason at all, most judges will give them a few hours of shoveling as "punishment". You think people learn anything like that.

If someone made a habit of smacking random people in the face, I'd rather they got treatment.
Chances are that someone who hits someone else actually has a reason, or just a horrible lapse in judgement. No reason to ruin a person's entire life over a single outburst.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 06:55:16 pm »

A. Just to restate in case you didn't see the edit:
Besides, the Brachial artery is in the arm.
B. A gun is a powerful persuasion tool. Shooting the guy would be a last resort. Chances are that you just pulling the gun on him would be enough to put you in total control of the situation. I'd just tell him to drop the knife and get on the ground, then I'd call the police. If he tried to come after me after the gun is out, then I'd shoot him.
yea as i have said...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 06:55:54 pm »

If someone made a habit of smacking random people in the face, I'd rather they got treatment instead of just being whacked upside the head.
Sure, but how are you going to get stubborn people to get treatment? According to "human rights" or some other random UN declaration one can't force therapy on someone who doesn't want it...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 06:56:52 pm »

"human rights" or some other random UN declaration

Wait what.
Assuming you're being sarcastic- could you point out where people can't get therapy of any sort unless they want it?
I've played some mafia.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 06:59:33 pm »

Just a quick question, if someone were to hit me with their bare hands say out on the street and walk away, would I be in my legal right to attack them with something classified as a deadly weapon, ie. a knife? Also, I really need a link to the website saying this.

Why in the name of God would you want to escalate a fight like that? If someone punches you, and walks away, why would you take the opportunity to stab them? That's not only hideously unnecessary and bloodthirsty, but it puts yourself in danger as well.

Point of advice: Stop caring what the law says in that situation, use common sense, and act like a decent human being by not stabbing a dude because he smacked you on the playground and walked away.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3