Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: The Ultimate Battle  (Read 27141 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Battle
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:24 pm »

But Olimar was short on Urists, so he couldn't trade for the matireals of a giant statue. He needed to get some Urists first, by selling the corpses of the native life he slayed in the market. He probably did that after Pikmin 2 ended.
(Do you Build a statue of a dwarf when you embark at a place withen the first 30 days? with no caravans and limited supplies? I think not.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:36:09 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:42 pm »

Oh, and I'd suggest checking frequently for changes. Sometimes my friend or I come up with something. If you see anything you disagree with (like the Olimar issue at the moment), feel free to bring it up. I love nerdebates.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »

I nominate Arthas, the Lich King, to fight for the earlier mentioned dwarvern armada of pain!

Dwarves bury their dead, elves utilize them(in a slightly different way, though undead are also cannibals).  Also, have you seen arthas?  He barely has stubble, and seemed rather effeminate(and whiny) before becoming the Lich King.

Admittedly, his apparent love of mega projects is rather dwarven.  Especially since he built all of them in a glacial region.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:52 pm »

Again I say "Hephaestus, Greek god of:
Quote from: Wikipedia
technology, blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy, fire and volcanoes
Is a dwarf."

Quote from: Also Wikipedia
Hephaestus's symbols are a smith's hammer, an anvil and a pair of tongs, although sometimes he is portrayed holding an axe.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 11:26:16 pm »

Again I say "Hephaestus, Greek god of:
Quote from: Wikipedia
technology, blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy, fire and volcanoes
Is a dwarf."

Quote from: Also Wikipedia
Hephaestus's symbols are a smith's hammer, an anvil and a pair of tongs, although sometimes he is portrayed holding an axe.
... DO IT NAO

You know, if these factions are actually building armies, you're going to have to assign the important ones ranks.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2011, 11:59:09 pm »

Well once suggestions die down, I'm going to take suggestions for squad structure and command hierarchy. Using a complex series of algorithms (see: coin flips and 40K dice), we'll see who wins. Each combatant will get an ability that modifies the battle according to what their most prominent trait or biggest accomplishment is.

Each squad will have a commander, and the battlefield will be determined by them. Coin flip decides if it's the Dorf or Elf home turf. The sides will set up in strategic formations on opposite sides of the map (note that it will be drawn by me), and the fighting will commence. The 40K hit dice will determine movement, and coin will determine who attacks and hits. It will be turn based (Dorf1-Elf1-Dorf2-Etc). I've done this before with video game characters (me and a buddy listed 150-some and chose our units by choosing a random number that would correspond to the units). It can be very interesting, and with a little imagination and storytelling skill (which any DF player should possess), it can become near epic. Once fighting ensues, I'll also provide turn-by-turn screenshots along with the blow-by-blow account.

Bet you didn't think it was going to be that complex!

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:10 am »

You know, I don't think the case for Arthas being effeminate can really be made effectively. The dude had long hair. Whiny? No. The guy slaughtered everything he came across, including his own citizenry. He was haughty, and acted the part of the spoiled prince, but he never really complained about anything much. He just told people to follow his orders and then got pissed when they didn't. I feel the need to point out that these orders included slaughtering an entire town because some of the citizenry 'may have' been infected by the zombie plague.
I think remorseless butchery of civilians and nobility with irrational senses of entitlement are both quite bitchy, and those were before he found the artifact METAL longsword, Frostmourne (that could easily be a DF generated name right there), and proceeded to BUTCHER NEARLY EVERY LIVING ELF ON THE CONTINENT.
The guy oozes dwarf.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

Well once suggestions die down, I'm going to take suggestions for squad structure and command hierarchy. Using a complex series of algorithms (see: coin flips and 40K dice), we'll see who wins. Each combatant will get an ability that modifies the battle according to what their most prominent trait or biggest accomplishment is.

Each squad will have a commander, and the battlefield will be determined by them. Coin flip decides if it's the Dorf or Elf home turf. The sides will set up in strategic formations on opposite sides of the map (note that it will be drawn by me), and the fighting will commence. The 40K hit dice will determine movement, and coin will determine who attacks and hits. It will be turn based (Dorf1-Elf1-Dorf2-Etc). I've done this before with video game characters (me and a buddy listed 150-some and chose our units by choosing a random number that would correspond to the units). It can be very interesting, and with a little imagination and storytelling skill (which any DF player should possess), it can become near epic. Once fighting ensues, I'll also provide turn-by-turn screenshots along with the blow-by-blow account.

Bet you didn't think it was going to be that complex!
Holy crap.

So a kitten could get really lucky and take down a battle mech? Or is there more to this?

screenshots
???

You know, I don't think the case for Arthas being effeminate can really be made effectively. The dude had long hair. Whiny? No. The guy slaughtered everything he came across, including his own citizenry. He was haughty, and acted the part of the spoiled prince, but he never really complained about anything much. He just told people to follow his orders and then got pissed when they didn't. I feel the need to point out that these orders included slaughtering an entire town because some of the citizenry 'may have' been infected by the zombie plague.
I think remorseless butchery of civilians and nobility with irrational senses of entitlement are both quite bitchy, and those were before he found the artifact METAL longsword, Frostmourne (that could easily be a DF generated name right there), and proceeded to BUTCHER NEARLY EVERY LIVING ELF ON THE CONTINENT.
The guy oozes dwarf.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Elf? Nah.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2011, 12:11:49 am »

Maybe Olimar should be Keeper? He's awesome like a dwarf, but isn't 175% dwarfy. Whatever. He should be Dwarf, or Neutral(Keeper)
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:12 am »

A kitten could get really lucky, but I change the amount of heads needed according to what the person usually wears for protection, the weapon used, etc.
As for screenshots, that's me being derpy when I mean to say pictures. I said "someone should take a screenshot of this" at a birthday party once.
Each battle goes down on a sheet of paper. I prefer that over paint because I can smear the lead around for scorch marks and stuff. I also like the eraser marks for some reason.
Arthas is now solidly Dorf.
HEN, I'm attempting to make this as simple as possible, though if I do get enough people for a third team, I'll gladly do it. For now, he'll remain Debated until a solid argument comes up.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2011, 12:28:03 am »

You're drawing pictures? Awesome.
Maybe Olimar should be Keeper? He's awesome like a dwarf, but isn't 175% dwarfy. Whatever. He should be Dwarf, or Neutral(Keeper)
There is no neutral team, because there is only one character who can pull off being perfectly neutral in the great Dwarf/Elf war.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He must be the referee.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:35:36 am by Gatleos »
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2011, 12:36:22 am »

Don't expect anything epic from my artistry though! My skills lay more with words. Regardless, for you guys, I'll try my best.
That means instead of using circles with D1 through 6 in them (designating Dwarfs 1 through 6 on the team), I plan on utilizing all of my kindergarden drawing ability!

And here is where I pose a question:
When the rounds are over, should I merge groups with casualties? For example, if two squads lost a quarter of their men, and another lost half, I'd split the half  among the two? Or should the squads stay undermanned?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2011, 12:37:01 am »

I nominate Garret as a Kobold. Yes I know they aren't part of the battle, but he isn't an elf, and he definately isn't a dwarf. I also nominate the Hammerites as dwarves and the Pagans as elves.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2011, 12:41:22 am »

Don't expect anything epic from my artistry though! My skills lay more with words. Regardless, for you guys, I'll try my best.
That means instead of using circles with D1 through 6 in them (designating Dwarfs 1 through 6 on the team), I plan on utilizing all of my kindergarden drawing ability!

And here is where I pose a question:
When the rounds are over, should I merge groups with casualties? For example, if two squads lost a quarter of their men, and another lost half, I'd split the half  among the two? Or should the squads stay undermanned?
Didn't you say you were tracking movements? You should decide from how close they are.
I also nominate the Hammerites as dwarves and the Pagans as elves.
Hyup. Oh, and PETA should go under Elves too. Can't believe no one's thought of that.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2011, 01:03:19 am »

I did, but thought "nah," and edited it to make it the Nyarlathotep post.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14