Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hoof and mouth disease in DF?  (Read 362 times)

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hoof and mouth disease in DF?
« on: January 05, 2011, 03:09:36 pm »

Howdy.

Well, it all started when this Forgotten Beast climbed into my fortress through the well.  He was one of those "dust beasts", and he quickly infected my entire fortress before one of my Hammerdwarves laid him to rest.

Now, after a very short time all my dwarves recovered.  My livestock, however, did not -- they seem have acquired what appears to be some sort of infectious disease with fever and numbness of extremities as a symptoms, followed by unconsciousness and occassionally, death. The disease has spread throughout my entire animal population -- from my war dogs to cows, donkeys, horses, war lions, and even my newly acquired tigerman. 

The only solution would be to butcher all my animals, is that right?  Or will this thing eventually run it's course?  If the answer to my first question is yes, how do i butcher a war lion?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hoof and mouth disease in DF?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:39:34 pm »

pit all your animals into some water to clean them off.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Hoof and mouth disease in DF?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 06:35:21 pm »

pit all your animals into some water to clean them off.

This.. but the animals have likely left contaminants everywhere so a good idea would be to build secure pens for the cattle.

Since the war animals need to be outside the pens .... they might keep getting the infection and die. You can go over the animal with (v) and go to "labor" and press ready for slaughter... I think.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.