Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows for hauling  (Read 870 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrows for hauling
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

I have a burrow set up to haul some steel discs from the forges to right next to where the traps are going to be built.  The burrow contains only the disc stockpile (which is set up correctly), the forges, the bedrooms (so the dwarves confined to the burrow don't sleep on the floor) and the dining room and food stockpiles.  As I understand it the burrow doesn't need to be continuous since the dwarves will walk between the sections if they need to.  I have two dwarves with all hauling on except food.  Yet they constantly have "no job" listed.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT  Of course right after I post this I look at the second dwarf which had been on break.  Who is now hauling a steel disc.  I just looks like the first dwarf just doesn't like to haul  :P  Any help if you noticed something wrong would still be nice.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:56:49 pm by Drawde »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows for hauling
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:15:14 pm »

This might be a stupid question, but since you didn't mention, is it safe to assume the dwarves in question are assigned to the burrow?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:30 pm »

If I remember right, Burrows and hauling is slightly bugged. Basically, your dwarves will still occasionally pick up a hauling job that is outside of the burrow, but can't complete it since it's not within the assigned section, and will just idle around with 'No Job' forever.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:49:32 pm »

Oops.  Yes the two dwarves I mentioned were assigned to the burrow.

Didn't know about that bug.  Figures.  Thanks for the info though.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »

I don't use burrows unless there is a threat... beware the job cancellation spam.  Although you could just d-b-f everything outside of the burrow.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »

I don't use burrows unless there is a threat... beware the job cancellation spam.  Although you could just d-b-f everything outside of the burrow.
But he only wants those 2 dwarfs to ignore everything else.  he wants the rest of the fort to function normally.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]