Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: moding hacking and suff and bit of a rant also would like input  (Read 1287 times)

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
moding hacking and suff and bit of a rant also would like input
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:09:45 pm »

ok so up till now i was haveing fun in DF bulding, killing (or to be more accurate haveing all my 19 dwarfs being killed by one bear) and it was fun bulding water ways and suff but then the gobs came and my dwarfs would not use a corssbow and well ..then 7 forgotten beasts showed up all in a one hour afther recalim and the 42 gobs were now my frends help kill 5 of them then i wen all over my moutin map fineing all my suff to claim it all one by one and the last 3 days real time my dwarf have been picking half of it up and puting in my fort (at 20 FPS) and then wen ther was all most all the suff form outside back in my fort i started to get miasma in my hole fort and then i foud out that one of the forgotten beasts the gobs killed had blood that made your feet rot. So now all my 13 dwarfs have rotin feet and 8 of the gobs have hole rotin bodys and evan tho i have a shit ton of  alcohol, wells, food and bed rooms all my dwarfs are tried, thirsty and hungey and also the 2 forgotten beasts the gobs did not kill are camping out in my main hall then the tree hugers come and want to trade but all my dwarfs go eat drink sleep and sit on ther ass`s wen i tell them to bring suff to trade and then i fine out that they will sell wood to you but you cant to them.... and well ya...

RANT DONE kind of

ok now to the moding, hacking, suff

so afther haveing all that hapin to me in the last 8 days im thinking of useing a hack or mod to fix the rotin bodys and get rid of the blood but the thing is that i tryed fixing sumthing that made me go mad in minecraft (i lost a ton of D picks and suff to lag neer lava) useing a mod but wen i used the mod it was so much faster that i started thinking of this room i was makeing that was 232 by 232 by 3 and well ......poof room made then poof lava room made of glass wif creeper spawn lava mout wach them die room and well poof poof poof and be for you could say poof i had all the suff i could want in the game and it got boring and all i could think of is how much time i wasted mineing and i would be wasting more of my life if i palyed the game wif no mods

so what im saying is I want to use a hack or mod to fix the suff that went rong in the game but if i do i know i will start bulding my fort the way i want it and be for i now it i will have all the suff i want and the game will be boring FOR NOW cuz its sill not done so new fun will be added (dont know why i paly so many game that are in development minecraft DFort dead foiner tinywars Toribash and Call of Combat to name a few)

so do you think i sould mod? or do you mod ? how many do?

also i like to point out that minecraft was the only game i have ever moded or hacked and i pride my self on not cheating in games and the only time i think of mods is in a SP game

if you read it all tx and would like your input also yes i sux at spelling I KNOW
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:13:10 pm by jamesmax »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: moding hacking and suff and bit of a rant also would like input
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:32:25 pm »

I think you should chalk this up to 'losing is fun', learn from this forts downfall and found a new one.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:13 pm »

I need a translator.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »

TRANSLATION: I had an okay fortress going, but FUN ensued in the form of my Dwarves being raped by death itself. I want to get rid of the blood and stuff. Last time I modded something that made me angry was in Minecraft, but I made it boring by removing all the FUN stuff. I want to hack or mod so I can clean up this mess in my fortress. Should I? And how should I do it?

I also have not modded or hacked anything buy Minecraft. I like to think myself as honorable.

Thanks for reading!

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:44:24 pm »

TRANSLATION: I had an okay fortress going, but FUN ensued in the form of my Dwarves being raped by death itself. I want to get rid of the blood and stuff. Last time I modded something that made me angry was in Minecraft, but I made it boring by removing all the FUN stuff. I want to hack or mod so I can clean up this mess in my fortress. Should I? And how should I do it?

I also have not modded or hacked anything buy Minecraft. I like to think myself as honorable.

Thanks for reading!

O.o

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:46:06 pm »

I think you should chalk this up to 'losing is fun', learn from this forts downfall and found a new one.

the suff that made my forts downfall was the suff i did not learn (like how to make them use corssbows) so i dont think that would help
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:26:30 pm by jamesmax »

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:50:55 pm »

A few tips:

d-b-d. Or in your case c, allows you to mass-reclaim all your items. Simply drag a rectangle over the area where the items you want to reclaim are.

To use crossbows: You must assign a military (unless you have hunters, and I'm not sure on their self-defense policy). Make a squad, and customize their uniforms to force them to equip crossbows. Then, go to the ammunition section, and allot them some ammunition. Your dwarves should now shoot when you assign them to kill a target.

Hacking: You'd want a program called DFhack. It has a utility called "cleanmap" that wipes all the blood and dust off your map. But keep in mind it is not removed from your dwarves, so for maximum efficiency have them take a bath as you activate it. I use it myself and can verify that, long as you only use it when there's blood you need cleaned in places your dwarves will never clean, it doesn't diminish !!FUN!! at all.

manicmoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:25:55 pm »

I lost my first good fortress to FB blood with very similar symptoms but I made the most of it and travelled there as an adventurer, which was fun. I suggest you just abandon this fortress and consider the lessons you learned from it when starting a new one. Consider turning off the INVADERS tag for a while until you have a grasp on what's going on..that saves you from all the sieges, FB attacks, etc but at any point you're starting to get bored you can switch it back on. That way you can go at your own pace and don't feel overwhelmed by everything from the getgo. The Lazy Newb pack available on the modding section has settings for this in an easy to use GUI so it's basically foolproof.

I also don't think you would get bored of DF any time soon as there are a lot of different ways to play the game (embark on a glacier, haunted area, etc) which I haven't begun to dive into as well as building mega projects, !!SCIENCE!!, adventure mode, and so fourth..and that's really before you start even getting into mods! Others have pointed out resources for DFcleanmap and such so if you want to go that route there's no shame in it as long as you're having fun!

-Dave (manicmoose)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:57 pm »

the suff that made my forts downfall was the suff i did not learn (like how to make them use corssbows) so i dont think that would help
So now you know, it's a good idea to figure things out. See, you already learned something!
Make a new fort with that knowledge.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:34 pm »

So now you know, it's a good idea to figure things out. See, you already learned something!
Make a new fort with that knowledge.

I'm still doing this after nearly six months of play. Just yesterday I totally forgot about how water in DF will rise to the level of it's origin point. I had plans for a well in my dining hall a few z-levels below the river O was digging up in to to provide water for the well.
Needless to say, a few of my dwarves got soggy lungs.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:24 pm »

My philosophy is:
If you are playing the game properly and not enjoying yourself, then hack/mod/cheat until you are enjoying yourself.
If you are hacking/modding/cheating and not enjoying yourself, then remove the hacks/mods/cheats until you are.

It's like adding spices to food; There isn't any right or wrong to it, everyone just has different tastes.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 01:26:43 am »

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure there are no mods that will instantly create things for you.

Personally, I don't normally play with modding the game at all, but I turned off aquifers on my newest fort because I usually deal with them in canyons so I can go around easily, and my latest inspiration involves a beach.  While I probably could have eventually figured out how to get through, I wanted to get to the more interesting stuff quickly.

Sometimes its better not to reclaim, and to just find somewhere new.  One of my brothers was obsessed with settling in this one spot on a river the first time he played.  It was a nice looking place, but this was in an older version where river fish were terrifying to even experienced players.  He got something like 200 dwarves killed over his various reclaim attempts, and never did get a fort started there.  Point is, if a place is now too dangerous for you, start over, and try to be safer.

A lot of players seem to use traps, which I believe require a mechanism and some sort of weapon, though I don't use them myself(because I'm suicidal?) so I don't know for sure.  Cage traps are less likely to hurt your own guys and can also make defense a bit easier.