Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Captain of Enterprise relieved from command  (Read 1503 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Captain of Enterprise relieved from command
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:00:12 pm »

Search turned up nothing, and I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been posted. Anyways...

Captain Owen Honors, formerly the captain of the carrier USS Enterprise, was relieved of command yesterday, following the publication of a serious of lewd and inappropriate videos produced by him. Here's a news link.

I'll agree that videotaping stuff like that shows a massive lack of the professionalism required for such a high position, but the big question is probably why the Navy hasn't done anything about it until it showed up in a large newspaper. The videos were made several years ago, when Honors was Executive Officer of the Enterprise, and the Navy was aware of it, and the complaints about it, but the Navy simply ignored it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Captain of Enterprise relieved from command
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:01:07 pm »

Goddamn it, I thought this was going to be about Patrick Stuart not playing Picard anymore.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:03:13 pm »

I for one appreciate that your countries military leaders are people too.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »

I think someone wanted him gone from his position for whatever reason, so they broke this to the press to have an excuse to get rid of such a high-ranking individual without suspicion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »

Its probably cause noone that received the complaints cared enough to do something about it while it stayed out of the media.  The captain obviously did a good enough job running his boat / keeping other things on the downlow despite the video complaints to not be smacked for the video.
Want Captain Videos out of his position?  Bring that into light and move him elsewhere over that.

Heck, if I was one of those people making decisions over in the military, I would not mind the 'unprofessional' quirks of my officers as long as they did their job and did it right.  That is, right up until civilian media starts gawking over it and putting things into question. 
Reassign him... whatever.  Wherever that is out of the light.

Didn't the start of the video or something say it was going to be offensive to someone?  Like a disclaimer notice?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

Meh, it's the government/military. As long as most people don't know what you did, you don't get punished. The moment it becomes a media item, you're toast.

Not that I am in any way condoning CPT Honors' conduct, but there are far more egregious actions that have gone unpunished, simply because they're not a big story.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:59:20 pm »

I thought it had to do with Picard getting removed. This is dissappointing.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

Heck, if I was one of those people making decisions over in the military, I would not mind the 'unprofessional' quirks of my officers as long as they did their job and did it right.  That is, right up until civilian media starts gawking over it and putting things into question. 
So, I take it you're a supporter of Bunny Ears Lawyers?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:47 pm »

I for one appreciate that your countries military leaders are people too.

The Singularity hasn't happened. Yet.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:52:33 pm »

So, I take it you're a supporter of Bunny Ears Lawyers?
*Resists clicking more links!*

And yea, sure.  I'll use the bunny ears lawyer if he is the Ace attorney...

EDIT:
Spoiler: Ulysses S. Grant (click to show/hide)
He got the job done.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:00:02 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Starmantle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:46:47 am »

A kooky video of your commanding officer fishing a chocolate bar out of the toilet and eating it, then broadcasting it to the entire ship?...  That's pretty bad.

But the sexism and gay slurs repeated over and over again in the film... that's no okay for a commanding officer.

I'm quite glad they removed him, but I agree with the earlier point - he should have been removed sometime in the large gulf of time between when his superiors learned about this and when the media finally found out about it.

It seems to show a lack of decent judgment that goes all the way to the top.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:39:51 am »

So in short:
Having a really drunk General commanding Union forces and even encouraging his behavior by sending the same brand of alcohol to other Union generals is ok.

Having a homophobe who makes crazy anti-gay videos and showing it around isn't.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 07:42:14 am »

It's the Union, to not share alcohol with your subordinates is the same as making a video showing various anti-say slurs on a modern ship.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:25 am »

The overriding issue here is Good Of The Navy. Kicking him out prior to this would hav necessitated cause, which would have necessitated publicizing knowledge of the videos. I'm certain that he got the hammer dropped on him, and he was probably saddled with reports that would kill his career.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:39 am »

So in short:
Having a really drunk General commanding Union forces and even encouraging his behavior by sending the same brand of alcohol to other Union generals is ok.

Having a homophobe who makes crazy anti-gay videos and showing it around isn't.

Grant has been pretty close to be fired himself. Beside if your standard for officer date from the secession war, you may have a problem.
I remember the story of an allied general in 14-18 that led a major offensive on the point where the french and german trench were the closest. But without checking the elevation map. It was a cliff... you can guess how it went.
in short, pre WW2 officer were generally incompetent, you can't base an argumentation on them.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: [1] 2