Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bedroom Design Commission  (Read 1008 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Bedroom Design Commission
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:19:27 am »

Well, not really a comission, as there's nothing I can pay you. The point is, I need a good bedroom design to house 50 dwarves on 1 z-level, with no overlaps other than walls between bedrooms and room to put not only a bed but a couple of doo-dads in each bedroom. The opening point will be a 3 x 3 up/down stairwell.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Design Commission
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:25:45 am »

how much crap priceless artifacts will you put in the room?
LOSING IS FUN!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:26:39 am »

how much crap priceless artifacts will you put in the room?

Probably just a cabinet at first, possibly a statue. Actually, it would be nice if each dwarf got a 3x3 bedroom.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:06 am »

A door , smoothed/engraved walls ( if posible) , a bed (ofc) , a statue , a cabinet/chest and perhaps if you really want it would be a table and a chair , depends on how much space you would have  :-\
Perhaps the size could be 3X3 , or just 3X1 ( in tiles) , you should read the wikia for desings of housing anyways , someone posted it some posts ago
Desu

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:18:03 pm »

One of the layouts I use is essentially dwarf warrens; a block might look like:

Code: [Select]
+==#+#==+==#+#==+
|...#...|...#...|
|...|...|...|...|
#..O|O..#..O|O..#
+#==+==#+#==+==#+
#..O|O..#..O|O..#
|...|...|...|...|
|...#...|...#...|
+==#+#==+==#+#==+
|...#...|...#...|
|...|...|...|...|
#..O|O..#..O|O..#
+#==+==#+#==+==#+
#..O|O..#..O|O..#
|...|...|...|...|
|...#...|...#...|
+==#+#==+==#+#==+

In this, O's are beds; .'s are open floor; =,+,|'s are walls, #'s are doors.  You use a lot of doors (I'm not sure how this affects framrate and pathing) but it's good if you like building inverted towers (my preferred architectural style uses 7x7 modular blocks).  As long as your dwarves don't mind other dwarves tracking mud through their rooms at all hours, it works pretty well.

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:48 pm »

Here is my layout (Warning: Mayday's tileset):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically a 4x4 room, ideally with a bunch of extra time spare for my craftsdwarves, each room would have a bed, table, chair, chest, and cabinet.

Key because I don't know the symbols in the vanilla game:
W=Wall
#=Floor
O=Bed
T=Table
C=Chair
D=Chest
B= Cabinet
&=Door

WWW&W
WBD##W
W####W
W####W
WTC#OW
WWWWW

Inverted or mirrored based on where I'm building.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 01:56:10 pm »

I didn't invent this, I saw it in a bedroom design thread on the forum a year or so ago.  Can't find it now, so apologies for not attributing it correctly.  But this is what I use when I want close quarters housing, adjusted for your request:
Code: [Select]
---------
|...|...|
|...|...|
|..>|>..|
---------
|..>|>..|
|...|...|
|...|...|
---------

You can tile this as many times as you want (12 sets of 4 would be 48 bedrooms), and most importantly, it is super-easy to designate.  Just mark a 7x7 to dig out, mark a 3x3 in the center of upstairs, downstairs, or ramps, whichever is easier, and then cancel designation for the two lines across the middle.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Instead of wasting space on your one level for hallways and doors and whatnot, you pack the dorfs in as close as you can, and have the stairs/ramps provide access on the next higher (or lower) level.

The stairs/ramps can go up into workshops, a dining hall, or, I just usually make it a big stockpile floor.  I honestly don't know a more efficient design for dwarfs per square on a one-floor bedroom level.

And, of course, you can make the rooms any size you want.

Just wall-off your big central stair on that level (or put doors into 8 rooms next to it), and have the stairs access the big stockpile level instead.  Straightshot to any stairway.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:58:05 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 02:18:40 pm »

The wiki has some really cool bedroom designs. Nice layouts for workshops too.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 02:20:32 pm »

If 48 is close enough, make a 8x8 block on your bedroom level, around your staircase. On each side, go to the middle and designate 12 squares out. Make 1x3 bedrooms, for a bed, chest, and a cabinent. Making the central block wider allows for another space for a statue.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.