Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Transportation Idea  (Read 1459 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
A Transportation Idea
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:54:15 am »

Let us suppose that we have some miners who have dug channels vigorously:

--            --------------- (ground)
--            ---------------
-- miners  ---------------
-------------------------

Now here's my question: if we built a floor (#) on top of the hole:

--######---------------
-- miners  ---------------
-------------------------

and designated a stockpile for food and beds on the floor, and then used supports to keep it up there and pulled the lever: would the food and beds make it down to the miners?

Here's a second question. If (~) is magma, and we have the following situation:

--######---------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

is it possible to (say) drop the floor with supports into or right next to magma, drop its load of elves off, and then rise back up again? I'm thinking that, if so, we could also use this for a dwarven elevator.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A Transportation Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:59:23 am »

The falling floor will crush the miners below.

Beds and food stockpiled on the falling floor will be scattered around the bottom of the shaft once the collapse has finished.  The beds will be unusable, since they're just lying around and not built, and the food will rapidly rot, not being in a food stockpile.

There's no way to make a floor descend without collapsing and being destroyed, and no way at all to make a floor ascend.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:02:41 am »

Supposing that the setup was this:

------------###### --------------
------------           ---------------
--                                           --
--                                           --
-- m                                    m  --
-----------------------------------
thus keeping the miners away from the floor and, once the floor is destroyed, giving them enough space to build food stockpiles and a dorm.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:10:05 am »

<>

I like it. Just be sure to carve the inlets deep enough that they aren't killed by dust and such from the falling crap.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:13:23 am »

I was just thinking, if you put 19 single dwarves (thus preventing any strange moods) with a farm (I couldn't irrigate it, but others certainly could) in such an environment you could have a breeding population to reclaim the fortress without Reclaiming in the case of fun. Build barracks and draft all who don't farm.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:23:52 am »

dont wooden floors break apart when falling?(before they hit the ground)
LOSING IS FUN!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:53:26 am »

dont wooden floors break apart when falling?(before they hit the ground)
Constructed floors of any time break apart into their component materials when they fall, but they also punch through floors and crush anything in their path in the process.  It's as if the deconstruction takes place after the cavein finishes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:09:03 pm »

It'd be easier to just designate a garbage zone near the edge of the pit, then mark the food and beds for dumping.  The miners will need to place the beds themselves, but you avoid the cave-in and associated dangers.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:00 pm »

It'd be easier to just designate a garbage zone near the edge of the pit, then mark the food and beds for dumping.  The miners will need to place the beds themselves, but you avoid the cave-in and associated dangers.

This is what you should do, much easier than caveins. You could also drop in other goods all the time if needed.

Imagine managing 3 forts in 1 embark area, having something like 10-30 dwarves in each hole and no way to be connected to each other. Three times the fun!
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 05:29:59 pm »

This is what you should do, much easier than caveins. You could also drop in other goods all the time if needed.

Imagine managing 3 forts in 1 embark area, having something like 10-30 dwarves in each hole and no way to be connected to each other. Three times the fun!

And much harder for that final Fun to hit.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:20 pm »

Which gives me an idea: put a husband and wife in completely sealed-off containers (with full walls and floors) to see if they can still breed.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 06:05:03 pm »

Which gives me an idea: put a husband and wife in completely sealed-off containers (with full walls and floors) to see if they can still breed.
Assuming the spores theory is true (Very very very very likely.  As in, I am 99.9999% sure.) they will be able to.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 06:30:18 pm »

You can't be almost sure. You must be certain, and you must run !!experiments!!.