Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about water presssure.  (Read 485 times)

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about water presssure.
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:39:35 am »

Hey Community,

I have a little question about water pressure.
So let imagine I had dig a little Sea deep underground.It is 2 levels deep and is filled by a channel which depressured the water by this diagonal gap in the walls trick. Now let imagine a waterfall drops down from 5-10 z-levels about. Will it let the sea overflow or will the sea works like a river or aquifer?

Thanks Bastus

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about water presssure.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:56:04 am »

It will overflow, because all that water has to go somewhere. If you want a waterfall into a basin 2 z-levels deep, you could run a drainage pipe out of the lower level of the basin into something that will take the water (aquifer, map edge, everburning bin) going up once before reaching it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:39:44 pm »

It will overflow, because all that water has to go somewhere. If you want a waterfall into a basin 2 z-levels deep, you could run a drainage pipe out of the lower level of the basin into something that will take the water (aquifer, map edge, everburning bin) going up once before reaching it.
I... didn't think of using fire in that way. That could make a fun sauna/steam generator.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:57:13 pm »

Remember that (in DF) pressure is something that a liquid does, not a property that it has, so depressurizing it beforehand only limits how much will flow in.

Water at sea-level will act as an aquifer in infinitely eliminating excess water, even when unconnected to a map edge.  I haven't had the time or patience to test other levels, but I expect you'll need a map edge, or similar water-sink.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:43:36 pm »

managing waterfalls is a bit tricky.  I would basically make a run-off basin for if the water gets too high, and then use a pressure plate with a gear assembly to automatically turn on pumps that pump it off fortifications on the edge of the map.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku