Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: caged prisoner  (Read 1032 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caged prisoner
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:10:14 am »

i am fairly new to this game, and i am on my third fortress.  i recently captured a couple squads of goblins, and i wanna unequip their stuff before i let my military at them, how do i take their stuff?  and whats the best way to have my military kill them?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caged prisoner
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:24:46 am »

I read something about mass dumping all of the goblin stuff and then reclaiming it, but I'm not sure how that works. Also, who says you need your military to kill them? ;D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:26:04 am »

d-b-c to unforbid
d-b-d to mark for dump
then k - d to remark cage from dumping

IIRC

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:34:54 am »

thanks,

i put them all in one cage, if i remove building on the empty cages can i reuse them?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:41 am »

Yes, they'll then be placed in your animal stockpile. Only chains and ropes and such break when you remove them.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:42:50 am »

it still won't let me access their inventories, i don't wanna dump these 10 goblins into a room with my army jsut to have them win.  i still cant see how to remove their armor and weapons.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:45:20 am »

Hmm. Odd. You could put their cage in a bit of a pit, then link the cage to a lever, link the pit to a river or brook (don't forget to use a floodgate!), open the floodgate, open the cage, drown the goblins, close the floodgate, let the water dissipate and then take their stuff.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:27 am »

i want my military to train on them, worst comes to worst im gonna drop them a few levels(hoping it will knock them out) one by one and let my military at them then.  i cant seem to get my dwarves to remove the corpses, what hauling is needed to do that?  i will make it someone's only ability.

normally how do i access their inventory? i been trying q and putting it over them, v and t aswell

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:05:27 am »

You won't see their inventory. Just "mass" designate the cage tile with the commands I wrote some posts above this.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 10:09:58 am »

yeah, i unforbid them, but i have been watching and noone has come to take anyhting from them, and they had two handed swords and stuff

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 10:27:09 am »

Yes, they'll then be placed in your animal stockpile. Only chains and ropes and such break when you remove them.

The chains and ropes don't break, btw.  They become part of the inventory of the critter that was attached to them when you removed.  Took me FOREVER to figure this out.  (I had a cow with a rope reed rope in its inventory.)

You can do the dump-order to get them to take the chain back, and then claim it at your garbage dump. Or just remember to unassign before you remove the chain.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:15 am »

how do i drop them into the pit?  cant figure that out, got the pit designated and a cage next to it.  now what?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:33 pm »

First of all, concerning the stripping of the goblins, are your dwarves idling, and do they have refuse hauling enabled? Both should be yes before they come to strip the gobbos. Also, you need to designate a garbage dump zone, using (i) to mark the zone and (g) to set it as a garbage dump.

Second, to pit a creature go to your pit zone, the press (P) to access the pit/pond preferences. There you can assign creatures to the pit; search for the goblin names (they'll stand out) and assign them. Your dwarves will come to throw them in shortly after. Be careful of pitting thieves, however, as they very often escape the clutches of your dwarves and make a break for it, possibly injuring someone in the process.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:13 pm »

Second, to pit a creature go to your pit zone, the press (P) to access the pit/pond preferences. There you can assign creatures to the pit; search for the goblin names (they'll stand out) and assign them. Your dwarves will come to throw them in shortly after. Be careful of pitting thieves, however, as they very often escape the clutches of your dwarves and make a break for it, possibly injuring someone in the process.

Every goblin I have ever tried to pit has escaped, resulting in mayhem and injuries.  This is regardless of profession, distance to pit, or strength of dwarf moving the prisoner.  Can someone record a movie of how this is done?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:27 pm »

The chains and ropes don't break, btw.  They become part of the inventory of the critter that was attached to them when you removed.  Took me FOREVER to figure this out.  (I had a cow with a rope reed rope in its inventory.)
Oh, I knew that. But I thought it meant that they couldn't be used anymore.
You can do the dump-order to get them to take the chain back, and then claim it at your garbage dump. Or just remember to unassign before you remove the chain.
Nice! That's good to know.
Pages: [1] 2