Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extremely odd embark  (Read 1077 times)

NewOutlook

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Extremely odd embark
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:52:53 am »

On a recently genned world, I embarked on a nice little 4x4 area at the intersection of 3 biomes (mountain, temperate conifer, and badlands), immediately I noticed terrible FPS starting out.  After revealing the map I noticed several rather odd things:

• I had a cavern that stared at Z -15 or so and went down nearly 80 z-levels of open space before continuing directly into hell (forming a single tube that went from Z-15 to Z-150).
  • Every single cavern, every magma sea, and hell were all linked together seamlessly
  • There was only one area remotely recognizable as a magma sea and it emptied entirely into hell (it was cut in half)
  • Nearly every underground pool of water also emptied into hell

Pretty sure that this is not what is supposed to happen.  Oh, and there were no demons.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Extremely odd embark
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:02:57 am »

Before anyone else asks... world gen parameters/save, please? Oh, and finely-crafted engravings screenshots, too. :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:29 am »

Tunnels to hell are the new Adamantine space elevators it would seem.
*Hugs*

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:24:06 am »

atleast you can mine adamantine without any hazard ( xcept sieges for yet wealth)
Desu

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:08 am »

This's happened to me before.  Of course, the magma sea draining into hell crashed my fps immediately.  Good times...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:57:02 pm »

Oh, and there were no demons.
They were like: 'Oh, damned neighbors from the next floor, they've flooded us'.
Then they've called the workers to repair ceiling and went to relatives until all is fixed. You know that happens sometimes if you live in a block of flats
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:06:35 am »

My favorite embark site to date was completely unplayable, but still gave me a chuckle: It had a magma pipe that immediately collapsed upon embark. This lead to every single cavern level being flooded with magma (even though the pipe collapsed, the magma will still regenerate in the pipe's former location). This in turn lead to MASSIVE cave-in announcements as the magma and cave water collided making hanging obsidian. And then, to finish it all off: eventually the constant cave-ins will breach HFS. All this will take about 20-mins of extreme lag and before the first season change, you are swarmed with HFS. that fly/swim up the collapsed magma pipe.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.