Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34433 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #450 on: January 08, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »

So... this is about removing the people you don't like after all?

Are you serious? That's what you've got out of 18 pages of this thread? That I want to move along people I personally don't like? Please don't put words in my mouth, especially when they have nothing to do at all with what is being discussed. What I'm saying is if that you do what people in this thread have been suggesting and make a forum where the rules are relaxed and people can post whatever they want, eventually they'll start doing that everywhere else as well. This has already happened on this forum once.

Blackberry vines could spread everywhere, but that doesn't mean you can't let them grow in limited areas.  They're tasty and beneficial.  You just have to be careful about pruning them back IF they get out of control, you don't have to nuke them from orbit (it's not the only way to be sure).

And in your analogy what you /don't/ do is just let them grow until someone walking past says 'hey, those are kind of getting out of control and maybe you should do something about it.' You keep them trimmed and in a set boundary. Same with a forum.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 08, 2011, 06:16:43 pm »

Some people like levity and some people like serious discourse.

If people are chatting and having fun, and they are not otherwise harassing people and being a nuisance, leave them alone.

If people are engaged in meaningful and respectful debate, leave them alone if you do not wish to participate.

Keep conversations within a thread on-topic, and treat one another with basic dignity.

There, you've all been enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:42 pm »

I was actually talking about what G-Flex said.

And in your analogy what you /don't/ do is just let them grow until someone walking past says 'hey, those are kind of getting out of control and maybe you should do something about it.' You keep them trimmed and in a set boundary. Same with a forum.
It seems to be more "destroy them all".

Thanks, I love being patronised.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 08, 2011, 06:19:46 pm »

So... this is about removing the people you don't like after all?

No, it's not. I don't do that even when I'm the one doing the moderating.

So people are saying that silliness in some threads is bad, because it will spill over into oth
Blackberry vines could spread everywhere, but that doesn't mean you can't let them grow in limited areas.  They're tasty and beneficial.  You just have to be careful about pruning them back IF they get out of control, you don't have to nuke them from orbit (it's not the only way to be sure).

It's not always that simple. Administering a forum (or any other sort of online community) is not just about rules, banishment, reporting, and that sort of stuff: It's about fostering the kind of community and environment that you want to foster. This is not something you can accomplish just by banning or yelling at people unless you do it in a fairly loose-cannon manner or the community is very small. A lot of things aren't cut-and-dry enough to make rules about, and there is a lot of behavior worth discouraging but not worth banning people over. There are degrees of subtlety here that you really just aren't addressing.

Also: Just because blackberries are good doesn't necessarily mean I want to grow them on my dairy farm, because people can get them elsewhere.

I know I've said things like this before, but I'd appreciate it if people would actually address my points (and in ways that I haven't already responded to a dozen times over), instead of picking at really incidental points or engaging in bizarre character attacks.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 08, 2011, 06:22:19 pm »

Thanks, I love being patronised.
[/quote]

I wasn't addressing you in particular, or anyone else, for that matter.  This was a blanket statement.

Let's all get along here.  I just left a forum that had a major schism because the people running the place didn't have basic respect for the regular folk.  I don't like to see this sort of in-fighting.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 08, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »

I still don't get G-flex and now bouchard's point : You can ask for a derail to stop.
And it work. If thing get nasty, you can report a derail.
Beside  don't see any overwhelming silliness. Maybe a lot of unpleasant opinion, but we can't suppress that.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:22 pm »

I still don't get G-flex and now bouchard's point : You can ask for a derail to stop.
And it work. If thing get nasty, you can report a derail.
Beside  don't see any overwhelming silliness. Maybe a lot of unpleasant opinion, but we can't suppress that.

My point was a boilerplate "let's all just get along" type of statement.

By and large the Bay12 crew is a reasonable group of folk, if otherwise passionate and a bit quirky.  I don't think there's any reason why we can't understand that people come to these forums for a variety of different reasons, all of them valid.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2011, 06:26:23 pm »

Also: Just because blackberries are good doesn't necessarily mean I want to grow them on my dairy farm, because people can get them elsewhere.
The difference here is that it's not your dairy farm.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 08, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »

I don't get how a thread can do that (except maybe in the case of the VN moving fortress thread).  Unless you're just trying to annoy some users you don't like into leaving by deleting their threads.

And if someone wanted to moderate, they could go to those threads and report things WITHOUT being a moderator.  Heck, if you want to be a mod, you could go do it now.

Something doesn't even have to be reportable in order to cause problems for other parts of the forums, and I've explained why threads/subforums can affect others: They attract certain people and engender certain types of atmosphere, behavior, discussion, and so forth.
No one but you agrees with this. You want mods to go around hunting down "them troublemakers and their sneaky threads that aren't actually enough to report or against the rules, cause them's troublemakers like them crackheads and other minoritahs." You also have done nothing but just state that you feel that way over and over again when asked to actually provide evidence or a coherent argument as to why people should believe this.

Last time I looked, people who used crack and people in gangs weren't a minority. Unless you're automatically assuming that by using the words 'crackheads' and 'gang' that automatically means minorities.
Unless you're implying that crackheads and gangsters make up a majority of the population, yes, they do form a minority.

I find it amusing that you don't see the quite blatant parallels between veiled complaining about "those types and how they just ruin everything," and racists who think they're being subtle. The fact that you (even if unintentionally) then use loaded metaphors (in that, your metaphors are actual arguments some people use) makes it all more hilarious.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #459 on: January 08, 2011, 06:31:17 pm »

Again, I shall say. Saying something is racist when having nothing to do with a race is racist in itself. Just warning.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 08, 2011, 06:32:16 pm »

Er, what's your point? I know it isn't mine, which is why I'm not trying to exercise any authority. I'm giving advice and voicing my perspective on things, which is something we're all qualified to do here. I don't really understand the hostility towards me here just because I'm expressing opinions that some people don't like.

Unless you're implying that crackheads and gangsters make up a majority of the population, yes, they do form a minority.

Ergh. You know what he meant: He meant that "crackheads" does not imply "racial minority" nor is it about race (not that I ever used the term "crackheads").

I find it amusing that you don't see the quite blatant parallels between veiled complaining about "those types and how they just ruin everything," and racists who think they're being subtle. The fact that you (even if unintentionally) then use loaded metaphors (in that, your metaphors are actual arguments some people use) makes it all more hilarious.

Wait, what? So I can't complain about groups making things worse, ever, without people like you drawing parallels between that and racism? Even when I'm not referring to a specific group? This is obviously getting out of hand enough that it's not going to stop, so I'm reporting this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »

This is getting a little personal. Cool it and stick to rebutting actual points, please. We're not here to discuss crack users. Drop that tangent and move on.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:33 pm »

Can we drop the crackhead discussion?
It's not really going anywhere.

Ninja'd by Retro.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2011, 06:38:16 pm »

I said I found the rhetorical parallels hilarious, especially since you're not seeing them yourself. You're complaining about "those types and how we don't want those types around." It's quite obviously not a racist sentiment, just that the way you keep going at it it just gets more and more awkward, which I find funny.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 08, 2011, 06:39:04 pm »

I said I found the rhetorical parallels hilarious, especially since you're not seeing them yourself. You're complaining about "those types and how we don't want those types around." It's quite obviously not a racist sentiment, just that the way you keep going at it it just gets more and more awkward, which I find funny.

You've just been asked to drop it, twice.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34