Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34452 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #360 on: January 06, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »

I do the "wait-my-post-sucks-why-would-I-write-that" thing on occasion, but in those situations I usually just keep rewording and adding/subtracting to the post until it satisfies me rather than delete the whole thing.

I used to visit the upper forums a lot, but I don't play as much anymore, so my knowledge and ability to make worthwile posts has diminished over time.
Forum Games and Roleplaying is now my home.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 07, 2011, 06:22:47 am »

All I know is that I've typed out quite a few posts only to say "Nah, that won't contribute at all to the thread" and close the tab.

I thought I was the only one.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 07, 2011, 06:26:13 am »

I do it all the time. I also happen to think its something I picked up from mafia.

Heh, I do it constantly as well. I usually don't write stuff without thinking about it a while and knowing it's post-worthy. Of course, I sometimes fail at this.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2011, 07:33:35 am »

I'm leaving the forums, since it seems I can't create a thread without it getting locked for no reason whatsoever.

Fuck it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 07, 2011, 07:36:28 am »

I've seriously already struck on a damn good idea. Leave GD as it is, and just open up a new segment for the srs business discussion. That way you keep your peanut butter out of my chocolate, and I keep my chocolate out of your peanut butter.
I like this idea. Open a debate forum (probably should give it a dedicated mod) for things like the Koream War thread (that was going good until trolling got out of hand), or the Atheism thread. That will help make it easier for people to determine how much "silly" is approriate.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #365 on: January 07, 2011, 08:01:46 am »

I'm leaving the forums, since it seems I can't create a thread without it getting locked for no reason whatsoever.

Fuck it.

Are you expecting sympathy for that tantrum?
I think you should just take a while and relax. Lay low for a bit, and if things don't warm back up for you, then make rash decisions. I heard some of the reasoning for your locked/deleted threads, and I agree it seems unfair, but just chill out and start them over one at a time. The big thing it seemed was you were almost topic spamming, which can be solved by slowing down.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 07, 2011, 08:13:25 am »

Pretty much, that was the only reason I got annoyed
Just slow down, and wait atleast a week before making more topics

I woke up in the morning to see your threads locked, and in the evening, I saw you already posting more.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 07, 2011, 08:17:53 am »

All I know is that I've typed out quite a few posts only to say "Nah, that won't contribute at all to the thread" and close the tab.

I thought I was the only one.

Hidily-ho, kindred spirits. I must confess to a certain amount of apathy in my approach to this forum, something that remains the same, online and off. If there is a problem with the forums, if another 'this was an oasis of enlightened individuals' argument springs up, I simply don't care. Let things take their due course, whatever that may be, and I'll just deal. I have been here for three years, I have made a lot of good, firm friends and if the shit hits the fan I've the good sense, as do many others, to have access to the means of continued interaction with those firm friends. So whatever happens here, if the doomsday criers finally, finally get it right, my response will be eh. Which is, I'm guessing, a lot more petty than what people expected of me. Ah well.

Still behind DF 100% though. Soon I'll be able to donate! Won't that be nice.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 07, 2011, 08:32:26 am »

I do it all the time. I also happen to think its something I picked up from mafia.

Heh, I do it constantly as well. I usually don't write stuff without thinking about it a while and knowing it's post-worthy. Of course, I sometimes fail at this.

Same.
Of course, if it's the happy or the sad thread, I post it anyway.
Otherwise I delete any post, which would just second someones opinion, without contributing anything new.
I'm prowd of my low post-count.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 07, 2011, 11:40:53 am »

It does make sense that most of those in this healthy forum take advantage of the forum-ability to proof-read what they write before they post it, and the personal ability to keep track of meaning and use it to judge accurately, or just err to the side of care.

It's also interesting (from Mindmaker's third to last sentence) that the threads with the highest post-counts are also the threads that encourage posters to be candid and direct; to bypass the editing process in favor of spontaneity. So they are more popular from the freedom, and collect all those posts that would otherwise have been discarded.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:03 am »

And thay are where the problem is most prone to appearing. I sense a pattern here.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:17 am »

I really want someone to explain what the advantage of having player mods would be.

As it is, Toady One and Threetoe are able to read every report.  Now, I would definitely report any thread I thought was worthy of deletion.  So, basically, all that the current system means is that Toady One or Threetoe have to approve every deletion/ editing suggestion.

As far as I can tell, the only things that adding player mods would do is:
1. Make the mod less popular, and cause people to complain about them to Toady One ALL THE TIME.
2. Mean that the mod can bend the rules to his own opinions.  So... I guess that's an argument from your perspective for you being a player mod, but...

Indeed. This happens to me quite a bit, especially for the posts that I spend a lot of time on. I think this is a habit I picked up from playing forum Mafia here.
Yeah, I have to agree.  Especially when I'm typing a post as I'm reading something, and what I've read has actually changed my view since the first part of the post.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #372 on: January 07, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »

Indeed. This happens to me quite a bit, especially for the posts that I spend a lot of time on. I think this is a habit I picked up from playing forum Mafia here.
Me too.

I think Mafia is the chemo. Everyone should play it at least once.

It makes you a generally more thoughtful poster, I think.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 07, 2011, 12:30:43 pm »

I imagine there is value to be had to the candidness and less editorial nature of the happy/sad threads. I don't know, though, as I've never been in them. But from things said here, its obvious some people see a line between whats acceptable here and there, in a silly thread or a serious one - I guess the problem is that there are kind of those two extremes and people have difficulty with middle ground, and there are those who don't really get the difference?

I don't really know, though.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 07, 2011, 12:43:01 pm »

I don't go to a lot of the threads in the upper forums because I know a lot of them won't be worthwhile to me.  Heck, whole subforums sometimes.  Same with the middle forums.  Why should the lower ones be considered any different at all?

Because some of the threads down here are only appealing to a small clique of members and they're causing problems, then they're doing more harm than good.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34