Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34464 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2011, 09:45:56 pm »

All I know is that I've typed out quite a few posts only to say "Nah, that won't contribute at all to the thread" and close the tab.
Indeed. This happens to me quite a bit, especially for the posts that I spend a lot of time on. I think this is a habit I picked up from playing forum Mafia here.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:07 pm »

As difficult as it may be to believe, even I have, on occasion, done that.
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »

I do it all the time. I also happen to think its something I picked up from mafia.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2011, 10:02:37 pm »

No, we just need to keep a tighter lid on the silliness. All I know is that I've typed out quite a few posts only to say "Nah, that won't contribute at all to the thread" and close the tab.
I do this a lot as well, and not just on this forum. I type out a lot of things and think "wait, that's stupid" and delete it. Probably saved me from some awkward/stupid conversations, but it's annoyed me many times.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:12 pm »

You write it to vent your feelings, then kill it so it doesn't come back to bite you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2011, 10:08:33 pm »

It's a good habit that I follow religiously.  Sometimes, it takes members longer to calibrate than others, even if they do try.  But trying is the first step.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2011, 10:10:25 pm »

Wow, and I thought I was one of the few who did that. It came to me as a surprise that so many of us do it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »

What about the forums of today are core-reasons that you so dislike them? Evolution creates new characteristics, and surely one or some of them must be the real reason and not evolution itself.

Are you addressing me? I don't have any problem with any of this. In fact, I said almost the same thing you've just said:

That's certainly a sensible way to do things. Watching and waiting as opposed to jumping right in, I mean. And looking at the state of things in an objective sense is also sensible. But that doesn't change the fact that as long as there's contrast in content - remember the posts (were they in the sad thread? I can't remember) complaining about the apparent mathi-ness of the then-current discussions? - people will always feel that things are moving in the wrong direction.

People will always affect people, and in turn affect entire communities. Alternatively, there's no such thing as "devolution".

Aside: I think it would be foolish to suggest that there is a "reason" for the evolution of... well, anything, really. There's a percieved reason which is almost universally false, if that's what you mean.

I was only addressing you because it seemed like you were one of the people disillusioned by the current state of the forums.

I wasn't saying the reason for evolution, but rather that there is a reason for feeling unwelcome. Evolution happens, regardless of why. Evolution causes change in characteristics (among other things, but that's what I'm focusing on), and in a similar way, surely there must be some current characteristic that people take enough offense to to just ignore the forums entirely.

I think people have mentioned the silliness, but I would have rather them come on and restated it than go dredging it up myself. I may have to dredge it if that's what it takes, unless they really don't care to have anything to do with the forums. In which case there's no point in trying to make amends. =/
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:41 pm »

I do it all the time. I also happen to think its something I picked up from mafia.

Haha, me too.  I don't know if it's a mafia thing or what.

There's lots of times when I post a little and then go "Oops, I'm posting too much today, better stop," as well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 06, 2011, 10:19:01 pm »

Hmm. Can't say I've ever done that :| *innocent whistle*
*Hugs*

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #355 on: January 06, 2011, 10:20:18 pm »

I get that too. Annoying though, because I spend so much time on these forums and never have any time to actually play some games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 06, 2011, 10:21:58 pm »

I refrain from posting a lot too, but obviously not enough people do it often enough.

Anyways, mods would seem like a good idea, just for the lower forums. I agree that there are problems. I don't go to a lot of the threads in the lower forums because I know there's not going to be any worthwhile content.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »

I don't go to a lot of the threads in the upper forums because I know a lot of them won't be worthwhile to me.  Heck, whole subforums sometimes.  Same with the middle forums.  Why should the lower ones be considered any different at all?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 06, 2011, 10:26:17 pm »

Yeah. I only really go to the upper forums to answer questions and discuss suggestions. Most of my forum time is spent in the lower forums.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27:23 pm »

I've got to say, there's a difference between the fanfic thread and the pony thread.

The latter at least had a topic, and would qualify as "something one would not visit due to lack of preference," if anything.  The former was just a mess, and I think could readily be considered "contentless, and better suited to instant message."

I think there's an important distinction to be made here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34