Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34404 times)

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2011, 08:54:08 pm »

I believe Toady One chose to lock your threads because people found some of them problematic. "Complain About Games," in particular, began with you asserting that "people always seem to bitch and moan when you complain in their threads about the game," and therefore it was sensible to make an entire topic dedicated to ripping on games you dislike. Perhaps that topic would be suitable for a personal blog, but for a forum, where you seek discussion, a topic solely for complaining doesn't seem appropriate.

Overall, I'm sure that several of your threads were legitimate topics, but because of your other ones, it may have been difficult to sift through which ones were good and which ones were pointless.

EDIT: Removed. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:05:06 pm by Kusgnos »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2011, 08:58:24 pm »

It was just too many threads.  You have to be fair to other people.  Only one of them was reported.  I looked at all of them, but I didn't want to pick and choose favorites, so I locked them all.  The number was the main problem.  I think negative topics like complaining about games are probably destined for a flame+lock but that's a different matter.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 06, 2011, 09:00:40 pm »

I've only been a very casual reader of these forums but I haven't observed too much bad stuff.  Perhaps it's because things are moderated out of existence before I show up.

I've been a member of other forums that were far worse.  We're talking a group of two dozen people that can't get along at all.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 06, 2011, 09:00:57 pm »

I believe Toady One chose to lock your threads because people found some of them problematic. "Complain About Games," in particular, began with you asserting that "people always seem to bitch and moan when you complain in their threads about the game," and therefore it was sensible to make an entire topic dedicated to ripping on games you dislike. Perhaps that topic would be suitable for a personal blog, but for a forum, where you seek discussion, a topic solely for complaining doesn't seem appropriate.

I just felt it removed negative discussion from the games threads (where, if you mention anything negative about the games, you'll usually get told to get out etc) and allowed it an easier place to be discussion. Honestly, some games need complaining about.

Also, I don't really like the way you target #### on possibly being the one to report your thread. I don't think it helps anyone. Overall, I'm sure that several of your threads were legitimate topics, but because of your other ones, it may have been difficult to sift through which ones were good and which ones were pointless.

Removed it. Take it out of your quote? :p

I don't know, it doesn't seem that complex to me. =/ I just felt it stifled discussion a bit, especially in the Shogun 2 thread which was just getting started.

It was just too many threads.  You have to be fair to other people.  Only one of them was reported.  I looked at all of them, but I didn't want to pick and choose favorites, so I locked them all.  The number was the main problem.  I think negative topics like complaining about games are probably destined for a flame+lock but that's a different matter.

Would it be possible to get the specific games threads (Shogun 2: Total War and AvP Games ones, I don't think the Lead and Gold one is going anywhere :p) unlocked? Those discussions were coming along nicely.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

Excuse me Toady, but why still lock the threads? Would it had made a difference if he could ask someone else to post for him? The only solutions i can think of if topic whoring really bothers people and you would be a limit per day. I looked through a few, and they did not seem to violate any of the rules... Even if others did get out of hand.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 06, 2011, 09:08:34 pm »

He just said that he didn't want to pick and choose. Obviously a few were generating flak and he decided it would be best to just end it before it got out of hand.
*Hugs*

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:58 pm »

Heheh. Every time I write a post in this thread, it gets ninjaed to the point of being unnecessary. I take quite a while to write my posts for serious threads, as I don't want to be offensive or anything. (I was ninjaed 8 times while I was writing this most recent post)
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »

I think the best way to keep the forums open would be two pronged:

1. Logic. Simply self moderate. Don't make one word post or posts that only have pictures. Don't participate in flamewars or stupid crap like that. As well, you should not create threads that are destined for stupid things like 'Complain about Games.'

2. More power for thread creators. They should be able to moderate their own threads and delete posts that are not constructive. THis would be open to abuse, but I think that it would not be abused because we are a reasonable forum for the most part. Any threads being manipulated by their creators would likely die off due to disinterest and anger at the censorship. As well, it could be possible for thread creators to ban certain users from their threads.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 06, 2011, 09:26:59 pm »

People keep suggesting point 2, and people keep arguing that no, that's too much power in the hands of topic creators and it WILL be abused.  Personally I'm on the side that thinks it would be abused, and abused a lot.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 06, 2011, 09:28:15 pm »

Yeah. Just preemptively postblock people who you don't like. It'll seem like they just don't want to post there.
*Hugs*

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 06, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »

1. Logic. Simply self moderate. Don't make one word post or posts that only have pictures. Don't participate in flamewars or stupid crap like that. As well, you should not create threads that are destined for stupid things like 'Complain about Games.'

2. More power for thread creators. They should be able to moderate their own threads and delete posts that are not constructive. THis would be open to abuse, but I think that it would not be abused because we are a reasonable forum for the most part. Any threads being manipulated by their creators would likely die off due to disinterest and anger at the censorship. As well, it could be possible for thread creators to ban certain users from their threads.
1. I think that picture posts are okay, as long as the picture is appropriate to the thread.
Just my opinion.

2. I agree completely, though the pre-blocking seems a little too much.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 06, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »

I was stating the preblocking as a point against.
*Hugs*

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #342 on: January 06, 2011, 09:35:05 pm »

1 is what everybody is suggesting here.

2 is just no. We don't need that kind of thing going on here. If anything, a thread creator should count as 2 people when reporting a post, but never moderate their own thread. That's just asking for trouble. The potential for trolling is really high as well.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:57 pm »

So we don't need any changes at all because we are a perfectly managed and well mannered society, yet at the same time we would not be able to handle more authority in our own threads? We either trust ourselves or we don't guys.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:05 pm »

No, we just need to keep a tighter lid on the silliness. All I know is that I've typed out quite a few posts only to say "Nah, that won't contribute at all to the thread" and close the tab.

Still, sometimes my inner idiocy stares through.

EDIT: Also, ninja edits are useful things.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:41:26 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34