Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34431 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #315 on: January 06, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »

Not the MSPA thread?
Not everyone apreciates MSPA as much as we do!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »

My favorite thread in the GD board is the anime thread.  Never die on me.
Not the MSPA thread?
I was originally going to say my favorite two threads with the MSPA thread as well, but I'm the OP and thought it would be a jerk move.

Not the MSPA thread?
wut

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #317 on: January 06, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »

I think I'm just asking other people for the same courtesy.  I'm not saying "Stop talking about ___ forever :I"  I'm just saying that there's balance which we can all try to observe in an effort to get along, and we can try to phase out this "us or them" mentality.

Plus, we used to be more careful about spoilering our images... I think there's some little things we can do to improve the quality of our discussions, without alienating anyone who wouldn't be far happier on an actual imageboard.  We can try harder not to derail dedicated threads and avoid duplication, and get better about sending PMs to people who are doing unchill things.  Really, I don't think we've gone too far down the tubes.  There's a number of easy fixes available.

I still like this forum far better than any other I've ever been to, but I think there's a few steps we can take to make this place even more pleasant for everyone.

Thanks, Vector.
This is exactly what I think the discussion should be on. Identifying possible errs that people make, including his or her own, and suggestions to rectify them.

I have not heard much from the IRC and others that are disillusioned with the site, which is really what I feel the focus should be on: Why exactly do you feel the way you do about the forums and are there any steps you can suggest such that the forums do not seem so unwelcome to you?

The closest thing since keeping this discussion up seems to be this:

While you may not be relatively new, there are still a fair few people around (primarily on IRC, as mentioned previously), who joined far earlier (2007 seems to be a large step-up from previous years in terms of numbers of users). It's not a matter of being "new" or "not new" as much as it's a matter of a "generation gap" of sorts. Most people who joined a year ago appear as part of the issue to those who joined in previous years, as much as those who joined in those years appear as symptoms of a decline to those in further years, etc..

From what I've seen here and elsewhere, the likelyhood/magnitude of this increases exponentially as places get larger, if only because there are an everlarger number of posts made that simply involve people complaining.

This is probably the exact reason things appear so bad to certain people: The forums today are not what they appeared to be in years past.
The attitude portrayed is horribly defeatist, at least to me. "There seems to be no hope to fix the situation, because we just feel like we don't belong, and we never will due to the ever-evolving community."
What about the forums of today are core-reasons that you so dislike them? Evolution creates new characteristics, and surely one or some of them must be the real reason and not evolution itself.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 06, 2011, 06:50:41 pm »

What about the forums of today are core-reasons that you so dislike them? Evolution creates new characteristics, and surely one or some of them must be the real reason and not evolution itself.

Are you addressing me? I don't have any problem with any of this. In fact, I said almost the same thing you've just said:

That's certainly a sensible way to do things. Watching and waiting as opposed to jumping right in, I mean. And looking at the state of things in an objective sense is also sensible. But that doesn't change the fact that as long as there's contrast in content - remember the posts (were they in the sad thread? I can't remember) complaining about the apparent mathi-ness of the then-current discussions? - people will always feel that things are moving in the wrong direction.

People will always affect people, and in turn affect entire communities. Alternatively, there's no such thing as "devolution".

Aside: I think it would be foolish to suggest that there is a "reason" for the evolution of... well, anything, really. There's a percieved reason which is almost universally false, if that's what you mean.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 06, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

Not the MSPA thread?
wut
In heind sight, that was a bit non-sensical
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »

Putting a heind sight on a gun would probably make the bullets illiterate.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 06, 2011, 06:59:05 pm »

ToonyMan is here.
Now all we need is Realmfighter, and the thread will be complete!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 06, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »

I've seriously already struck on a damn good idea. Leave GD as it is, and just open up a new segment for the srs business discussion. That way you keep your peanut butter out of my chocolate, and I keep my chocolate out of your peanut butter.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »

I've been struck by a bit of bad moderation myself. I don't think it's Toady's fault, I think it's just a lack of his time to be able to effectively moderate.

Every single thread that I've made in Other Games was reported by someone, which lead to them all being locked. Even the perfectly valid ones. The rest were mildly spammy, but no more than other threads in Other Games.

This lead to Toady posting this in one of my threads:-
Quote from: Toady One
Deus ex Machina is starting far too many topics (7 in two days, or something) and it's starting to irritate people.  I don't think the conversations were illegitimate, but there's a point at which it becomes excessive and causes problems.  It's not fair to other people, so I'm going to have to lock the latest threads.

I don't know, guys, I think this could've been prevented with another moderator who is able to actually read the threads, but I don't know who'd be trustable to do moderation without doing it personally.

It's also put me off posting, a bit. :| Having my threads reported and locked like that for absolutely no reason just seems a bit silly to me.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:57:06 pm by Deus ex Machina »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 06, 2011, 08:45:32 pm »

Did you pm Toady and explain the situation?
*Hugs*

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 06, 2011, 08:46:43 pm »

Did you pm Toady and explain the situation?

I have done.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 06, 2011, 08:48:44 pm »

You're coming down with the TTT, I see I see.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:09 pm »

That does sound kind of unreasona--

--wait, you started HOW MANY threads?  Geez.  Lay off the 'new topic' button there, buddy.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »

That does sound kind of unreasona--

--wait, you started HOW MANY threads?  Geez.  Lay off the 'new topic' button there, buddy.

They were about games and had plenty of discussion in. :p

Well, most of them did. No one is interested in Lead and Gold. =(

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 06, 2011, 08:52:27 pm »

It does sound like it was more the fault of the derailer. Although I will point out, as far as I know, Toady does read threads before locking them.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34