Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34333 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »

Yeah, Urist is dead tome's complaints sound to me like an American going on a British forum and complaining that they spell things funny.

And...I really don't get why someone would go to a place they consider a slum.  Okay, I'm not even saying "if you don't like it, leave" anymore.  But why insult the place that you keep going?

(Sorry, that typo in your name never stopped bugging me :|)

Now that I've set up my soap box it's time to watch the show.
You know, where I come from, "posting something controversial just to watch people dogpile on it" is the literal definition of trolling.

And...At this point it's probably about the right time for me to step out of this thread.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:03:38 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2011, 08:04:43 pm »

For this place to be a slum, it would have to reach /b/ levels of stuff. It would have to have ad-bot posts littering the front page, unlocked, totally going down in flames. A slum forum is one where I don't know if the thread I'm going to open has goat.se, 1900x1200 animated gifs, or blank posts.

People need to lay off the rhetoric, and quit treating the forum like it's their living room and everyone else is here by sufferance. The only people that have the right to act that way is Toady One and ThreeToe.

Likewise, I think I've overstated my point, so I'm out.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:07:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »

OK, several problems with my post.

One. I did not mean to be controversial. I really didn't.

Two. I hate myself for that typo. I really do.

And I guess just three more moderators would be enough.

Good point for the slum part... Good point... My ideal form of government would be cuttin' it pretty close to fascism so I guess most people shouldn't listen to me.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2011, 08:12:44 pm »

I'm with nenjin. I see very little problem with the forum at all.
I type the way I talk. And I don't say stuff like "mew" or "Auuu~". The latter of which I don't even understand. And while I'm on the subject of typing, I also hate it when people use crap like "OMG" or "rofl" or even the dreaded "LMFAO".
Not everyone is like you. I certainly wouldn't say we need to take action against people for textspeak.
But seriously the lower forums are a slum. I would say we need five moderators that know what to do.
Why do you think it's a slum? And why five moderators? Two now are keeping the entire forum under control. Five (seven total) is just overkill.
Three. Kurtulmak, though he doesn't have much to moderate now that his forum is locked.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2011, 08:14:02 pm »

I haven't noticed any problems with the forums, but since I tend to ignore parts of the forums that I don't really feel interested I probably miss whatever people are complaining about.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:07 pm »

G-Flex, I've got to be honest - It's not common I report posts, but yours came close, if only because the derail was persistant and successful. Its a thread about more moderation needed to help keep the forums in line and on topic and positively discussing things, and you seem dedicated to derailing it and making it about your own petty issues. Stop. No one is discussing removing forum games but you. It isn't what this thread is about. If you want to talk about your own personal vendetta, give it its own thread.

Back on topic, I'd support having a couple of mods, simply because it would make me more likely to report issues if I knew they weren't going right to Toady. and I'm probably not alone there. Although I've not really noticed any of the issues people have been complaining about.

These are my favorite forums on the Internet, and the general lack of moderation is, I think, a part of that. But I certainly think it would be possible for there to be a mod or two below Toady and Tarn to help with some of the more egregious problems should they come up without these boards losing anything.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:17:09 pm by GlyphGryph »

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2011, 08:16:36 pm »

My opinion is pointless, because I prefer to watch man children fighting and bedlam erupting from my comfy office chair than intelligent discussion, but I do like the looseness of general discussion. Like in a real discussion it goes off track and into drunken rambling until everyone gets bored and goes home.
Hello Hunam

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2011, 08:18:30 pm »

Three. Kurtulmak, though he doesn't have much to moderate now that his forum is locked.
I'm pretty sure that Kurtulmak is just Toady under a different name, if I was understanding the veteran users about it. Although, such a system as Urist is dead tome's would probably elevate Jonathan S. Fox to the same level as the other moderators, so we'd still have eight instead of seven anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:20 pm »

Fox seems more interested in LCS than actual moderation.
Hello Hunam

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:50 pm »

Why not just give Foxxy power in the other boards?

And if Kurtulmak doesn't exist make him exist and give him a moderator job.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2011, 08:21:00 pm »

G-Flex, I've got to be honest - It's not common I report posts, but yours came close, if only because the derail was persistant and successful. Its a thread about more moderation needed to help keep the forums in line and on topic and positively discussing things, and you seem dedicated to derailing it and making it about your own petty issues. Stop. No one is discussing removing forum games but you. It isn't what this thread is about. If you want to talk about your own personal vendetta, give it its own thread.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of these quotes today.

[...] if you have a problem with a post that's flaming/spamming a thread, click the report button instead of firing at people.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34112.msg513750#msg513750
Quote from: Toady One
Although, if you do find yourself getting tired and even just a little frustrated, please report instead of replying, and I'll take care of it, hopefully without causing a problem (not saying a problem was caused here).

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35546.msg682119#msg682119
Quote from: Toady One
If there's an issue with somebody, report it and then ignore future posts from that person.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »

Well the curses forum is hardly a hive of scum and villainy.
*Hugs*

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2011, 08:22:10 pm »

Why not just give Foxxy power in the other boards?

And if Kurtulmak doesn't exist make him exist and give him a moderator job.

Are you implying we make Kurtulmak some sort of Legacy moderator, passed down through the generations whenever he is needed to clean up the forums?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2011, 08:22:55 pm »

Okay, here's an idea. We can go to Toady with an idea for moderators, and see if he accepts. However, anyone who wants power is not suitable to have it. Therefore, I suggest a secret ballot. I don't plan on becoming a moderator, so how about this; people can PM me up to three members that they would trust as a moderator, and I'll tally up the votes and PM Toady with it. If we did this, joke votes would have to be thrown out. Escaped Lunatics do not good moderators make.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »

I'm not implying it. I say we make Kurtulmuk and make him into the Bay12 Batman!

No but for reals if we have more moderators Toady can spend more time on DF. Seriously people.

And I am taking Barbarossa's idea into practice!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:31:11 pm by Urist is dead tome »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34