Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34349 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:14 pm »

That sort of thing kills forums. I've yet to see one forum survive that degree of pruning.

You've yet to see one forum survive without a forum games/roleplaying section? You don't see too many forums, apparently.
I've seen axing roleplaing and general discussion-type subforums kill more than thirty forums. It's a terrible idea. The more focused a forum gets, the lower it's membership and activity drops.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2011, 07:04:52 pm »

That sort of thing kills forums. I've yet to see one forum survive that degree of pruning.

You've yet to see one forum survive without a forum games/roleplaying section? You don't see too many forums, apparently.
He means that a forum with an established and widely used section cannot have that section simply deleted without causing serious strife that will cause the forum to whither, and in this case that section is Forum Games & Roleplaying. What problem do you have with the section, anyway? It obviously isn't killing the forum, as the forum is still here even as FG&R continues to function.

NONEDIT: And Lord Shonus ninjas me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:25 pm »

I've seen axing roleplaing and general discussion-type subforums kill more than thirty forums. It's a terrible idea. The more focused a forum gets, the lower it's membership and activity drops.

I never suggest cutting General Discussion. I'm not sure who thinks that would be a good idea, but I certainly don't.

He means that a forum with an established and widely used section cannot have that section simply deleted without causing serious strife that will cause the forum to whither, and in this case that section is Forum Games & Roleplaying.

Eventually, it would be as if it were never there, for the most part. It's not like everybody's going to get up in arms about it and storm out, or like the forum has no turnover to begin with. If it could have survived without it in the past, it can survive without it in the future.

What problem do you have with the section, anyway? It obviously isn't killing the forum, as the forum is still here even as FG&R continues to function.

If you had read my post explaining that, or the posts re-explaining that, or even the OP of this thread, you would know.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2011, 07:08:02 pm »

If you had read my post explaining that, or the posts re-explaining that, or even the OP of this thread, you would know.
I know you think it attracts the wrong people and has nothing to do with DF, what I'm trying to understand is why you consider those people to be the wrong type or why somthing not dealing with DF is toxic to the forum's continued livelyhood.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2011, 07:08:44 pm »

I explained that too and refuse to reiterate myself even more.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2011, 07:19:20 pm »

I guess I don't have a good grasp on your explanation; I didn't really catch it myself, either.

I'm going to have to agree on that "killing off rp/game boards ruins forums" thing, though.  Hard to understand why, yeah, but forums are an elaborate ecosystem.  Going to be audacious and say what sounds like an insult but I'm sure everyone will understand isn't one at all:  If you go into an ecosystem and remove all the flies and similar decomposers because they're icky and disgusting and you don't want them around, then surprise surprise, your ecosystem is going to get screwed.  I, too, have seen a fair number of boards die because an 'unnecessary and unrelated' chunk of them gets pruned.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2011, 07:25:56 pm »

I think Toady is aware of that. I don't think he deludes himself into thinking that, while we're not posting, we're playing DF. Even if some people don't play it anymore, the community here, the forum games, the discussions, keep people connected to DF during development. The more people that are around when he announces a new version, the better his donations will be. I'm not saying he lets it go on for purely profit reasons....but he does enjoy benefits from letting all these people hang out on B12.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2011, 07:36:34 pm »

Seeing a lot of familiar posts here.  Same stuff that gets said a lot of times.

I used to be a proponent for getting in more moderators.  There used to be a lot of talk about it.  Now, after Tarn has stated his position multiple times, I've decided to just keep quiet about it.  If and/or when he feels it's time to put someone up for the spot, then that's his choice to make.  That's pretty much the clearest point I've gotten from his responses on the subject.

While I agree in spirit with several of the people mentioning the degradation of thread subjects/content, I have the most nagging feeling that some of my own additions (including the latest of my despairingly bloggish threads about my doing things in places.  I insist I had nothing but the fondest intentions when I started the habit) are included in the list of shameful exhibits.  As such, I feel a wee bit uncomfortable about voicing any direct support for the claims...  But in any case, I think it probably has more to do with the attitude of the posters than the content of the post ("If you don't like it don't look at it", while an admirably free-spirited belief, doesn't make very many friends).

I've just now (at 1:00 in the morning) gone through the whole thread, so you'll have to excuse me if I missed something vital.  The discussion about the 'Report to Moderator' button took me completely by surprise.  I'd only seen a couple of the (looking at it now, staggering large number of) comments from Tarn encouraging people to use it more, but I'd already gotten the impression that the sad lil' bugger was sadly neglected.  I've used it a good many times, both reactively and proactively.  I've even received personal responses to them from the Adams Family (someone had to say it), which would seem like another indication that they're not exactly in over their heads with reports.

I used to be an avid reader of pretty much every thread on the forum (this was back when we had an active members list in the low-to-mid double digits), but lately I barely creep outside of topics I've already posted in.  Partly this has to do with my not having or wanting anything to do with the majority of such threads, but quite a bit of it probably has to do with the sheer mass of stuff out there.

Personally, I find trying to determine what's good content and what's bad content is not only a treacherous road, but also one that's incredibly difficult to work out if you think about it.  I'll be passive-aggressive and mention the fact that there's a staggering number of posts and posters that I view absolutely no value in keeping around.  However, trying to find any kind of reasonable rule to classify them under and justify my feelings results in something hypocritical, paradoxical, or even totalitarian.

Much as I'd like to follow Tarn's wishes and let him handle it his own way, the fact that both the brothers have been growing increasingly more agitated by the chaos inside the boards is a clear sign that something isn't working. 

The Adams brothers maintain a truly heroic standard of self-sacrifice for the sake of a greater good.  They've proven time and again that they're willing to overlook or conform their own personal wishes so that the community as a whole will feel greater freedom and security.  This means letting someone they find personally undesirable free reign to act naturally if the community accepts them and wants to hang on to them.

This has the rather unfortunate side effect of eventually, through shee force of mass and probability, building up a population of "protected" grains of sand that build up into a really quite unfortunate irritant for the brothers (and whatever other minority doesn't care for them either).

This is actually a rather quite complicated problem.  I really don't think it's possible to find any right or wrong basis for a community, outside of the obvious ground rule of "don't pick fights".  All the talk of "cleaning up" (a cathartic experience I myself have engaged in and instigated many times) is just one person's opinion against another's.  And it's a remarkably difficult balancing act to try and maintain neutrality while setting rules and regulations that you agree with and that get the desired results.

Throw in the fact that perhaps, just maybe, the people who play the nicest don't pay the nicest.  As has been said, this is Tarn's livelihood all wrapped up in one snug little package.  On the one hand, he doesn't want Bay12 to give off a bad image and alienate potential new members (either through over-strict and arbitrary lawkeeping, or through unappealing content).  On the other hand, he doesn't want to alienate the members that are already here (from the same causes).  Throw in a hidden hand of not wanting to alienate himself or his brother, and suddenly you're dealing with a scenario that really can't figure out where the heck it wants to go.

I could probably yak on about this until the sun comes up, but it will just end up being more of the same.  I think there's a problem, I'm clueless as far as fixing the problem is concerned, and I'm projecting my feelings onto Tarn and Zach Adams.  Really all I can do is wish them the best and hope they work something out to my mutual benefit.

Oh, yeah, and read my blogs.  I'm really just that interesting.

NOTE: Warning - while you were typing 10 new replies have been posted.

God damn you people, it's the middle of the night in some parts of the world!  What are you doing up at this time?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:20 pm »

Same here, but I do not sleep liek at all (2AM wewt).

Of course it's their call, but what I'm here to do is to voice my opinion/suggestion.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »

The MSPA forums have a Ban Log topic that administrators post in when someone is banned, detailing how long and why.

Despite being around for less than a month two months, it alread has 14,145 views.

I think that having something as simple as that would go a long way towards solving the problems here, at least once a handful of users have been publicly (temp)banned for their behaviour. It would clearly and publicly state there there is, in fact, a "too far" and that going there can have drastic consequences.
Eh?
Eh!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2011, 07:49:01 pm »

I am loathe to use a metaphor /b/ got to first, but well, here goes. Stop thinking about what has the potential to kill the community. It is dying now already. GD has cancer, and while chemo may be risky and scary, it is the only option that has any chance of not dying. We may not agree on what the chemo is, but can we all agree that there needs to be something? We can't just give the cancer cells more options to stop being cancer. That won't work, ever. Amputation and such have a chance of not working, but we won't get a different result until we change the equation.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2011, 07:52:25 pm »

Uh, that's a problem when you disagree about what the "cancer" is, or whether there is one at all.

HE'S GOT A MOLE ON HIS ARM, LLLLLOP IT OFF
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »

Seriously. All this high-minded judgment of the forum content has me scratching my head too. What exactly means the forum is dying? Because it's got content you don't like? Because it's got poseurs who want in on the fun but haven't asked permission, or been here enough months to justify their presence? I get annoyed by that, but it's not "the death of the forum."

I've been here a full year now, and honestly, I don't see much difference between now and then, except more new faces. Yes, that's years less than some people. But what exactly determines whether or not GD is even alive?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »

The lower forums are going to hell in a hand basket. And I think we need to draft us some moderators and clean up the place.

I type the way I talk. And I don't say stuff like "mew" or "Auuu~". The latter of which I don't even understand. And while I'm on the subject of typing, I also hate it when people use crap like "OMG" or "rofl" or even the dreaded "LMFAO".

But seriously the lower forums are a slum. I would say we need five moderators that know what to do.

Now that I've set up my soap box it's time to watch the show.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:57:43 pm by Urist is dead tome »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:30 pm »

I'm with nenjin. I see very little problem with the forum at all.
I type the way I talk. And I don't say stuff like "mew" or "Auuu~". The latter of which I don't even understand. And while I'm on the subject of typing, I also hate it when people use crap like "OMG" or "rofl" or even the dreaded "LMFAO".
Not everyone is like you. I certainly wouldn't say we need to take action against people for textspeak.
But seriously the lower forums are a slum. I would say we need five moderators that know what to do.
Why do you think it's a slum? And why five moderators? Two now are keeping the entire forum under control. Five (seven total) is just overkill.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34