Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34444 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

If people do that (just delete anything that does not agree with them), people will ignore the thread and it will die.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:08 pm »

If people do that (just delete anything that does not agree with them), people will ignore the thread and it will die.

By making everyone a tyrant it will allow no one to be one.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:57 pm »

No, they won't, because other people might side with the thread creator, and it's hard to even notice if the thread owner is deleting crap unless you see it happening or it's yours. This is an extremely bad idea and I'm honestly surprised that anyone is supporting it. Sometimes people get ganged up on in threads, and that sort of thing, and you can't expect the general public to have some sort of collective-consciousness Jerk Alarm go off in their heads every time the OP does something bad.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2011, 04:08:51 pm »

By making everyone a tyrant it will allow no one to be one.
No, it will allow everyone to hate everyone else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »

Would YOU discuss in a thread that had dozens and dozens of -this post has been deleted by thread moderator- posts?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2011, 04:12:34 pm »

No, I wouldn't, but some people would, especially if the person whose threads were deleted were disliked by others involved.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »

And of course. The offended party would then carry on this behaivour in their own threads, it would basically lead to cliques of users who don't delete each others posts being formed.
Although... I could just be overthinking it.
*Hugs*

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »

I think we need a way to control mods and to limit the unintended damage they might do (a trail of "this post has been deleted things):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damocles

"The value of the sword is not that it falls, but rather, that it hangs [over your head]."

The threat of being mod smacked gets to some people. If that doesn't work, maybe just have a system where after you get reported X number of times you get Toady's attention. Then you have to explain (damn convincingly) why he should look the other way. From there things won't be good for you and the sword falls.... Fear of it falling until then provides an incentive.

Abuse of the system is still a valid issue. The abuse is both from potential mods and from banned people just making new (clean) profiles. I'm afraid I have no answer
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2011, 04:29:17 pm »

The discussion has moved past it a bit, but I just wanted to post with irritation regarding the "General Discussion is just a waste of money" bit.

Donations come from the community.  This board supports the community.  Determining whether GD builds community more than it hurts it is not trivial or necessarily obvious.  Personally, I think it builds community more.  Now, I would be on these forums regardless of whether GD was present or not...I spend most of my time in the middle forums.  But I spend no time in the upper forums at all, I barely play DF itself.  If the middle AND lower forums were removed, I just wouldn't stick around the forums = I wouldn't notice the donation drives = I wouldn't donate (and I do donate).

I think it's a valid to be concerned that what happens to GD will impact the community and impact donations.  If third-party moderators or outright subforum deletion scare people off without boosting the rest of the community, donations go down.  On the other hand, if the lower forums are actively keeping people out of the community for God knows what reason, I guess moderating it more heavily or nuking GD will make donations go up.  Care is required.  You can't just assume "killing the lower forums will reduce bandwidth expenses and be a guaranteed net financial gain".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »

The discussion has moved past it a bit, but I just wanted to post with irritation regarding the "General Discussion is just a waste of money" bit.

Donations come from the community.  This board supports the community.  Determining whether GD builds community more than it hurts it is not trivial or necessarily obvious.  Personally, I think it builds community more.  Now, I would be on these forums regardless of whether GD was present or not...I spend most of my time in the middle forums.  But I spend no time in the upper forums at all, I barely play DF itself.  If the middle AND lower forums were removed, I just wouldn't stick around the forums = I wouldn't notice the donation drives = I wouldn't donate (and I do donate).

I think it's a valid to be concerned that what happens to GD will impact the community and impact donations.  If third-party moderators or outright subforum deletion scare people off without boosting the rest of the community, donations go down.  On the other hand, if the lower forums are actively keeping people out of the community for God knows what reason, I guess moderating it more heavily or nuking GD will make donations go up.  Care is required.  You can't just assume "killing the lower forums will reduce bandwidth expenses and be a guaranteed net financial gain".

Point well taken.

I hope my posts weren't taken as this. I advocate a scalpel to cut out rather than a hatchet to hack off. I believe there are good things to the lower forms, but I also believe that there are certainly bad things in them as well. There are certain parts of the lower forms I value greatly. There are others that frankly... well even Toady says those are becoming a problem for him.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2011, 04:43:35 pm »

We can discuss this into oblivion, or we could do interesting post on this very board.

Seriously, a good thing about this debate is that we know that pointless posting is becoming a problem, and that we will avoid them.
With a bit of luck, and maybe a sticky, it may solve he matter.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2011, 04:48:30 pm »

Point well taken.

I hope my posts weren't taken as this. I advocate a scalpel to cut out rather than a hatchet to hack off. I believe there are good things to the lower forms, but I also believe that there are certainly bad things in them as well. There are certain parts of the lower forms I value greatly. There are others that frankly... well even Toady says those are becoming a problem for him.
Oh, yeah.  Agreed.

It's certainly positive at least that every single person posting in here is vastly appreciative of the effort and generocity of the Adams brothers, and acknowledges that we're all here basically by their good graces.  I mean, it's an obvious thing and it would be horrifying if people weren't like that, but we don't seem to have anyone (in this thread at least) who feels different.  And we do have a pretty wide spectrum of folks from the lower forums in this thread, including people who don't get along.  Ultimately we're on the same side, and it's cool that things haven't gotten all that heated or anything.

Which is part of why I love this forum so much.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2011, 05:21:54 pm »

The only annoyance I really have is the rash of: "Just registered, must make 15 threads for people to post daily in so I can become recognized" threads. I'm guilty of starting 1 or 2 myself....but man, at least I spent some times in the upper forums before I stampeded down here to the lower ones to create a thread on anything and everything.

But that's a pretty minor annoyance. I still believe in the theory of self-control.

My general experience with forums of this size is, if you don't have rules in place to say that picture and joke threads aren't ok, you have no basis to moderate other than personal preference. Toady seems fine with that. I think his warning is more for our benefit than for his. He'll just ban and close threads if he needs to. He's trying to give us a heads up so people at least saw it coming.

Because honestly....every moderator I have ever known just wants peace. Doesn't care what the peace looks like, they just want it. And they'll ban/mute/nuke until they get it.

One thing I've learned that has helped me not get irritated at various personalities around here.....you don't need to read every thread. If you find yourself getting snappy and pissed off at every conversation thread, the problem may not be the thread at all...but a person's inability to deal with it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:23:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »

If a section is removed, posts that would have gone there will be posted elsewhere where they are even less relevant and more disruptive to that particular section's goals.

On the other hand, providing a section for those sorts of posts will encourage them, making them more common, at the same time as keeping most of them out of the way of the rest of the forum.

For example, if the forum games sections were removed, then DF-related games would become plentiful in DF general discussion, potentially drowning out the other ctopics, and the rest would tend to fall in community projects and Finally...'s general discussion. Removing the section will not just make all of them disappear.

Consider this: One section was split because half of the front page topics were different (I think it was either forum games splitting off from VN, or RTDs splitting off from forum games, or perhaps both), but in both cases it greatly reduced the clutter at the time.

Actually, I think it was FG&R (or perhaps all of the new sections?) splitting out of VN, leading to greater concentrations of nonsense that lead to the downward spiral that got that place locked. However, once VN was locked and hidden, it has been slowly creeping back in, mainly into GD. This is obviously not a good thing.

Perhaps it could be solved by splittig GD into GD and a sub-section of GD intended specifically for the less serious discussion, but it could also be solved by peroperly educating the offending users on why their comments are disruptive to the threads they are posting in, and how they should keep such comments to more appropriate locations, like more suitable topics, or for the worse ones, other forums entirely.

Finally, making it public knowledge of when/why a user is banned would allow others to learn from their mistakes, and hopefully teach them to think about what they are posting more often.
Eh?
Eh!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2011, 05:45:41 pm »

Well. Regarding bans. Toady could create a graveyard thread, in which only he and ThreeToe can post, and put ban and mute notices there. An example of this is the Abandonia forum.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34