Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34387 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Regarding the state of the forums.
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:21 am »

I’ve been wanting to make this post for a long time, but haven’t had the opportunity. In light of Toady’s comments earlier this morning, now seems the most appropriate time.

This is becoming a problem for me.  Giant images and one-word posts have a way of irritating a large segment of the people here and are on the road to the total degeneracy that lead to the creation of the different boards in the first place.  If something made you happy/sad today, you should talk about that.  I've said this before, in these threads, and if you guys continue to ignore my attempts to keep this place in some kind of working order, I'm going to have to shut them down.

I would like to draw attention to the phrases ‘This is becoming a problem for me’ and ‘if you guys continue to ignore my attempts to keep this place in some kind of working order.’ While I have only been down in the lower forums since May-ish, I’ve noticed a number of problems which I find as being more than a bit atypical for a large forum to have. Moreover, when anyone attempts to call attention to these problems they are ignored either passively or actively, with such problems not being properly addressed at all. The keen observer will have noticed that in the last little while there have been less warnings and mutings in favour of straight bans, and much more sudden thread deletions over lockings or ‘get your act together’ posts. Both this trend and Toady’s above quote indicate a growing frustration with the lower forums’ behaviour that parallel that of myself and others.

These are the problems I’ve identified:

The forums are too large for two people to moderate alone.

While they were already a little big for two people before DF v0.31, since April the forums have ballooned. The management has remained the same number. Even if the Adams brothers were actively following along with various threads, they would still be missing a substantial amount of what was going on. As such, they act passively, checking up on posts and threads that have been reported alone. A number of moderators (at the least, even just one) in charge of the lower forums, comprised of people who already read the lower forums, would be able to really keep an eye on things proactively rather than reactively.

The ‘report’ button cannot be the only tool a moderator uses.

The report button is supposed to be used to notify a moderator when a person is posting something inappropriate, or harassing you or someone else, or generally out of line. However on these forums there is no active moderation, with attention only being brought to a thread via the report button. This means that if people are derailing a thread, or posting nonsense, or responding with only images, or threads don’t have a point, you either have to use the Somebody Is Way Out Of Line button or just accept it silently. The report button also has the feeling of a Snitch Button – if you use it you may feel like you’re just silently calling people out. This as well discourages people from using it. I’ve seen forumites, even active long-timers, say they don’t bother with the button at all. It is simply not something that people want to use – and at the same time is the only venue they can use.

At the same time, and especially recently, a post being reported seems to result in threads getting deleted when a simple lock or a few deleted posts would suffice, or the poster getting banned without regard to the context of the report. It appears to me that Toady and Threetoe are now so frustrated with the lower forums’ behaviour that they simply wish to deal with things as quickly as possible, which results in anything getting reported and thus brought to their attention receiving the highest level of punishment.

The forums are not capable of adequately moderating themselves.

I’ve heard the explanation ‘Well, when we get out of line, we can keep each other in check’ a few times now, and I don’t believe it. On a small scale, yes, this is possible. On a large scale it is not. I’ll take the Happy/Sad threads as examples again, since they’re the threads most indicative of the behaviour of the rest of the forums.

If you recall the uproar a month or two ago over the sudden breakout of terms like “mew,” “auuuuu,” and the excessive use of tildes, you may remember that after it was brought to the thread’s attention by Toady that it was annoying a lot of people and getting out of line, the offenders responded that they were incredibly surprised and had no idea anyone was put off. At the same time, a lot of people came out and said that actually, yeah, they found it very irritating. So why didn’t anyone say anything about it?

Well, a few people (inc. myself) did. And were completely ignored. I didn’t want to PM anyone because that would be confrontational, nor did such a thing qualify as report-worthy. So it went on for a while (and hell, there’s still a ridiculous “Auu~!” that I find grating in the thread title) until somebody finally did use the report button.

This is just one example, but it does illustrate the point I’m making, which is that if your attempts to ‘self-moderate’ are ignored, there is no other avenue to take than to use the report button, which has the problems listed above.

No guidelines / weak ruleset.

My critique of this is not of rules like “don’t pick fights,” “don’t spam,” and “don’t link inappropriate material.” It is that there is not really any sort of behavioural code listed. Is it okay to post nothing but a single image in a post? Well, if it doesn’t count as ‘disruptive.’ Is it fine to fill pages of a thread with all caps random nonsense? Sure, if it isn’t ‘intentionally garbled.’ Guidelines would actually tell people how they should behave, and what’s acceptable, etcetera.

There is also no process of appeals for bans, mutings, whatever. You could send a PM (if you’re not banned), but the odds of getting a response are very slim, especially with consideration to the fact that Toady gets enough PMs about DF already. So if you feel that you have been muted or banned unfairly, what can you do? Well… nothing. At all. Hypothetically you could send Toady an email, but getting a response to this is unlikely as well. To use another example: Dasleah was banned a month or two ago, which himself, myself, and others found unfair. Dasleah emailed Toady about it. As of a week ago, he’d still gotten nothing back, and it’s unlikely he will. Regardless of whether you think that his ban was fair or unfair, there remains no way to appeal the moderators’ judgement.

As an example of a better system, here’s a link to the ruleset the Gamespy forums use ( http://forums.gamespy.com/UserPages/Terms.aspx ). That page lists what content and actions are explicitly not permitted, what a user can do in the forums, guidelines on how to behave, how moderators operate, and what to do about bans. Our forum guidelines (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=38442.0 ) only have the list of explicit actions.

A lack of transparency.

This is just a short point, but I’d really like some sort of stickied thread where Toady explains who has been banned/muted, or what’s been deleted. Threads have been disappearing all over lately, and only sometimes is there a post explaining why someone has been banned. It’d be nice to know when it happens.

So what are you getting at?

Here’s my proposed solution:

First, get a few moderators. The upper forums are a different matter, but the lower forums really need a few – I’d say three would be a good number, for balance. It takes the weight of Toady and Threetoe’s back, allows for problems and disagreements be proactively fixed before they devolve into unsalvageable derails, and lets the community contact mods without having to use the dreaded Button Which Should Not Be Named. I would suggest three forumites who have been with the forums long enough to know the zeitgeist of the community and are known themselves, and who are also helpful, active, and responsible enough to be unbiased.

Secondly, an expanded ruleset would address the problems of no behavioural guidelines and no process of appeals. That alone would be a huge improvement.

Follow-up:

I of course do not mean to insist that the problems I myself have noticed are all exactly the issue or are necessarily even problems alone. It’s just one perspective. But I don’t feel I’m alone in not enjoying the direction the forums are taking. I’d like to see what the rest of you think, whether you agree or not, and where the differences in opinion stem. At the very least I’d like something to actually come of this, so I will likely be self-reporting this post in a day or so just to get Toady’s attention once some good discussion has gotten going to see what he thinks. I really would like something to actually change as a result of this. I don’t think that the forums can continue to ‘work’ without some sort of change being made, and now seems as good a time as any.

I’d also like to clarify that I don’t have any issue with Toady and Threetoe themselves. I think they’re doing as good a job as they can on their own, and I understand and sympathize with their growing irritation. Nevertheless, I don’t believe that the current moderation process is enough for the forums.

As a final note, all opinions are of course welcome, but please don’t simply reply with “If you don’t like it, then leave.” It is the least helpful and least useful thing that can be said. Ignoring a problem fixes nothing.

e- quick grammar fix. my -> may.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:37:02 pm by Retro »

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:31:09 am »

I don't see any trouble with the forums.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:32 am »

Neither do I. I was going to post 'This', but one word posts are bad.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:35:41 am »

I totally agree with this! Certainly, the topics with Auuuuu~ in them are delightful, and the long list of pointless and vague topics, resembling little more than rambling stream of consciousness, is what keeps me coming back day after day.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:37:27 am »

I don't use any forums apart from the modding one (and the MSPA thread), mostly because they remind me of the MSN Groups site in the late 90s.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:37:48 am »

Choosing any moderator that I can think of who would want the job would completely and utterly change the lower forums to the point where they were no longer recognizable.  It would squish them, and no more fun would be had, by anyone, ever.

Can anyone claim to know a good choice of moderator?  (DO NOT SAY WHO.  THIS IS NOT THE TIME OR PLACE.  SIDES ARE NOT BEING CHOSEN.)  Personally, I can't think of anyone that I would trust to wield the hammer, because uh...everyone who seems to think these forums need some moderation, I feel would probably go around banning like a third of the people I like on the spot, or at least locking all the threads I like to read.  Maybe I'm just biased towards whatever's wrong with these forums.  And yes, things go too far (some people in my pony thread for example).  But I do not trust any user-mod not to push them too far in the other direction.

I totally agree with this! Certainly, the topics with Auuuuu~ in them are delightful, and the long list of pointless and vague topics, resembling little more than rambling stream of consciousness, is what keeps me coming back day after day.

Is that sarcasm?  Because some of that is true for me.  I adore the Auuu~, and I like having a few threads that are pretty wide-open and laid back for shooting the breeze with mah peeps.  It's good for hanging out and getting to know people even when you don't have anything to say in Other Games or DF or whatever.  It builds a lasting community.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:40:41 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:23 am »

I find these forums a much nicer place to be, mostly (I think) due to the happy and sad threads. On most big forums, it's hard to get to know your fellow forumites without external contact, but here the happy and sad threads let you get to know people. It makes the place much friendlier.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:45:17 am »

Agree with above posters. Not sure what all the drama is about. If this were going on in the upper forums, where people have an actual agenda of trying to communicate about a specific topic, I could understand.

But down here -- seriously, WTF? If a thread seems inane, ignore it. If it's one of the happy/sad ones, wait a few hours and whatever was irritating you will probably have scrolled off into history. If you can't handle either of those options, and are getting bent out of shape about people posting silly things...well, maybe the problem isn't the forums.

You're talking about imposing rigid structure on something that is inherently loose. The day that I have to follow strict guidelines about what I can and cannot choose to discuss in IDLE CONVERSATION will be the day I start hunting for a new online hangout. Sorry.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:43 am »

Is that sarcasm?  Because some of that is true for me.  I adore the Auuu~, and I like having a few threads that are pretty wide-open and laid back for shooting the breeze with mah peeps.  It's good for hanging out and getting to know people even when you don't have anything to say in Other Games or DF or whatever.  It builds a lasting community.

Then make a community IRC channel or use Steam chat or get on Skype or whatever. 5 years from now do you really think you're going to want all this stuff you posted still publicly available on the internet? I mean, I'm embarrassed by some of the things I posted a year, year and a half ago let alone the older stuff. Using a permanent medium like a forum for your inane stream-of-consciousness rambling not only reflects badly on the rest of us who are just here to talk about a silly little spaceman game ASCII fortress-building sim, it's a poor life decision.

Quote from: RedKing
You're talking about imposing rigid structure on something that is inherently loose. The day that I have to follow strict guidelines about what I can and cannot choose to discuss in IDLE CONVERSATION will be the day I start hunting for a new online hangout. Sorry.

oh no losing members this forum will never be able to cope whatever will we do please come here and i will kiss your ass until you feel better just don't leave!!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:49:30 am by Makrond »
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:39 am »

The day that I have to follow strict guidelines about what I can and cannot choose to discuss in IDLE CONVERSATION will be the day I start hunting for a new online hangout.
Hate to say it, but this. And this is the best place I've ever found on the net, by a long way.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:48 am »

Yes, Sowelu, it was sarcasm.

As I see it, Various Nonsense was deleted, but the content just drifted into GD. It used to be that General discussion was in fact a place where discussion was actually held. Now it seems saturated in memes, stream of conscious, blogposts, and all other kinds of random crap.

It is the new Various Nonsense. And in line with your view that anybody who seems to think that the forums need moderation banning and shutting down a third of the threads, I suspect that's because you know that this should be happening.

Makrond is quite correct, forums are not the place for that kind of highly transient content.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:45 am »

Using a permanent medium like a forum for your inane stream-of-consciousness rambling not only reflects badly on the rest of us who are just here to talk about a silly little spaceman game ASCII fortress-building sim, it's a poor life decision.

Not to be a dick, but again: discussion about a ASCII fortress-building sim goes in the upper forums (the ones with "DF" in front of them). It's a bit like making a smoking section to seperate smokers from people they might annoy, then bitching when they smoke in the smoking section on the grounds that you personally think smoking is bad.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:52:43 am »

Using a permanent medium like a forum for your inane stream-of-consciousness rambling not only reflects badly on the rest of us who are just here to talk about a silly little spaceman game ASCII fortress-building sim, it's a poor life decision.

Not to be a dick, but again: discussion about a ASCII fortress-building sim goes in the upper forums (the ones with "DF" in front of them). It's a bit like making a smoking section to seperate smokers from people they might annoy, then bitching when they smoke in the smoking section on the grounds that smoking is bad.

We used to have a section called Various Nonsense that got out of hand. It was what GD is approaching.
As I see it, Toady's frustration, which is justified, will likely result in the removal of forums extraneous to DF, since he simply won't have the time or inclination to deal with the hassle it presents.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:54:08 am »

The faux cuteness thing annoys me as much as anyone, but I don't see why it should lead to banning.

On this Various Nonsense thing: Why not reopen that forum, then?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 07:54:47 am »

Yeah, this basically sums up what I've been feeling more and more as I browse this forum in my off time. There's just too many posts for Toady and ThreeToe to possibly read them all, especially considering Toady spends a couple of hours a day on it at most, and I'm assuming ThreeToe doesn't have much more than that himself. Just to touch on a couple of the other points individually:

Quote from: Retro
The forums are not capable of adequately moderating themselves.

This is just basic common sense. Of course you're going to be bad at policing your own behaviour, that's the way people work. I'm not going to claim I'm a great judge of my own character either, nor of those I would consider to be friends. There's a reason most organisations have an internal section where the purpose is to judge the rest of the company/department/etc.

No guidelines / weak ruleset.

Agreed 100%. This forum has the weakest ruleset of any forum I've ever been at, in terms of both telling the members of the forum what is expected of them behaviour wise, and providing moderators with a firm set of guidelines to point to when someone is stepping out of line. On a smaller forum where the moderators know everyone and are a highly visible presence taking part in discussions and just basically being seen hanging around, moderation can be more relaxed. A set of vague rules is perfectly fine, because it's a far more informal affair, and the posters take it a lot more to heart when it comes to them like that.

But that's not the DF forums anymore. Toady barely has any time to post at all anymore, after dealing with mod duties, emails, PMs, reading the suggestion forum, etc etc. The DF forums have become a really big entity, and a relaxed ruleset just does not work when you have that many people pushing the limits.

A lack of transparency.

This one really gets to me, because it's counterproductive. Something like today, where Toady makes a post in a thread explaining what people are doing wrong and saying 'stop it, seriously' is far more effective at keeping the forums in order than posts just disappearing into thin air. If the thread just disappears, nobody knows what anyone did wrong or how they avoid doing it themselves in the future. I hate to link it to the rather macabre imagery, but making an example of someone is really effective in a forum format, and it also keeps all the posts of people who /were/ following the rules intact. It's win-win for everyone.

So what are you getting at?

I agree with the points here about getting moderators, and would like to add something to it as well - getting more moderators on a forum basis would also solve some of the problems with the appeals process. At the moment, if you get banned or your thread gets deleted, there's nobody higher that you can go to for some kind of appeal. I mean, you're already at the top level, and they're sick of your shit already or you wouldn't need to appeal. Having the extra layer of appointed moderators in between means that Toady and ThreeToe can serve more as admins for the lower forums, as in being the final decision on what's going on rather than having to be stuck in the front lines. Again, it's a win for them not having to have anything near as much to do with what is clearly already becoming a frustrating daily routine, and it's a win for the appealee.

As for the follow up, I don't think anyone has a problem with Toady or ThreeToe. I certainly think they're doing a massive job all by themselves, and I'm quite honestly unsure how they manage it as well as they do. All we're saying is, maybe it could be better for everyone involved? It's worth discussing, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34