Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34338 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #480 on: January 08, 2011, 07:43:53 pm »

your bloody purges of the ill-defined "undesirables"

I get that this is hyperbole, but that's really putting words into his mouth, and is more telling of your own point of view coming into this discussion than his.
He argued in favor, specifically, of deleting an entire forum, because he didn't much like it and it allegedly attracted "people we don't want here," and the rest of what he's saying implies he wants that done on a larger scale than even that, all to get rid of "those people we don't want." So yeah, even if "bloody" is hyperbole, "purges" sure as hell isn't.

You accuse G-Flex of not making a coherent argument, but you haven't made any argument at all.
The person proposing an outrageous theory is the one on whom the burden of proof lies.

Bringing this forum more into line with nearly every other forum on the internet is hardly radical, nor is it ill-conceived.
So you want to bring this forum, a bastion of the absence of the very things you are decrying, in line with those that are notably festering dens of it? ::)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 08, 2011, 07:49:46 pm »

Bringing this forum more into line with nearly every other forum on the internet is hardly radical, nor is it ill-conceived.
Would you mind providing a few examples?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 08, 2011, 07:51:22 pm »

I'm sorry Sir Pseudonymous, but if you're going to keep radically misinterpreting everyone's arguments and refusing to listen to their rebuttals, I don't think anyone's going to want to debate with you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2011, 07:57:22 pm »

because he didn't much like it

I never said that.

"people we don't want here,"

You're misrepresenting me here, and I never said that either. If you're going to use quotation marks, make sure the person actually said that thing.

and the rest of what he's saying implies he wants that done on a larger scale than even that, all to get rid of "those people we don't want." So yeah, even if "bloody" is hyperbole, "purges" sure as hell isn't.

I'm not sure what you even mean here. Again, you're making up quotes, and I never suggested deleting other subforums or banning individual users.

I know I said I wouldn't take the bait, but when you literally start fabricating quotes and saying that I've said things I haven't actually said, I feel the need to respond, if only for the sake of anybody else who might get the wrong idea.

I still don't see why people think it would totally destroy these forums to remove a single subforum. It's happened before to this forum, and we were (and are) better off for it. Whether it's necessary or not, or would be helpful or not, is obviously a separate question, but it's not like it's a horrible thing on principle. I also don't understand why people are so stuck on that one thing (removing RG&RP) when there are so many other things to talk about here.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 08, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »

"people we don't want here,"
You're misrepresenting me here, and I never said that either. If you're going to use quotation marks, make sure the person actually said that thing.
Something doesn't even have to be reportable in order to cause problems for other parts of the forums, and I've explained why threads/subforums can affect others: They attract certain people and engender certain types of atmosphere, behavior, discussion, and so forth.
I'd like an explanation as to how "A certain kind of person we don't want here" does not follow from this.

I still don't see why people think it would totally destroy these forums to remove a single subforum. It's happened before to this forum, and we were (and are) better off for it. Whether it's necessary or not, or would be helpful or not, is obviously a separate question, but it's not like it's a horrible thing on principle. I also don't understand why people are so stuck on that one thing (removing RG&RP) when there are so many other things to talk about here.
Partly because a significant number of people use it, and because a significant number of people use ONLY it.  And partly because I can't see what's wrong with it at all.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 08, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »

I'm sorry Sir Pseudonymous, but if you're going to keep radically misinterpreting everyone's arguments and refusing to listen to their rebuttals, I don't think anyone's going to want to debate with you.
Whether or not you want argue the "misinterpreting" part, "G-Flex" is not everyone, and in fact only a very small subset of persons present, being a single individual and all that. He hasn't exactly made a rebuttal, either, only reiterated what he's already argued as though that were evidence of why he's right.

Were I quoting you verbatim, I'd use quote tags. When summarizing, the summary has to be differentiated from commentary somehow, and quotation marks are the only reasonable solution to that.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #486 on: January 08, 2011, 08:08:27 pm »

As far as I can tell (I wasn't around for it), VN was basically the general offtopic board before, correct? So it wasn't really removed, it was basically split into the current offtopic forums.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 08, 2011, 08:10:56 pm »

Actually, all of the current forums and subforums, except for Play with Your Buddies and Mafia, existed at the time. VN was never split, but rather shut down and deleted, and what you see is the stuff that survived because VN did not permeate entirely.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #488 on: January 08, 2011, 08:17:41 pm »

I know I've said things like this before, but I'd appreciate it if people would actually address my points (and in ways that I haven't already responded to a dozen times over), instead of picking at really incidental points or engaging in bizarre character attacks.
@G-Flex, I'd just like to say that I understand your point on forum games & roleplaying: It has little to nothing to do with DF. However, the Bay12Forums is more of a community than just a development forum. The boards that don't seem to have any connection to DF supplement the community itself, because a good portion of the community enjoys forum games & roleplaying. Sure, they could go off-site, but that detracts from the purpose of having the close-knit community. If those boards were deleting, locked up, etc., then there would be a lot less activity. Maybe that's what you want, but a large point you try to make is that it's Toady's community. Remember that Toady made those boards to supplement the community spawning around his game. It also doesn't hurt that the community itself gets a lot of attention. It draws people in, and you may not like those people, but there's always a chance it could end up with a donation to Toady.

Does that work? I never saw you reply to it so I assume you skipped it.

The thing is that it's not just specific in-jokes, it's behavior and attitudes. There seems to be this strange divide in GD between actual discussion (serious or not) and the twitterspam/circlejerk stuff, for instance. I think a lot of this divide comes not from different individual inside jokes or anything like that, but from different standards of behavior and different interests in general.

You mean things like "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!", "i herd u liek mudkipz", "YOUR DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!" and spin-offs? If so, I think a lot of that does have to do with an entirely different internet culture. Personally I find them funny, when applicable, but to people who've never been exposed to it (Especially those not exposed to Japanese anime in which a lot of this is leeched off of) I'm certain it must feel awkward or even annoying. That said, I'm not sure there's much anyone can do about it unless we go with the board segregation. Sure, it'll promote silly behavior because it'll seem like "Be silly here!", but that'd almost have to be the point of it since you'd have to try to contain a literal internet culture and not just a small group of people.

He argued in favor, specifically, of deleting an entire forum, because he didn't much like it and it allegedly attracted "people we don't want here," and the rest of what he's saying implies he wants that done on a larger scale than even that, all to get rid of "those people we don't want." So yeah, even if "bloody" is hyperbole, "purges" sure as hell isn't.

Actually, he didn't. He argued in favor of deleting Forum Games & Roleplaying because the concept just didn't seem to make sense in regards to it being on DF, and it was a point he laid out pretty well. The other discussion he had was that he didn't like certain behavior on the lower forums. You're meshing the two together.

But your attitude on the matter is still offensive, and when I say this I am talking to both you and everyone who's agreed with you on this.

When asked for any evidence or a more coherent argument as to why, in fact, people should believe what you're saying, you simply repeat yourself and act as though it's self evident. Considering you're arguing in favor of radical and ill-conceived changes, you really need more than "because I totally think this."

Everyone who agrees with him is offensive to you? Really?

Maybe he keeps reiterating it because all you're doing is antagonizing him and everyone else who doesn't agree with you. He's made his points a while back, with the reasoning that you never argued against. Try arguing against his points instead of antagonizing him directly, utilizing words you put into his mouth and assumed undertones in order to justify it.

That being said, I'd suggest you just stop Sir Pseudonymous. Your behavior is getting out of hand and has at multiple junctions derailed the thread. There are plenty of people arguing what I perceive your stance should be (Against mods/silliness should be perfectly fine/etc.) that aren't going to lengths to attack G-Flex.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #489 on: January 08, 2011, 08:21:19 pm »

Actually, all of the current forums and subforums, except for Play with Your Buddies and Mafia, existed at the time. VN was never split, but rather shut down and deleted, and what you see is the stuff that survived because VN did not permeate entirely.
Huh, I thought that VN was removed and then GD, FG&RP, and maybe some others were made. I was never around for all that though.

By the way, G-Flex, the difference between removing VN, as I understand it, and removing any other forum is that each of the current subforums has a very specific purpose that is not fulfilled by any other subforum. By removing any of them, you're either going to lose a lot of people, or all of it's going to move into another subforum.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 08, 2011, 08:23:10 pm »

Before i begin my discussion- G-Flex, you're spiteful and self-righteous, and I dislike your constant disapproval of everything which offends your senses, and that post was simply painting you as Armok- unable to rebut their point, yet unable to admit defeat, you instead seek to demean others, and place yourself as a 'higher level', by saying that our willingness to pursue our own opinions other than yours makes us immature.
Edit: That was in response to:
I know, on a rational level, that he's not going to enact your bloody purges of the ill-defined "undesirables" that are totally not just anyone you don't happen to like

If you're going to continue to talk like this, then I have no reason to assume that you're interested in discussing this rationally at all, and have no reason to respond to anything you're saying, as there simply isn't a point, especially since I've explained myself quite well in several posts already. I'm not taking the bait anymore from you.
Also, FGRP should never be closed.

I think I've got a few points to make known. Although so far in this thread, I've only read the first page and the last page, as I tend to do before my first post, I noticed that the discussion hasn't gone anywhere, so there can't have been any posts I've missed which were too important.

Alright, I didn't come to this forum 'Ages Ago'. While I'd like to think I'm a long time member, I mostly started off in the upper forums and drifted down. Indeed, I only came to the lower forums after General Discussion had well started up, although I had looked at VN a few times. All I can say is, in regards to moderation, it's very much based on a personal opinion- which is why this forum can't be moderated perfectly. In my opinion, it's all about the line. With anything. To take the example of 'Mew'. Now, when I was in the forums a while ago, to have Janet/Sofia go 'Mew' and call herself 'Kitty', and such, was endearing, to say the least. And while I have to say it's worn off as I've been here, there's a point in time when it's too much. Personally, I think one person is enough. Any more than that, and it annoys me. However, if MoM want's to be also feline-obsessed, then it's not my right to restrict her, or ask for her to be restricted. It's a quirk, everyone has them. And while the forum used to be smaller, and everyone had an individual quirk, now we're overlapping a bit. I don't mind that, it's not past the line. The point where threads begin to dissolve into nothing but Auuuu~ Mew~ and Desu~ is the point where it is crossing the line, and, admittedly, some action must be taken. The problem is the action taken.

And that's what I believe is missing from the forum today. Two main things, the Chill, and the Trust. As far as I can tell, the Trust won't come back. The forum was small back then. Everyone talked about whatever was going on, and everyone else listened. Indeed, you could ask for help in the happy thread, and people would reply. People would help, instead of going 'Take it to Life Advice!'. You could post something sad in the sad thread, and people responded with sympathy. Everyone was just... closer. And that's what had half of the attraction of this forum. Aqizzar didn't Like being idolized, but doubtless he laughed at the jokes we made about him. And when someone stepped over the line, the forum itself berated them. We were like a group of friends, rather than a bunch of Anonymous. But, as the forum grew bigger, only then did I start to think about lurkers, stalkers, and how much personal information we were all sharing. But hey, this is more a bitch about how it was, rather than anything constructive. Secondly- The Chill. That's what made B12 Unique. It wasn't a forum like any others, because the single, simple rule, for everyone to follow was, 'Keep it chill'. And that's what we did. Besides, we always had Duke and Reasonableman there, exuding chill from their very avatars. To be honest, I don't think this forum needs more rules, or stricter enforcement on rules, or anything like that. I think it just needs for us all to remember rule no. 1. Keep it chill. And I think that's what is causing half of the problems here.

Another couple of things I just have to mention here-
Threads get derailed. Deal with it. A thread is like a conversation, with the OP being the guiding force. A thread will be derailed as it progresses. And, for the record, 'derailing', isn't the same as 'Massive quote pyramids and trolling'. That is what you would call... 'Massive quote pyramids and trolling'. Derailing is exactly what it sounds like. When the discussion leaves the rails- As in, when we change subject. And that happens very easily, and it's natural. If we're talking about something, we can naturally get sidetracked on a different discussion. These discussions can be just as interesting and thought-provoking as the original discusssion. However, a derail should usually fade out on it's own. If it doesn't, that's where a 're-rail' is necessary. A post to get people back on topic. Of course, when the forum was smaller, derails were one of the ways to keep a thread interesting, because everyone puts in their opinion on a topic, and where do you go from there? But yes, people shouldn't be continually complaining about derailling topics. It's the same as a conversation branching out. Sometimes it can make a new conversation, sometimes it will eventually tie back into where you were going anyway.

And for my biggest peeve about this forum- It's primarily a DF forum. The forum itself. The amount of people nowadays who have never heard of DF, let alone played it, and yet still tromp around these forums annoys me. I always considered DF to be a rite of passage into these forums. If we all played it, and it led us here, then that's a good indication that it's drawing people with similar personalities and traits together. To have people on this forum say 'DF looks bad', or 'I never had the patience for it', annoys me to no end. I think that most of the reason for B12 losing it's trust was simply because it went from people playing the game, then checking the forum, to people saying 'Hey, this forum is awesome, go on it'. Now, for some parts, I don't mind. The constant intermingling between XKCD and B12 in the Mafia- That's fine. They're here to play mafia. However, I think it's important that we remember that DF is more or less why this forum was created, and why it exists. And while we can have our discussion about anything on the lower forums, I like to think that we've all got something in common- We either play Dwarf Fortress, or we Played Dwarf Fortress.

And that's more or less what I have to say on the matter. Even though I may have lost track at a few points.

Warning - while you were typing 10 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Whatevs.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:31:22 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 08, 2011, 08:29:08 pm »

Would you mind providing a few examples?

Go to pretty much any official website (gaming website, news website whatever) that has a forum. Those were the result of me googling the first few companies that came into my head.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:33 pm »

Dammit, Firefox ate my reply. Trying again:

As far as I can tell (I wasn't around for it), VN was basically the general offtopic board before, correct? So it wasn't really removed, it was basically split into the current offtopic forums.

That's my impression, sort of, but VN wasn't all that similar in terms of attitude, atmosphere, or style of discussion, to the point where a lot of people (or at least a vocal minority) were quite upset with its closing, even going so far as to create splinter forums on other websites, some of which are still sort of active. The point here is that restructuring a forum (including removing a section) is something that has happened before, and had good results, and for reasons beyond cut-and-dry matters of what sort of discussion is or isn't allowed -- and that even if it's the right thing to do in a certain case, it might not be a popular decision.

@G-Flex, I'd just like to say that I understand your point on forum games & roleplaying: It has little to nothing to do with DF. However, the Bay12Forums is more of a community than just a development forum. The boards that don't seem to have any connection to DF supplement the community itself, because a good portion of the community enjoys forum games & roleplaying. Sure, they could go off-site, but that detracts from the purpose of having the close-knit community. If those boards were deleting, locked up, etc., then there would be a lot less activity. Maybe that's what you want, but a large point you try to make is that it's Toady's community. Remember that Toady made those boards to supplement the community spawning around his game. It also doesn't hurt that the community itself gets a lot of attention. It draws people in, and you may not like those people, but there's always a chance it could end up with a donation to Toady.

Does that work? I never saw you reply to it so I assume you skipped it.

I totally understand that there needs to be a community here, not just discussion about DF, which is why I'm not saying that we need a complete lack of off-topic boards or anything like that. Also, "a good portion of the community enjoys forum games & roleplaying" doesn't necessarily mean much if a lot of those people stick around because of the forum games and roleplaying, and there are other subtleties to it that are harder to consider: For instance, how many people could go to the forums but don't, and why not? I think there's a strong possibility that the forum subculture surrounding FG&RP (or, perhaps more relevantly, the GD twitterthread things), while attracting users of its own, may be encouraging patterns of behavior on the forum in general that discourage other people from staying, who are legitimately interested in talking about both DF and other subjects.

In short, drawing some people in can be a trade-off for drawing other people in, and you can't grab every demographic at once. What you have available affects who shows up or sticks around, and how they act, which in turn also affects who shows up or sticks around, or who doesn't. It all depends on what kind of community and atmosphere you want to foster, but my point is that having some particular subforum around isn't necessarily a "net gain" in terms of forum population, and that even if it is, that isn't always a good thing.

You mean things like "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!", "i herd u liek mudkipz", "YOUR DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!" and spin-offs?

Again, I'm talking more about how people act in general than the particular inside jokes/snowclones/associated things that they use. You know, patterns of behavior rather than isolated ones. Obviously, every community is going to have injokes, and some use them more than others, but it goes beyond that.

Actually, he didn't. He argued in favor of deleting Forum Games & Roleplaying because the concept just didn't seem to make sense in regards to it being on DF, and it was a point he laid out pretty well. The other discussion he had was that he didn't like certain behavior on the lower forums. You're meshing the two together.

I think the two topics are related. I don't think I'd care as much about RG&RP if I didn't think that it affected behavior/posting elsewhere, although there are aspects of each issue that can certainly be considered separate from one another. On the other hand, I would still care about it in the sense that, if it's so separate from the rest of the forums that it doesn't affect them at all, why have it?

Before i begin my discussion- G-Flex, you're spiteful and self-righteous, and I dislike your constant disapproval of everything which offends your senses, and that post was simply painting you as Armok- unable to rebut their point, yet unable to admit defeat, you instead seek to demean others, and place yourself as a 'higher level', by saying that our willingness to pursue our own opinions other than yours makes us immature.

I don't think I'm doing any of this. I have nothing against things just because I have no interest in them (I don't care much to ask for life advice on this forum either, but I won't suggest that gets closed down) or because they personally offend me (if I can survive in fundamentalist Christian chat rooms, I think I've passed that test). I think you're being rather spiteful yourself, and I'm not going to take your bait by responding further. I suggest you back away from this a little bit, reconsider what you're saying, and maybe try to approach this from another, less emotional angle.

By the way, G-Flex, the difference between removing VN, as I understand it, and removing any other forum is that each of the current subforums has a very specific purpose that is not fulfilled by any other subforum. By removing any of them, you're either going to lose a lot of people, or all of it's going to move into another subforum.

This is true. However, there are plenty of purposeful subforums we currently don't have. We don't have a dating forum, or a funny picture posts forum, or whatever other forum you could imagine that has its own purpose, that we don't have yet, and whose purpose isn't fulfilled by another. The only difference between one that we currently have and one that we don't is inertia; aside from that, there's no difference between removing a subforum we have now and not having one that we never had in the first place. In other words, this forum can't and won't have everything, and "forum games" doesn't deserve too much special treatment just because it's something we already have.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:36:48 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #493 on: January 08, 2011, 08:43:32 pm »

What do you even have against FG&RP anyway?

Also, the reason we don't have a dating or funny pictures subforum is because those forums actually are fulfilled by other subforums. Dating, if by that you mean dating advice, is life advice. Funny pictures isn't really the thing we want here, but it's there in GD if it really has to be.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 08, 2011, 08:44:13 pm »

Go to pretty much any official website (gaming website, news website whatever) that has a forum. Those were the result of me googling the first few companies that came into my head.
And these forums are better?  I mean, perhaps I'm posting here and not on those forums because I prefer this one?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34