Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34

Author Topic: Regarding the state of the forums.  (Read 34463 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the state of the forums.
« Reply #405 on: January 07, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »

Sure, everyone can ignore uninteresting threads, just like we can ignore the homeless begging for money on the side of the road. Ignoring it doesn't fix the problem. You're not proposing a solution, or at least you're not understanding the problem.
I do just wanna point out that silly people are not starving to death nor freezing at night, and that it's not exactly a humanitarian problem.  Ignoring a humanitarian problem is a big issue.  To me, this sometimes feels more like "ignoring what your neighbors do in their bedroom...even if they are occasionally rather loud about it".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 07, 2011, 07:38:19 pm »

How did toady phrase that? "please amplify your relaxed sate" ?

Enhance your calm, John Spartan.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »

hahaha. Movie references
*Hugs*

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 07, 2011, 08:29:35 pm »

I like Realmfighter. He's pretty funny. But he destroys trains.
I AM THE END ALL ALL THINGS, ESPECIALLY TRA-

Oh wow.

I see it now.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #409 on: January 07, 2011, 08:48:36 pm »

Sure, everyone can ignore uninteresting threads, just like we can ignore the homeless begging for money on the side of the road. Ignoring it doesn't fix the problem. You're not proposing a solution, or at least you're not understanding the problem.
I do just wanna point out that silly people are not starving to death nor freezing at night, and that it's not exactly a humanitarian problem.  Ignoring a humanitarian problem is a big issue.  To me, this sometimes feels more like "ignoring what your neighbors do in their bedroom...even if they are occasionally rather loud about it".

The only point I was making was that ignoring something doesn't fix it, not that they carried a similar weight as a problem.
As for ignoring your neighbors, yeah, it's similar to that, except what if it keeps you up at night, or is just constantly there and annoying when you don't want to think about it. Yes, that can't really apply to the situation we're talking about in the forums, but I'm just reinforcing that ignoring something isn't a solution.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 07, 2011, 09:02:05 pm »

I'm old enough that I remember (and have access to the records of) Various Nonsense. I don't think that we've gotten to that level yet, but I remember my line of reasoning which said that having a serious discussion and casual discussion area segregated. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 07, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »

Nobody seems to want that besides you and I. There are people that are sure we can police ourselves, but don't want the addition of any tools to do so, because we aren't able to police ourselves. Erm, what?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #412 on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:45 pm »

Nobody seems to want that besides you and I. There are people that are sure we can police ourselves, but don't want the addition of any tools to do so, because we aren't able to police ourselves. Erm, what?
Maybe it's that the tools to police ourselves will severly eschew our ability to police ourselves.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 07, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »

Okay, I didn't want to jump into this thread, but I'm going to throw in my support for the segregated serious/silly boards.
They could also be grouped with the most serious at the top and most silly at the bottom.
Which I suppose would make it easier for people who want to ignore silly stuff.
While we're at it, I also propose a tech support board, or maybe renaming Life Advice to Life Advice & Tech Support.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #414 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:39 pm »

Okay, I didn't want to jump into this thread, but I'm going to throw in my support for the segregated serious/silly boards.
They could also be grouped with the most serious at the top and most silly at the bottom.
Which I suppose would make it easier for people who want to ignore silly stuff.
While we're at it, I also propose a tech support board, or maybe renaming Life Advice to Life Advice & Tech Support.
I agree with splitting serious/silly.

Also, Life Advice should probably just be renamed a nice generic "Help" board.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 07, 2011, 09:36:28 pm »

Help is too vague, kinda like the current state of 'General Discussion.'
On one hand, it has General, which implies pretty much everything that the others don't (Happy and Sad threads), then it has Discussion, which implies actual discussion (this thread and such).
Maybe General Stuff for one and the other Serious Discussion.
The former doesn't have the 'LOLRANDUM' connotations that Various Nonsense had, and the latter satisfies those who want a dedicated place for constructive debates and other serious stuff.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 07, 2011, 09:59:25 pm »

Help is too vague, kinda like the current state of 'General Discussion.'
On one hand, it has General, which implies pretty much everything that the others don't (Happy and Sad threads), then it has Discussion, which implies actual discussion (this thread and such).
Maybe General Stuff for one and the other Serious Discussion.
The former doesn't have the 'LOLRANDUM' connotations that Various Nonsense had, and the latter satisfies those who want a dedicated place for constructive debates and other serious stuff.

I endorse this, This is how it should be. It will take care of our problems. We can be serious, the boards will be more accurately named, and we can lol at each other a la Realmfighter without derailing serious discussion.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:00 pm »

Eh... Okay, now I don't pretend I know what goes on in Toady's head better than anyone else, but let's think about the statements and actions he has made here.  He tried making more sections while keeping Various Nonsense open.  He tolerated the rapid fire posting in Happy and Sad as long as was willing to.  I don't think it's the interference alone of silliness that bothers him, in the sense that getting Reports and having to clean up threads is the problem.  It's that the silliness is itself the problem, because it never stays contained in any area set aside for it.

Look, we've been through this before.  Multiple times.  What solution worked every time before?  Tarn and Zach saying, "Knock it off guys, you're getting out of hand," and almost everybody pipes down for a good while, until it creeps back to silliness again.  I don't see where there's any problem with that arrangement.

Although I do endorse the "Life Advice and Tech Support" title, since it's true.  What an incredibly weird board, 50/50 "Why is my motherboard broken?" vs "How do I get girl?"
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #418 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »

Eh... Okay, now I don't pretend I know what goes on in Toady's head better than anyone else, but let's think about the statements and actions he has made here.  He tried making more sections while keeping Various Nonsense open.  He tolerated the rapid fire posting in Happy and Sad as long as was willing to.  I don't think it's the interference alone of silliness that bothers him, in the sense that getting Reports and having to clean up threads is the problem.  It's that the silliness is itself the problem, because it never stays contained in any area set aside for it.

Look, we've been through this before.  Multiple times.  What solution worked every time before?  Tarn and Zach saying, "Knock it off guys, you're getting out of hand," and almost everybody pipes down for a good while, until it creeps back to silliness again.  I don't see where there's any problem with that arrangement.

Although I do endorse the "Life Advice and Tech Support" title, since it's true.  What an incredibly weird board, 50/50 "Why is my motherboard broken?" vs "How do I get girl?"
I think the main problem with the silliness is that there's no clear set boundaries for it. Right now, we have all of GD in one generic spot, which contains everything from politics to ponies.

I'd suggest renaming Life Advice to something more generic like "Help" though. Maybe even just a generic board for "what should I do?" and the like.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 07, 2011, 10:26:16 pm »

I've noticed some people wanting tech support posting in GD and others posting in LA. Just making LA applicable to all would probably help. As CoF said, renaming LA to "Help" or to "Life Advice and Tech Support" as ein said, or something else similar (and rewording its board description) would aid in that.

Spoiler: On Serious subforums (click to show/hide)

I think a Serious subforum should only be made if topic creators (who really have the say as to what they let fly in their thread based on what they say in the OP) can not help keep silliness to a minimum in their serious threads by including a line (preferably as the first thing they say in the first post of the thread) saying that the thread is meant to be serious and that any out-of-place silliness will not be tolerated (as in, reported). I've noticed a general lack of topic creators setting guidelines for their threads.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34