Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs won't move in Reclaim Fortress  (Read 1338 times)

xtc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs won't move in Reclaim Fortress
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:58:10 am »

I'm a new player. After a few aborted runs I managed to make a fairly elaborate fortress, but I spent so much time building fancy features I didn't look after my dwarfs and they went nuts and started killing each other. I abandonned the fortress and went in to Reclaim it with a fresh party.

There are no particular nasties in the fortress.
But there are some ghosts of the dead dwarfs.

My problem is that my reclaim party just sits by their wagon. I've reclaimed the whole fortress using the designation menu. I tried setting up stockpiles in the fortress to encourage the dwarfs to move in, setting up various digging and building jobs, but they just sit by the wagon.

The fortress entance is a short (half a screen and down a level) distance from the wagon.
The stockpiles and other jobs are further into the fortress, after the defense layers.
Would the ghosts be scaring away my party? I noticed one run out of the fort and start battering a dwarf by the wagon.

I set up the party to have some fighting skills and some civilian skills. I tried equipping with weapons but all I could see were battle axes on the equipment screen, so that's all they had. They also had a bunch of civilian stuff. The main problem in the first failure was starvation so the reclaim party has a decent stock of food and seed.

After embarking, I used 'reclaim' all over my fortress. I set up the stockpiles and other orders. Then I set the game running and... nothing. The dwarfs just mill around their wagon. The one exception was an outdoor field next to the wagon which I managed to get a dwarf to start working.

Am I supposed to make these guys into a military squad? I didn't get that far in my original game.

If the ghosts are the problem (there are about four I think) can I fight them with conventional weapons or is there another way round?

Please help! I was chuffed with my fortress and I don't want to have to go through it all again.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs won't move in Reclaim Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:16:52 am »

Firstoff: Due to reclaim you have lost ALL mud in your caverns. First consider if it is still worth the effort.
Second: No idea. Never head ghosts or this problem.

EDIT: But my fort was never revealed and I had to lure my dwarves into the fortress by using some designations before I could even see stuff.

xtc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:42:20 am »

I hadn't punched through to caverns yet. Will they be devoid of mud when I do?

One of the things I did which caused me to neglect dwarfs was install an elaborate plumbing system, so I am hopeful I can direct water into caverns even if they are dry.

But first I need to reclaim the fortress!

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:32:52 am »

The lack of mud is a minor setback if you don't have any qualms using dfliquids to flood enough tiles for farming and such. ::)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:19:54 am »

You may need to create a squad (one dorf should do) and use the station command to move him into and around in your fortress.  It sounds like your dorfs can't path to the jobs you are designating, which could be because the reclaim reset the area that they know about.  A squad of soldiers can be ordered to explore and rediscover your fortress.  Or you can try creating meeting zones closer and closer to the entrance of your fortress, which should also help.

You did get a dorf to work an existing field, have you tried cutting trees?  Gathering plants?  Designating a new stairwell to be dug next to the wagon?  If those work, it's a problem with the dorfs seeing inside the old fortress.  If they don't, it's a different problem, and I don't know how to help.  Save, quit, and reload, maybe?

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.