Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So I had the greatest idea against crossbow goblins  (Read 1903 times)

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I had the greatest idea against crossbow goblins
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »

Dig a 1 z level pit before your entrance, with no way out. with a bridge or narrow walkway overlooking it,   fill the pit with nobles, elves,  immigrants,   cats   and they'll waste their ammo before ever getting to your real defences, and it helps control the noble, elf, immigrant cat population
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:08 am »

This might be a possible solution, to make them waste bolts. Set up a room, which is behind fortifications. Behind the fortifications, set up flood gates, connected to a repeater device. When crossbow gobbos arrive outside the gate, engage the repeater.
 In the room, assign a animal, to a rope. With the floodgates repeatedly opening , and closing, the bow goblins will waste their ammo supply on the animal. With the repeater, most will not strike it. Then, when ammo supply is gone, send out the melee troops.
 For a bonus, make the room a nobles
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 12:24:26 am »

Actually, here's the idea, a waffled fort entrance.

x x x x
     x x x x x
    x x x x x x
=====   ======

Traps in between walls.

You almost certainly want clumps of two:
Code: [Select]
  XX  XX  XX  XX
XX  XX  XX  XX 
  XX  XX  XX  XX
XX  XX  XX  XX 
======  ========

No non-melee lines of fire at all. I've used them with great success against fireball-throwing enemies.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 [2]