Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Efficient goblin disposal and goblinite recovery?  (Read 1682 times)

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Efficient goblin disposal and goblinite recovery?
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:15:35 pm »

Tired of the tedious business of corpse disposal after every goblin siege? Wish to judge burn the sieges away with magma, but unwilling to give up the precious goblinite? I've been considering these problems and have determined a solution. Normal magma traps leave the goblinite in 1/7 magma even after the magma is pumped away. Grates that let magma pass through are vulnerable to building destroyers. :(

So I decided to combine the two systems with ye old standard dodge trap. :D Schematics below:

z: -4:         :::==========::: Your standard 1-tile wide bridge lined with nonlethal weapon traps to make goblins dodge.
                 :::                  :::
z: -6: (door)++~~~~~~~~XX(floodgate): Door allows retrieval of goblinite after magma is drained. Floodgate allows refilling pit with more magma up to 7/7.
                 :::""""""""""""""""""::: Grate floor allows drainage of z: -6 magma from pumps on level z: -7.
z: -7:         :::~~~~~~~~== xx: Fortification and pump allow draining of all the magma from level z: -6 through the grate floor when activated.
                 ::::::::::::::::::::: (Pump) (I know the pump is supposed to be one level higher but you get the drift)

In its set state, the pit is filled with magma up to 7/7 on z:-6. Any goblins, trolls, and other nasties falling in will melt, leaving goblinite on the grates submerged in magma. The building destroyers will be too busy melting to think about destroying the grates or breaking through the door. Once the siege is done, simply activate the pumps below z: -6 and watch as the magma is drained away, leaving the goblinite behind on the still intact grates. Resetting is simply a matter of opening the floodgate and allowing more magma to pour in. Any grates that do happen to be destroyed by magma-resistant building destroyers can be easily repaired after the nasty is gone by draining the pit and replacing the grates.

Needless to say everything needs to be made of magma safe materials.  ;D

“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient goblin disposal and goblinite recovery?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »

im only a dabbling ascii reader. can you put this into microsoft paint?
LOSING IS FUN!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:58 pm »

Pffffffffft the Perfect Magma Trap already solves your "problem"

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=44693.msg863265#msg863265

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:18 pm »

Drawn with my masterful MS paint skills.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As I noted before trolls and other building destroyers can destroy the exposed grates in the trap you've mentioned. This trap has a layer of magma over the grates in the first place and has the building destroyers fall in from dodging, melting them and preventing them from destroying the grates, door, or floodgate. In addition, it's a lot less complicated to design and build...draining and resetting require the pulling of only 2 levers in sequence...one to activate and deactivate the pumps, and one to open the floodgate to allow more magma in to reset.

I did study that trap though and have to say it's an excellent design. I took the grate idea from it, in fact.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:43:41 pm by Lycaeon »

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:42:31 pm »

Buildings destroyers are hilariously easy neutralize.

A 2 tile thick row of hatches with an inaccessible pit below will stop them since they can't resist destroying. Also most of them can be caged.

They still destroy buildings while melting. What if the enemies just block the traps?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:44:37 pm by Acperience »

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:43:28 pm »

wat
LOSING IS FUN!

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:47:21 pm »

That's true, but this design deals with them all the same, in case any manage to get through. I've been through too many sieges with dozens of trolls, voracious cave crawlers, and other building destroyers to trust my cage traps to get rid of all of them.  :(

If they block the traps then other means must be necessary. And I don't think building destroyers destroy buildings when they're melting...if they do then you can just make the pit deep enough to stun them from the fall.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:48:56 pm by Lycaeon »

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:08 pm »

Although it is very difficult to set up, and any mistakes will lead to much much FUN, you can use a hallway with a variation of hanging mist generators to melt any attackers without damaging their goods. I can't do a diagram because I suck at paint, but essentially it's set up like this:

Magma pumps will pump in magma faster than they pump it out. So you have a grid of magma pumps one z-level above your hallway with the pump intakes and outtakes on the same square. This will create a 1/7 magma pool that floats in mid air on the hallway level. Just make sure to have 2 separate levers; one for the output pumps and one for the intake pumps so that you can shut them down in sequence to remove the magma before it falls on the loot in the hallway.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:15:58 am »

Drawn with my masterful MS paint skills.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BEST IMAGE OF ALL TIME. 

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 12:27:28 pm »

That's true, but this design deals with them all the same, in case any manage to get through. I've been through too many sieges with dozens of trolls, voracious cave crawlers, and other building destroyers to trust my cage traps to get rid of all of them.  :(

If they block the traps then other means must be necessary. And I don't think building destroyers destroy buildings when they're melting...if they do then you can just make the pit deep enough to stun them from the fall.

A good way to do this would be with glass serrated discs, 10 per weapon trap. They're rarely lethal (I've only observed the once-in-a-blue-moon headstrike chance killing anything), and attack 30 times with each shot, so they provide the maximum dodge chances. The hallway can be lengthened to alleviate the chances of creatures getting stuck.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »

A good way to do this would be with glass serrated discs, 10 per weapon trap. They're rarely lethal (I've only observed the once-in-a-blue-moon headstrike chance killing anything), and attack 30 times with each shot, so they provide the maximum dodge chances. The hallway can be lengthened to alleviate the chances of creatures getting stuck.
Spiked balls also attack thrice, and they rarely get stuck (seeing as they push things around rather then cut things.  And sometimes glass can have an infinitely sharp edge.  Beware.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 06:36:22 pm »

For those who are slightly "ASCII challenged", enjoy my horrendous MS paint drawing!
Note, there's a 4 z-level or so drop from the bridge to the grates, and the floodgate is holding back more magma.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:41:00 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

I used gravity fed magma and a goblin grinder combination - works pretty well, though you have to watch it with building destroyers around, have to time lava release if they get past traps.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74519.0
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:38 pm »

For those who are slightly "ASCII challenged", enjoy my horrendous MS paint drawing!
Note, there's a 4 z-level or so drop from the bridge to the grates, and the floodgate is holding back more magma.

That's a much better rendition. :)

Testing in the arena shows that stunned and/or melting building destroyers in magma will not pay attention to fighting anyone in adjacent squares (or on top of them, for that matter). Hopefully this includes building destruction. Making the pit a couple of z levels down will stun fallen building destroyers, possibly long enough for them to melt before attacking the grates. Even if a grate or two is destroyed...there's only more magma underneath, and as building destroyers don't normally wear goblinite, all that's needed is to drain the trap and repair the grates after the siege and not pay attention to the now nonexistant troll used to be under the grates.

And making the bridge long enough should ensure that most, if not all, enemies on it will dodge to their deaths unless trap immune. So this will pretty much take care of everything except fliers, titans, FB's, and clowns.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:00:56 pm by Lycaeon »