Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Sneek  (Read 568 times)

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
Training Sneek
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »

Ok 2 real quick questions. I just got this picture in my head of Dwarves in full plate sneeking around my map. So:

1) Will a Dwarf in the millitary sneek? I know Hunters will but just wondering if anyone has seen a millitary dwarf tip-toing about.

2) Short of modding in something, can I train this skill en masse? I dont particually want to make heeps of hunters as I have a Giant Eagle flappen about Im going to catch (one way or another) and dont want to die, but other then that just Slugmen and Snailmen, which I cant eat (clearly I need to introduce my Dwarves to the French) and really have no beef with so dont wanna massacre.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Sneek
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:15 pm »

Ok 2 real quick questions. I just got this picture in my head of Dwarves in full plate sneeking around my map. So:

1) Will a Dwarf in the millitary sneek? I know Hunters will but just wondering if anyone has seen a millitary dwarf tip-toing about.

2) Short of modding in something, can I train this skill en masse? I dont particually want to make heeps of hunters as I have a Giant Eagle flappen about Im going to catch (one way or another) and dont want to die, but other then that just Slugmen and Snailmen, which I cant eat (clearly I need to introduce my Dwarves to the French) and really have no beef with so dont wanna massacre.

1) I believe so. I once assigned my hunters to military as marksdwarves they walked right up to the goblins before shooting. Though this mightve been because of all the trees

2) Other than having a load of hunters i dont think so 
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:45:08 pm »

You could make a workshop that trains ambushing if you know how. Deon did it, but with other combat skills.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:09:20 pm »

You could make a workshop that trains ambushing if you know how. Deon did it, but with other combat skills.
You can mod the dwarves to all have legendary +5 in sneaking to begin with. Why settle for some cheap tricks if you can do the cheapest ways?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:01:13 am »

Cos it's not necessarily a cheap trick so much as adding a mechanic (depending on how fast it grows)

Hacking in legenday ambusher is flat out cheating

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:13:29 am »

Cos it's not necessarily a cheap trick so much as adding a mechanic (depending on how fast it grows)

Hacking in legenday ambusher is flat out cheating
If you stop playing IM for a moment (cause traditional danger room is not possible there) you'd find the answer being "ridiculously fast." Danger room will net everyone legendary +5 in all relevant skills in less then a year while live combat training takes 3 years or so to feed ONE dorf to get there and usually only in a few skills at that.

As for ambush, I dont have much actual experience with it to comment. I have always been using military for hunting...
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.