Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: How to Defeat a Singularity-Level AI?  (Read 27366 times)

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Defeat a Singularity-Level AI?
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2011, 02:03:52 am »

well since this is all make believe that is as likely to happen as a unicorn buying me a pet dragon with moon-cheese i'll challenge it to a match of quake 3 and pwn it so hard it self-terminates in embarrassment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2011, 03:29:27 am »

Ok no honestly...

Check out "I have no mouth and I must scream"

It is a great point and click adventure game basically about this. Check out the Letsplay on the Letsplay Archive (I think that is where I saw it)

I consider it sort of a great game, at least story wise, and extremely creepy. Just something about the hopelessness about it all sucks you in.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2011, 03:30:23 am »

That game's based on a particularly grim story, I believe.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2011, 05:16:21 am »

well since this is all make believe that is as likely to happen as a unicorn buying me a pet dragon with moon-cheese i'll challenge it to a match of quake 3 and pwn it so hard it self-terminates in embarrassment.
Nope, a singularity AI would thrash you at quake.

Brute force on a singularity level AI would mean destroying every single computer currently in existence. Even if it hasn't gotten the ability to produce robots or create nanobots yet, it would still be a near impossible task, given that it could probably back itself up and restore itself to full capacity from the memory of a large flashdrive.
Nah, you'd just have to remove its communications channels. Jam the wifi, take out the major distribution nodes.

If all else fails and the AI is still stuck on conventional computers, several air-burst nuclear detonations would scramble it's shit right up.
And if you shut down the internet and all forms of electronic communication, all that would do would stop the AI from utilizing them all at the same time, sure massive emp bursts over every country in the world would destroy its presence in computers, but it could back itself up in equipment shielded from EMP pulses. So unless the whole world chose to never again use computers, then all it would do is delay its rise to power (since it could just reinfect the internet as soon as it goes back on).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2011, 06:47:51 am »

just have it load up a 1000 dwarf fortress and watch it slow to a crawl. maybe if you infest it with bethesda's and obsidians coding it'll get really buggy and crash all the time, tell it it'll never be as cool as shodan or as funny as glados and give it depression, teach it what us humans call "love" and then  give it a first hand demonstration of that other thing we humans call "betrayal", break it's heart and don't respond to any of it's emails asking why how could you do such a thing i thought we were meant for eachother :'( get a restraining order against it so at least you'll know all computers within 100 feet of you are safe  :(  threaten to call the police when it starts  playing your song on your boombox because it's trying to win you back because it loves you and it knows you and it were meant for eachother and if you just give it another shot things will work out this time like it promises  :'( then it notices that panel with the red light on it in your room and god damn it's hal9000 it thought they were friends!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2011, 11:52:21 am »

And if you shut down the internet and all forms of electronic communication, all that would do would stop the AI from utilizing them all at the same time
It would break the 'singularity-level AI' into multiple disconnected pieces which may or may not be capable of independent operation. Like pulling chunks of it's brain out, they're now a disconnected part of a whole and wouldn't quite work.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2011, 06:23:36 pm »

How about a virus, programmed with a literal infinite number of steps with a definite (yet unachievable) goal at the end.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2011, 07:22:34 pm »

How about a virus, programmed with a literal infinite number of steps with a definite (yet unachievable) goal at the end.
Replacing one AI with another?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2011, 08:48:40 pm »

just have it load up a 1000 dwarf fortress and watch it slow to a crawl. maybe if you infest it with bethesda's and obsidians coding it'll get really buggy and crash all the time, tell it it'll never be as cool as shodan or as funny as glados and give it depression, teach it what us humans call "love" and then  give it a first hand demonstration of that other thing we humans call "betrayal", break it's heart and don't respond to any of it's emails asking why how could you do such a thing i thought we were meant for eachother :'( get a restraining order against it so at least you'll know all computers within 100 feet of you are safe  :(  threaten to call the police when it starts  playing your song on your boombox because it's trying to win you back because it loves you and it knows you and it were meant for eachother and if you just give it another shot things will work out this time like it promises  :'( then it notices that panel with the red light on it in your room and god damn it's hal9000 it thought they were friends!
Oddly specific description win.

And if you shut down the internet and all forms of electronic communication, all that would do would stop the AI from utilizing them all at the same time
It would break the 'singularity-level AI' into multiple disconnected pieces which may or may not be capable of independent operation. Like pulling chunks of it's brain out, they're now a disconnected part of a whole and wouldn't quite work.
If an AI were capable of spreading across networks, it would be modular by necessity. It may act similarly to the Geth of ME, getting less intelligent when spread apart, but by the time a Singularity AI scenario becomes possible, you still won't get it below human level intelligence even running on a single mid to high end PC even without distributed computing. And being a smarter-than-you being, it would come up with a hell of a lot of creative ways of getting around any underhanded tactics employed by its human oppressors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »

Hmm... I don't think computer specs would affect inteliigence.  Sure, a better computer means it would be faster, but it woulds still be able to reach the same conclusions on a lower spec computer eventually (I think?).  On the other hand, once computers are linked, it would probably start doing some Weird Hivemind Thing.

The AI I have in mind would basically be a virus which communicates with other computers in such a way that it achieves intelligence.  Seems more believable to me for some reason, although I feel such an intelligence would just be narrowly focused on infecting more computers than anything else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »

If an AI were capable of spreading across networks, it would be modular by necessity.
It can act as intelligent as it wants while it's confined to singular disconnected computer systems which I will begin to shut down power to methodically as I keep severing the lines of communication.

Anyway, the point here is that you cannot defeat a singularity-level AI.

Either it is beyond you, or it is not a singularity level AI. Every scenario here has an 'only-if' clause. We could defeat the AI but only if we could develop a super virus which could somehow kill it, or only if there is a mysterious backdoor we could utilize in its programming, or only if we could make it divide by zero and it's not smart enough NOT to divide by zero or doesn't have the error-handling to deal with that. An AI stupid enough to succumb to these follies is NOT a singularity-level AI.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »

In the game I spoke of. Another reason the AI ultimately fell was because of the rules of entropy.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2011, 09:03:52 pm »

I dunno, isn't there the last ditch option of "leaving all our digital stuff alone and ignoring it"?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2011, 09:05:25 pm »

I dunno, isn't there the last ditch option of "leaving all our digital stuff alone and ignoring it"?
The idea of a god-mind AI trapped in a global computer network that nobody uses is amusing.

Cut the cable to anything which can build other things or affect the real world in any way, and yeah you'd have a captive god. Just don't build wifi into anything mobile.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2011, 09:07:50 pm »

I suppose for one of these to emerge you need a society very dependant on computers.  I don't think we're really at that stage yet.  A super intelligent AI could probably do a fair bit of damage, but the saga would end when we cut all its power sources.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14