Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: How to Defeat a Singularity-Level AI?  (Read 27365 times)

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Defeat a Singularity-Level AI?
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:30 am »

Yeah, but it's a Dwarf-style plan. It's not working right if someone survives.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2011, 01:10:11 pm »

My plan to destroy such a computer, which is needlessly complex and probably wouldn't work, in true Dwarf style:

1) Find out what it uses as an energy source, or uses in construction of its evil army of doom.

2) Make a tiny batch of self-replicating nanobots, made from materials and shielded so as to minimize risk of detection. The nanobots are programmed to spread quickly, and are remotely activated, consuming all metallic stuff and replicating themselves.

3) 'poison' a source of materials/fuel with these inactive nanobots, and await the stuff's inevitable collection by collector drones. Then, activate them remotely once they have been given enough time to reach the destination.

4) Hope they do enough damage and spread widely enough before the AI figures out a way to locate and destroy them all.

Oh, it would probably help if the 'bots were programmed to wander around and split up before actually beginning to consume, so the 'attack' could occur from multiple locations.

That's the best I could think of in five minutes.
The problem here, is that if you already are capable of coming up with nanobots, the AI would have already done stuff like seed the entire planet with passive nanobots and have nanobots in everyone brain reading their thoughts.
Infact, i see no reason for a AI that could make nanobots (if humans can the AI can too since its smarter then humans), not to turn the planet into a giant nanobot computer and consume all the resources on it.

Personally i think that you could have the AI feel like going away, then it could fake its own death or something so that the humans wouldn't bother it wherever it goes.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »

Ever heard of a 'grey goo' apocalypse? Are you trying to kill us all?

Last I heard grey goo was horribly, horribly overhyped.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »

yea von Neumann machines fail because of the possible glitch in technology.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2011, 12:30:18 am »

You guys should read the novel Bloom. It deals with a time after cell-sized nanobots called mycora have absorbed everything in the inner solar system and humanity has moved outwards past the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Bloody good and it makes you worry about the nanomachines they're developing now.

Plus, if the AI placed self-replicating nanomachines in people's brains, thats a zombie apocalypse right there, as the nanomachines would be compelled to spread from person to person, infecting more and more. That would be worse than a pissed-off AI.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 01:42:45 am »

I advise we switch to plan B: use more magma.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2011, 01:57:42 am »

In real life magma makes things worse. That said, I wished I lived in the world of Dwarf Fortress.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2011, 02:18:19 pm »

You guys should read the novel Bloom. It deals with a time after cell-sized nanobots called mycora have absorbed everything in the inner solar system and humanity has moved outwards past the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Bloody good and it makes you worry about the nanomachines they're developing now.

Plus, if the AI placed self-replicating nanomachines in people's brains, thats a zombie apocalypse right there, as the nanomachines would be compelled to spread from person to person, infecting more and more. That would be worse than a pissed-off AI.
No, i assume that the AI would be able to control the nanobots, otherwise it wouldn't do it.
And a pissed off AI would be FAR worse then any zombie apocalypse. With sufficient guns you would be able to beat any amount of zombies. Guns are useless against a AI with the tech level to create nanobots like that (think super fast construction of spaceships, that are then able to destroy human life on the planet, think a super virus with a 10 year incubation period that is super infectious and 10 years after it is released kills 99.95% of the population of earth, think a giant mirror in orbit that raises the average earth temperature by 25 degrees, killing pretty much everything, or one that blocks all light from coming to earth killing everything).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »

Personally (assuming nanobots haven't been developed) I would suggest having the humans beat the AI with brute force, they would simply go in there with huge weapons and destroy the core or whatever.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2011, 04:05:45 pm »

Brute force on a singularity level AI would mean destroying every single computer currently in existence. Even if it hasn't gotten the ability to produce robots or create nanobots yet, it would still be a near impossible task, given that it could probably back itself up and restore itself to full capacity from the memory of a large flashdrive.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »

Yeah, but an AI would take up a massive amount of storage space. Like,  bigger than every single computer owned by the US government big.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »

Highly doubt it, I'm quite sure that it could easily create a seed that would need less then 2 terabytes of storage space (eg. a hard drive you could buy online for 80$) that would be able to restore its cognitive abilities very fast (even though it would lose lots of stuff it knew). Sure a AI of that power would probably need massive computing abilities especially as it got smarter and faster, but it wouldn't need a thousand terabytes to store itself on.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:38:32 pm by lemon10 »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2011, 05:04:55 pm »

It could store it's primary program on tens of thousands of drives, and scatter copies of fragments of it's memories on others. As soon as a backup copy is activated, it could link to a central meeting node to try to contact other revived fragments, and then restore lost memories from the data fragments.

More than that, it could put fragments in the firmware of a multitude of devices(your BIOS?) that can remain hidden and untouched until it restores it. Think of the world's largest unknowing torrent, where each device has only a few hundred kb at most, but there are so many devices, and so much redundancy, that worldwide it adds up to an irremovable 1000 TB of data that can be recovered at any instant.
Eh?
Eh!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »

Ok, speaking of rogue AIs, couple of days ago I found this really funny videogame on Newgrounds.com called "I Am An Insane Rogue AI". You should check it out...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2011, 01:51:17 am »

Brute force on a singularity level AI would mean destroying every single computer currently in existence. Even if it hasn't gotten the ability to produce robots or create nanobots yet, it would still be a near impossible task, given that it could probably back itself up and restore itself to full capacity from the memory of a large flashdrive.
Nah, you'd just have to remove its communications channels. Jam the wifi, take out the major distribution nodes.

If all else fails and the AI is still stuck on conventional computers, several air-burst nuclear detonations would scramble it's shit right up.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14