Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The Space Thread  (Read 12004 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Space Thread
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:16 pm »

Go here to talk about the space travel and space itself.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Space Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:54 pm »

Space is pretty big I'd say.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »

Does anyone have any opinions on the military prospects if we perfect space travel?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:06:26 pm »

Are we really supposed to talk about space as a broad subject? Okay then.

I'm okay with outer space. I'm okay with a lot of things.</trollin'>

CAN'T WAIT TIL' WE FIND INTELLIGENT LIFE

Does anyone have any opinions on the military prospects if we perfect space travel?

Yeah, it'll probably be like any sci-fi war flick. Without humans being such incredibly exaggerated bastards, though.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:33:08 pm by freeformschooler »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:09:38 pm »

I think space warfare will be nothing like what is depicted in movies. It will be quick, brutal, and deadly with ships passing at high speeds firing for an instant and then fading back into the darkness.

Also rods from god.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:20:09 pm »

I doubt that space-to-space combat will ever be much of a thing. Space-to-planet, sure, but space-space seems pretty far away given the technological requirements.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:29:30 pm »

I doubt that space-to-space combat will ever be much of a thing. Space-to-planet, sure, but space-space seems pretty far away given the technological requirements.
Technical requirements? We already have nearly everything we need to make war in space.

The biggest hurdle would be near-real-time calculation and tracking of multiple distant objects. That takes a lot of computer brain.

Also putting a kinetic projectile through a motile object at any meaningful distance in space is all but impossible as the slightest twitch could throw it off target or the target could drift unexpectedly out of the way. Even speed of light weaponry (lazorz) is inaccurate beyond a certain distance due to sensor lag and lightspeed delay.

Any kind of meaningfull combat will have to be knife range unless you're firing at something with a predictable course/speed or something which is motionless relative to you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:29 pm »

Any kind of meaningfull combat will have to be knife range unless you're firing at something with a predictable course/speed or something which is motionless relative to you.

Somebody is way too optimistic for the sci fi novels were hand to hand combat is still the way of heros.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »

Somebody is way too optimistic for the sci fi novels were hand to hand combat is still the way of heros.
His term of knife-range being relative. In this case, knife-range means hundreds of thousands of miles.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »

Or he thinks we'll be using Gurren Lagaan style robots to fight one another.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10