Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damp microcline?  (Read 1979 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Damp microcline?
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »

I have been digging out a dining room/food storage/food preparation/etc area. It is being disrupted by the presence of damp stone-microcline and dactite. I am almost certain my area lacks an aquifer.

Could it be the caverns?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Damp microcline?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:24:43 pm »

it very likely could be.  go a couple z levels up and dig an exploratory tunnel (or an u/d staircase to see if the caverns get discovered.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:43:24 pm »

Be careful not to breach through the damp stone -- one wrong dig designation and your whole fort gets flooded up to the top of the water layer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »

it very likely could be.  go a couple z levels up and dig an exploratory tunnel (or an u/d staircase to see if the caverns get discovered.)
This assumes I'm ready to breech the caverns. I'm not.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Is there some other possibility for the damp stone?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:56 pm »

This assumes I'm ready to breech the caverns. I'm not.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Is there some other possibility for the damp stone?

Barring aquifers and assuming you're away from any murky pools, no.  But you can breach the caverns without having to deal with them.  I often dig exploratory tunnels then wall them off again.  Sure maybe an FB or two will arrive, but it's nothing I won't be able to deal with when I have me steel!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:55:40 pm »

ummm, there is a rare feature where you actually hit what's called an underground sea.  I got one awhile ago, below my 3rd cavern, but above the magma sea, it was 5 Z levels of water, with a ton of flesh blobs and other weird things floating around.
Nom nom nom

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:00:57 pm »

ummm, there is a rare feature where you actually hit what's called an underground sea.  I got one awhile ago, below my 3rd cavern, but above the magma sea, it was 5 Z levels of water, with a ton of flesh blobs and other weird things floating around.

That's just an underground cavern - sometimes they contain pools of water, and sometimes those pools of water can be quite large and/or deep.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 06:01:39 pm »

Well I got a message saying, Your Miners have discovered a Vast underground Ocean.
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

Well I got a message saying, Your Miners have discovered a Vast underground Ocean.
Yes, that is a cavern with a large pool of endless water.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »

exactly so why was I wrong when I said a rare feature is an underground ocean?
Nom nom nom

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:20:21 pm »

cool
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »

exactly so why was I wrong when I said a rare feature is an underground ocean?
I don't think anyone said you were wrong, he was just pointing out that it isn't an isolated feature but part of the cavern layer.

The magma sea is a separate thing which always shows up at the bottom.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:19 am »

No you didn't - there is no such string in the executable for 0.31.18. The actual message you got was either "You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground." or "You have discovered a great magma sea."
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:56:32 am »

I got an underground ocean in my very first 31.x fort, and then it never appeared ever again. One cavern layer, one ocean layer, one magma layer. And it was 100% full to the brim, even in isolated ceiling pockets, like the magma sea. Though there were no creatures in it at all. I suppose maybe there could have been vermin fish, but I didn't try fishing from it.

I'm pretty sure there was a prompt about discovering an underground sea, too, but considering how long ago it was I can't be certain.

I suppose it's possible it's been removed since then (?? why would that happen).

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »

Now that I think about it, it was in one of my first forts, maybe Toady didn't like it and removed it at a later release?
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2