Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting bug...  (Read 716 times)

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting bug...
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »

So I decided to be !!economical!! and almost killed two of my legendary axedwarves!

I had a loafer sitting in my hospital for the last ten years with a scarred foot. I decided to knock some sense into him by collapsing the bed he was wasting down a level, so I channeled out the area around him, built a support a level down and attached it to the same lever I was using to power my Danger Room.

Well, apparently that causes an interesting bug! The tile collapsed fine, he woke up, stood there for a sec, then fell right back over and had to be carried to another damn bed. (damn it.) Oddly enough, as I was walling the dolt in so he could starve instead, I noticed several of my legendary axedwarves hobbling in with severe arm wounds. I checked my combat screen and low and behold!

Apparently the training spears actually did some serious damage striking them in the head and snapping a few arms, AND they got struck by clouds of boiling magma (??) and clouds of sand. All within the span of ONE lever pull.

I'm worried about pulling it again now! The support is gone of course, and the axedorfs will get better, but they had serious bone-through-skin wounds which doesn't even happen to my recruits, let alone adamantine-clad legendary ones from training spears!

Edit: can't post the combat log, apparently it's not a recent announcement anymore.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:10:45 pm by Jachim »

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Interesting bug...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »

Duplicate the save file and redo it. If it happens again, we can examine it.

For !!SCIENCE!!
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »

Apparently the training spears actually did some serious damage striking them in the head and snapping a few arms, AND they got struck by clouds of boiling magma (??) and clouds of sand. All within the span of ONE lever pull.

Cave-in dust is sometimes mistakenly labeled using the material's gas state rather than its solid powder  state (i.e. it's equivalent to it saying "steam" instead of "snow") - thus, while it may have said "boiling magma", it actually meant "stone dust".

Your lever pull created some stone dust, which harmed the axe dwarves. Cave-ins are very bad for anyone even remotely close. In that respect, they are realistic.

The Miners' Union sez, "Do not create conditions that can form cave-ins." They have included the following illustration (courtesy of linked from Wikimedia) to scare wayward dwarven administrators into compliance. Administrators who have no idea how horrible the conditions they create for their subjects are. Administrators like you.

Edit: The training spears were probably incidental. My guess is, the dwarves were engaging the spears when the cave-in happened, and thus the log continuously reads it as though the training spears did the damage. Or, this, and the cave-in knocked the dwarves into the spears harder than normal.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:36:56 pm by Funburns »

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:29 pm »

How far is your danger room from your hospital?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

It's likely that the cave-in caused dust which knocked out your soldiers temporarily, during which time they couldn't defend themselves against the repeated spikings they were enduring, which in turn damaged them.

Also, if the dwarf has a foot that's scarred badly enough that he can't stand (or, more likely, if he has motor nerve damage in his foot that stops him from moving it), he'll not move off the bed until he can stand again. If it's motor nerve damage, he'll never stand again in vanilla, though you may be able to mod nerves so that they heal and then have him eventually recover.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »

But what about the magma?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:15:28 pm »

The game sometimes refers to the dust from cave-ins as "boiling magma". It's a feature bug.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 03:24:23 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd upload the save but you'd probably laugh at me. My second successful fortress evar. :X

Anyway, the hospital is 1 Z-level down from my Danger Room, and the cave-in was created down one more Z-level.

I'm not sure how they got stunned from the cave-in if they weren't even on the same z-level, but I suppose the dust could have travelled up two Z-levels and maybe... distracted them and the spears were thirsty for revenge after 10 years of abuse...

edit: the Danger Room was not active until the moment of cave-in, as I attached the support beam TO the Danger Room lever.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:27:45 pm by Jachim »