Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Where do you put catacomes?  (Read 3723 times)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you put catacomes?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »

I just turn the dwarfs room in to a tomb after they die. It's already decorated and and it save me from having to dig more shit out.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »

In 0.31, I've been putting my catacombs just above the magma sea, generally in the area where I built my initial magma workshops (which I used while building a pump stack to bring magma closer to the surface). I never bother designating individual tombs (except for nobles), since you can't assign tombs to dwarves that are already dead and because individually assigned tombs cause nobles to get angry (about a "lesser's pretentious burial arrangements"). Actual arrangement is as follows:

Code: [Select]
Pets          Dwarves (with memorial slabs)
0.0.0.0.0.0   ∩.∩.∩.∩.∩.∩
...........   0.0.0.0.0.0
0.0.0.0.0.0   ...........
...........   ∩.∩.∩.∩.∩.∩
0.0.0.0.0.0   0.0.0.0.0.0
...........   ...........
0.0.0.0.0.0   ∩.∩.∩.∩.∩.∩
...........   0.0.0.0.0.0
0.0.0.0.0.0   ...........
...........   ∩.∩.∩.∩.∩.∩
0.0.0.0.0.0   0.0.0.0.0.0
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 06:25:58 pm »

Either a large room open to a large vertical underground chasm, or I honeycomb the side of said chasm and wall up individual alcoves as they are filled.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:05:12 pm »

I stash dead dwarves in the mined-out remains of mineral veins, and seal them up as they fill up. The earth gives us the stone, and to the stone we return.

Nobles are assigned a tomb while alive, which contains an unlinked lever. If the noble gets uppity, I assign him/her to pull the lever on repeat, then forbid the door and unassign the tomb. The noble will get out just as soon as they can open the forbidden door, and if they can't then they end up in the common burial halls.

Nobles in my fort do not generally die unexpectedly.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 12:21:54 am »

You know what i thought of when i read the topic title?

Catacombs.

Like, have cats guard the graves.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:52 am »

I usually put in mine some random corner. However I think it's agood idea to put them near some room you wish to boost the value of.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:24 am »

I put catacombs right between catabrushes and dogacombs.

By the hospital, and near the dungeons is the dead body pile. But the mausoleum visited in remembrance is more on the main thoroughfares through the fort, public and easy access. It forms a room like a zoo or a garden, where many visit. It might be near the church, if you build something like that in your fort.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:09:33 am by AngleWyrm »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 04:41:04 am »

i usualy go for a 5 by 5 room, with alcoves at the corners dug out, engraved, and i can expand the catacombs with the same design on the side etc all the way into the mountain. it keeps my miners busy and each 5x5 room can hold about 9 corpses and still look good.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 05:09:45 am »

I put catacombs right between catabrushes and dogacombs.

You need to better catalog your puns, this one is utter doggerel.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 07:38:26 am »

I normally have a corridor leading from the main hall to a shrine with stairs leading down to the multi-z catacombs,  I have them either square rooms joined by empty doorways, or long coridors with alcoves containing coffins.

With the whole you-want-to-know-where-your-corpses-are-at thing we have going as of most recent release I make sure to array them out in nice neat grids, assign coffins usable as it becomes necessary.  This lets me easily check if the corpses are making it to their coffins, and if not, I can make other arrangements before things get scary...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:06 am »

I think I'm going to make my next standard fort's burial chamber the same as my dining hall.

Let the population raise a glass to friends and family gone... also raise that glass at friends and family gone...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 11:04:42 am »

My obsession with building everything above ground means that I can't simply make a regular graveyard. I was struggling to think of a good area to build a graveyard, when I realized that using the platforms above the hospital would work just fine. Sure you might say there's something morally questionable about putting a graveyard on top of the hospital. I call that efficiency.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:16 am »

My obsession with building everything above ground means that I can't simply make a regular graveyard. I was struggling to think of a good area to build a graveyard, when I realized that using the platforms above the hospital would work just fine. Sure you might say there's something morally questionable about putting a graveyard on top of the hospital. I call that efficiency.

I just got a nice image in my head: floors of remains sitting on engraved plaques. Cataloged bone yard. Future kiloproject (less than mega, bigger than nothing). BTW, you could just dig a hole for a grave, sort've like graveyards are actually like. Sort've like this:
___ ....
__O   /
Where obviously O is a grave, / is a slop, and ... is a hole.

I personally have peasant burial grounds and huge tombs with a watery smiley face. the shift-square (11x11 I think) makes up each one, which I then dig out 3 holes 2 squarsd off the center, and an arch around the back. Later, I fill it with water.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »

I recently build up a decent tomb structure for my dwarves in Gemspike:

The upper half are tombs for notable dwarves, typically legendaries and warriors. These are 3x3 tombs that have a simple system of magma plumbing above, with a hatch connected to each lever. When a dwarf deserving on one of these tombs dies, his body is interred there in an iron coffin (by careful management of allowing/disallowing coffins for burial), and then the two legendary engravers engrave the walls of the tomb. A headstone is placed opposite the opening, which is then sealed by a glass window. The lever is then pulled, filling the tomb with magma and cremating the body within the tomb (thus the reason for the headstone.) The lever is then deconstructed to ensure that the spirit of the dwarf forever has access to the volcano and it earthblood.

The bottom is the mass grave for everyone else, comprised of 100 green glass coffins. Three dwarves fell into the volcano before the bridge was set up, so their coffins are empty, and the have slabs set off at the bottom.

The whole set-up is, of course, just above and to the right of the hospital.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »

I build large memorial halls for all my Dwarves, just because I like the way it looks (though Dwarves don't have their own rooms unless they're really important). I usually dig down a few more levels than where my main area is built, and I like to keep it close to my hospital.

Here is a picture of the design, because I don't have one built yet in this fortress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the end of each bit I put the coffin and, if time allows, make an engraved slab in the space in front of each one. I also put statues in the corners of the room and usually a statue or memorial in the middle.

It's a real bitch doing the slabs, because names already made can't  be removed from the build list, and because when building the slabs, they don't say who they belong to. Same goes for building statues (which I don't really do for gravesites). I wish it would list each individual statue, if they're different.

My dedicated tombs for important people are usually 15x15 in size, with states at each corner as well as one on the middle of each of the walls. I then build coffins and then engraved slabs in front of them (diagonal for the 4 corner ones).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4