Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Where do you put catacomes?  (Read 3715 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Where do you put catacomes?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »

I usually put the coffin in each dwarfs room. Then they feel solid and re-assured.

When I don't do that, I line all of the main hallways with coffins. You can't forget the past if you are always passing the coffins.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

I usually carve a necropolis, with free standing pillars and buildings in it. Temple/tombs for important dwarves, crypts for the rabble.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 06:16:38 pm »

Where do I put the catacombs?

I build an Abyss for them. ;)
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 06:26:53 pm »

I build large memorial halls for all my Dwarves, just because I like the way it looks (though Dwarves don't have their own rooms unless they're really important). I usually dig down a few more levels than where my main area is built, and I like to keep it close to my hospital.

Here is a picture of the design, because I don't have one built yet in this fortress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the end of each bit I put the coffin and, if time allows, make an engraved slab in the space in front of each one. I also put statues in the corners of the room and usually a statue or memorial in the middle.

It's a real bitch doing the slabs, because names already made can't  be removed from the build list, and because when building the slabs, they don't say who they belong to. Same goes for building statues (which I don't really do for gravesites). I wish it would list each individual statue, if they're different.

My dedicated tombs for important people are usually 15x15 in size, with states at each corner as well as one on the middle of each of the walls. I then build coffins and then engraved slabs in front of them (diagonal for the 4 corner ones).

If you hit (x) when building your slabs, they'll list them individually and you'll be able to see at least the first few letters of the name, more if you hit tab a few times and bring out the minimap.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 06:52:02 pm »

Tombs go on the top level of the Endless Stair.  Common (and disliked) dead are interred in 3x3 rooms with a statue in the center.  The coffins are made up of common stone.  When the room is full, the entrance is sealed.  Noble tombs go in a straight line towards the founder tombs, which are never much bigger than mausoleums.  These coffins are made of Silver/Gold/Platinum/Pitchblende.
I like me a grand gravesite.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »

I put coffins in the gems/ore that I mine out so they aren't TO far out of the way but when I hit a good vein it still has plenty of room for them.  If it's a dwarf I actually CARE about then I find a nice, secluded area where I can dig a grand tomb for them and decorate it with their favorite items,
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:29 pm »

Sure you might say there's something morally questionable about putting a graveyard on top of the hospital. I call that efficiency.

This should be a signature. I am going to put it in my sig I think.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 11:19:13 pm »

Can i just go off-topic for a second here?

I put catacombs right between catabrushes and dogacombs.

You need to better catalog your puns, this one is utter doggerel.

I was so amazed this didn't derail the thread into a bunch of cat and dog puns that it almost made me...

Catatonic.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:25 am »

I'll be doggone, yer right, it should have catapulted the thread into absurdity. Maybe we just got the guys that drew the short straws in English tonight.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:18:34 am by AngleWyrm »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 12:25:21 am »

Perhaps. Any way it happened, it still prevented a catastrophe.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 12:26:33 am »

To me, those puns were a welcomed catharsis.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 12:29:25 am »

So long as we don't go barking up the wrong tree, we should be fine.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 01:12:55 am »

I generally put my dwarves' coffins on the level where the cavern first starts.  The random chunks of empty space caused by the open areas means it's not a good space for my usual massively open design plans, and to me closer to the caverns is more respectful in some vague way, so I dig out winding passage ways all over the place and make them as random as possible for no particular reason.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 01:59:50 am »

My necropolis is generally in the same block as the main hospital, where I keep the rank-and-file bureaucrat dorfs.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 07:48:57 am »

Tombs? What a brilliant idea. I'm used to just leaving corpses where they fall and putting up a tombstone next to it...or in the general area where all the pieces fell. Or just throwing it into the magma sea to try and get it near the remains.

But that's only for the dwarfs I like. The ones I don't like go into my "haunted house" area (ghouls and ghosts and goblins! Oh My!). Which coincidentally connects to the nursery. The little dwarf kids love that Halloween stuff.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4